The Student Room Group

I wish there actually was a god.

Maybe then life would have been very different.
There would be no murdered children,no disease,rape, abuse,injustice, corruption.

But when you open the newspaper, from any country any day it is strinkingly clear there is no god : murdered children,disease,fatal accidents,rape,abuse,injustice.

I once read in a book and it is true that if there is but one mistake in the universe , the existence of a god is a moral impossibility.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Balbazor1
There would be no murdered children,no disease,rape, abuse,injustice, corruption.

But when you open the newspaper, from any country any day it is strinkingly clear there is no god : murdered children,disease,fatal accidents,rape,abuse,injustice.

I once read in a book and it is true that if there is but one mistake in the universe , the existence of a god is a moral impossibility.

Are you a philosopher? If so that ^^ deserves top marks.

In general, religious people believe it's Adam and Eves fault that there is evil in the world due to them taking the choice of eating the fruit in the middle of the garden. Hence why mankind is in severe punishment from God. We are all part of one big team.
Reply 2
Well back in the ancient times, most people believed in God and there was still crimes happening.

Yeah, hypothetically speaking if there was a God with power over everyone and everyone knew that he was there, it'd be interesting to see how the world would be
Reply 3
Original post by Ekno

Yeah, hypothetically speaking if there was a God with power over everyone and everyone knew that he was there, it'd be interesting to see how the world would be

That's called a Dictatorship. See Hitler for more information.
Reply 4
Original post by Fordrin
That's called a Dictatorship. See Hitler for more information.

loooooooooooooool i dont think God would have the same ideology as Hitler
Reply 5
Original post by Ekno

Think about it though. God dislikes non-believers, so he would eradicate them. Just like Hitler hated Jews. God would want all to bow down to him and worship him. Hitler made the army swear a vow to him only (not his country). In theory God still wouldn't make himself visible, but heard. He would use his power to communicate. But he would never come out in a physical form.
Reply 6
I actually think the world is a 'better' place because of those things, it's the diversity, chance and will to make our own mistakes that make life worth living and not just slave labour.
Reply 7
Original post by whorace
I actually think the world is a 'better' place because of those things, it's the diversity, chance and will to make our own mistakes that make life worth living and not just slave labour.

Ther murder of children makes the world a better place?!?!.

You sick ****.
Reply 8

You sick ****.

Definitely, if you ask me the worlds too PC these days
Reply 9
Original post by whorace
Definitely, if you ask me the worlds too PC these days

If it was up to me you, and all sick ****s like you would be hanging from their balls.

You sick ****.

I thought you were up for a sensible debate, until I saw this post.
Reply 12
Original post by ODES_PDES
I thought you were up for a sensible debate, until I saw this post.

There is a limit to every "sensible debate".
Reply 13

That's 'free will' for you, we are destroying the world and each other by choice.
I'm an atheist, but I must say that this is one of the worst justifications for there not being a god ever :lol:
Speak for yourself.
Reply 16
Original post by Shillary
Speak for yourself.

Yes, I think he is.
Original post by whorace
Yes, I think he is.

Evidently false as he is implying that applies to most people.

If he is suggesting that that only applies to himself then that is an even weaker justification for why "child murder" makes life "worth living".
'Spices of life'?

Paprika and Saffron are the spices of life. Not conflict and distress. I agree with the last paragraph but the first two were silly.
Original post by Ekno

Hard to know, isn't it? I mean, if you take the Old Testament as a guide, God was a jealous, angry, unfeeling tyrant with a thing about gay people and women and a tendency to wipe out whole cities because they'd been partying too much. :teehee:

Even if you believe in some kind of remote 'Godhead' who is sort of imbued in the compassionate nature of the cosmos and that kind of thing (Buddhism, hippies, some physicists, etc), you still don't really know that She's a good God, whatever 'good' means. For example, it might be that on their metaphysical God-plane, it makes sense to eliminate the Earth tomorrow and that is deemed 'good'. Not for us, but a Cosmic Gardener cleaning up the lawn from bugs might not take that view.

So we have scaling and perspective issues as well as moral ones to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest