The Student Room Group

Help please.

Hello all.

I have been really confused since quite a days. I'm going to study Law LLB (undergrad). I always had a strong passion for International Relations. I have a option of studying 'Law with International Relations' at University of Central Lancashire. On other hand I also have a offer for studying 'Law with Business' at Nottingham Trent university. I am tempted towards studying Law with Business as it would help me greatly in corporate sector. However I have a real passion for International Relations. I'm so confused and literally depressed lol. I want to ask 2 questions -

1) Could I do masters in International Relations once I study Law with International Relations (LLB)?

2) If I go on with Law with Business , could I do a MBA after completing Law with Business?

I'm sorry if I have been asking silly questions but I really am very confused.
Original post by J-SP
Either option is fine. You could take a masters or MBA afterwards. However, neither will be necessary for the career, only for your personal desire to study the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. It's not that the choice literally has no bearing, since learning two different things is exactly like that: you'll learn two different things. The way you apply what you've learned in your career will differ accordingly. However, if corporate is what you see yourself ultimately getting into, then just go with what you want. Or neither, even.
Reply 2
Thankyou so much. Well I love IR so I may opt for Law with International Relations. I'm just worried about job prospects. However if I study masters and even doctorate after Law with International Relations, I wouldn't have much job issues. The only thing I wanted to know is that whether I could study masters in IR after undergrad LLB or not :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply. My passion has always been International relations. I feel Law with International Relations would be ideal for me. I just wanted to know whether I would be 'eligible' to do masters in International Relations or not? :smile:
Mi pick would be taking a law degree. Take an mba after. For you to be sure what steps to make, Inquire to the unis that offers the degree you're interested to. Best of luck
Original post by J-SP
Either option is fine. You could take a masters or MBA afterwards. However, neither will be necessary for the career, only for your personal desire to study the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to clarify, a worthwhile MBA usually requires 3-5 years (or more) of work experience. So OP wouldn't be able to do one directly afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What about studying masters in international relations just in case ?
OP do you want to be a lawyer or not? If the answer is yes you'll probably be so busy jumping through the hoops that requires that you won't have time to think about a masters degree for several years, if at all. You can have a look at websites of some potential masters courses you might be interested in and see what their pre-requisites are, but that's several years away. Good luck!
Original post by Duncan2012
OP do you want to be a lawyer or not? If the answer is yes you'll probably be so busy jumping through the hoops that requires that you won't have time to think about a masters degree for several years, if at all. You can have a look at websites of some potential masters courses you might be interested in and see what their pre-requisites are, but that's several years away. Good luck!

Hahaha that is the truth, and a lesson on taking it one step at a time. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by J-SP
In case of what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For my interest in IR :P
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012

Oh thankyou :smile: I'm just too confused whether to go for Law with Business or Law with International Relations. :/
yes and yes as long as you have the money.

Although you like the international relations i would do soem research into what careeers that would lead to. Identify the people who do the job you want amd how they got there. O doubt the international relations aspect of any qyalifications they have was significant.

I dont think it makes much difference, do the one you enjoy and get good grades. Most lawyers are standard law or non law + GDL, then LPC. Omternational lawuers tend to be good at law first and foremost. If you wnat to be international relations then go and join the FCO.
Original post by Ibii97
Oh thankyou :smile: I'm just too confused whether to go for Law with Business or Law with International Relations. :/

At the stage you're at, it probably makes very little, if any, difference. Go with the course that you'll find more interesting, which sounds like law with international relations.

If you do end up in corporate law, you will learn everything you need to know through your training. You won't need to have covered any of it during your undergrad course.

So, do you want to be a lawyer or would you rather work somewhere like the FCO?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending