The Student Room Group

english a level help

right now i am getting Bs and Cs in essays, and my grades are averaging to a LOW B. i need an A for my offer (from cambridge, so i would be devastated if i missed my offer), but i struggle so much with english that i don't know how to improve. i do all set homework and revise and everything but i just am not improving (getting worse, infact)

does anyone have any tips please!!
Original post by mymelo
right now i am getting Bs and Cs in essays, and my grades are averaging to a LOW B. i need an A for my offer (from cambridge, so i would be devastated if i missed my offer), but i struggle so much with english that i don't know how to improve. i do all set homework and revise and everything but i just am not improving (getting worse, infact)

Hi! It’s amazing you got an offer from Cambridge! I study English literature I’m not sure if your talking about English language if it’s English literature I can maybe offer some advice that gets me A’s in my essays
Reply 2
Original post by rrstar
Hi! It’s amazing you got an offer from Cambridge! I study English literature I’m not sure if your talking about English language if it’s English literature I can maybe offer some advice that gets me A’s in my essays

hello yes i mean literature!
Original post by mymelo

Hi! I got an A in English Lit at A-level and went on to study it, so I think I can help! I think the big thing about English essays is they can be really exciting! Arguing your point and expressing what YOU think and then proving it with evidence feels far easier to write, rather than writing it from the perspective of worrying about hitting marks and shoehorning in words. See if you can find any examples online, I've just had a quick look and found one on WordPress after googling 'Desdemona Shakespeare essay', it even had the Assessment Objectives highlighted. A's come in English lit when the writing itself feels confident and deliberate, so look at as many examples of A's as you can and steal the best sentences from them for your work!
I hope that helps, keep doing practise papers and engaging with the texts, whether that being watching videos or the films of them even!

Quick Reply

Latest