The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Applying for an MPhil at Cambridge

This is an EXTREMELY last minute decision because I've only just had an epiphany. I'm in my final year of law and was aiming to join a job I already had lined up until I noticed that the deadline for an MPhil in a subject I really enjoyed (and suprisingly did decent in??) in is open for applications until March 26th. However I've seen posts saying they take in students on a rolling basis and applying this late would be unfruitful. Should I still attempt to apply, or am I just flushing the £50 application fee the toilet? Especially as I had terrible grades in second year (had extenuating medical circumstances which my uni can back up), and will only be on track for a low 2:1 (while they require a high 2:1). God, just typing that out made me realise how delusional I sound but I need someone else to tell me that.
Original post by cantbeblankk
This is an EXTREMELY last minute decision because I've only just had an epiphany. I'm in my final year of law and was aiming to join a job I already had lined up until I noticed that the deadline for an MPhil in a subject I really enjoyed (and suprisingly did decent in??) in is open for applications until March 26th. However I've seen posts saying they take in students on a rolling basis and applying this late would be unfruitful. Should I still attempt to apply, or am I just flushing the £50 application fee the toilet? Especially as I had terrible grades in second year (had extenuating medical circumstances which my uni can back up), and will only be on track for a low 2:1 (while they require a high 2:1). God, just typing that out made me realise how delusional I sound but I need someone else to tell me that.

Hi, just saw your post. My advice would actually be to go for it (if you still have enough time to put the application together before the deadline). I applied for an MPhil which also took students on a rolling basis and could in theory have filled its places before the deadline (and was also told this was a possibility), but in the end was offered a place even after applying on the day of the deadline itself. Yes you may lose £50, but regret can cost a lot more than that in the long run, so I would go for it, unless you are in a really tight financial situation. All the best to you.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, just saw your post. My advice would actually be to go for it (if you still have enough time to put the application together before the deadline). I applied for an MPhil which also took students on a rolling basis and could in theory have filled its places before the deadline (and was also told this was a possibility), but in the end was offered a place even after applying on the day of the deadline itself. Yes you may lose £50, but regret can cost a lot more than that in the long run, so I would go for it, unless you are in a really tight financial situation. All the best to you.

thank you thank you thank YOUUUU!! you have no idea how much seeing your comment means to me and im glad things worked out for you!! finished up applying yesterday but even if it doesnt work out, at least i tried :')
Original post by cantbeblankk
thank you thank you thank YOUUUU!! you have no idea how much seeing your comment means to me and im glad things worked out for you!! finished up applying yesterday but even if it doesnt work out, at least i tried :')

You're welcome! I'm so glad you felt encouraged and decided to apply, wishing you the best of luck and hope you get accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending