The Student Room Group

What is wrong with this government?

First it was working tax credits, then increasing the school day, now cutting disability benefits? Come on David, and come on Britain? Is this really the country we want our children to be brought up in?!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
First it was working tax credits, then increasing the school day, now cutting disability benefits? Come on David, and come on Britain? Is this really the country we want our children to be brought up in?!?

Apart from cutting the benefits of the disabled (only the ones who are ACTUALLY disabled) i cant say i disagree with anything else.
Everything.
Original post by mscaffrey
Everything.

Explain..
Original post by TSRFT8
Explain..

I'm in the process of writing a book that will explain all the problems with this government. It's going to be a long one.
I'm in the process of writing a book that will explain all the problems with this government. It's going to be a long one.

Apart from the disability benefit cut, name 2 other things
Original post by TSRFT8

Increased tuition fees
Cutting maintenance grants

There's your two, but there are a million more.
Reply 7
Should beds and couches be regarded as disability needs and therefore require extra income? That's more or less what the reform is about.

The rest i agree with, the state spends far too much on needless stuff.
They're careerists. They don't care what's best for the country, they want to get votes, and they're appealing to a specific demographic that we're not a part of.

They're corrupt. They serve the interests of themselves and their rich friends, not their constituents. This is why, for example, they're giving tax cuts to the most well-off even though we've seen over the last 5 years that the idea of "it will bring more rich people/businesses to the country" is false. Or why they refuse to legalize cannabis in spite of huge public support, claiming that it harms society, while freezing duty on alcohol, which happens to be more dangerous than a lot of Class A drugs.

And they're out of touch. They don't know what the **** they're talking about. Michael Gove reformed our entire education system based on this weird nostalgia, completely ignoring statistics and expert opinions. David Cameron pushing this ludicrous attempt to ban encryption when he doesn't even know what encryption is, and can't even begin to fathom the implications.

They're horrible old dinosaurs.
Original post by TSRFT8

Bedroom tax
Cuts to tax credits
Ongoing cocking up on benefits system in general (this isn't the first or only cut to disability benefits, and as someone currently claiming ESA government policies relating to it have impacted my life a lot over the past few years - have you seen the issues regarding deaths of people who have been classed as fit to work by government guidelines?)
Cuts to social care, not to mention woefully underfunded mental health services even in the midst of an acknowledged mental health crisis
Vote on EU while the public seems kind of uninformed and the government is split about what we should do - puts the country in danger of being affected by a major decision being made by people who have a minimal idea of the impact such a decision will have on us
Original post by Optimum_
Increased tuition fees
Cutting maintenance grants

There's your two, but there are a million more.

Labour tripled tutition fees, lets not blame the tories for the mess they created firstly. Secondly cutting maintence grants, HOW does an individual need more than £8,200 + £2-3k from university grants/bursaries to live on at university, or are you upset because now you cant use taxpayers money to go out partying and buying expensive things to show off?
Original post by john2054

Wolf is sheep's clothing?
Singling out this government is showing a woeful ignorance common with youth.

There is no government on this planet or in the entirety of history that hasn't done things that have annoyed people.
Original post by TSRFT8
Labour tripled tutition fees, lets not blame the tories for the mess they created firstly. Secondly cutting maintence grants, HOW does an individual need more than £8,200 + £2-3k from university grants/bursaries to live on at university, or are you upset because now you cant use taxpayers money to go out partying and buying expensive things to show off?

Not everyone gets a grant or bursary from their place of higher education (I won't be getting one from my local college) and some universities only offer a £1000 grant. Rents can be around £6000 for the year (en-suite - I need en-suite due to medical conditions) and then the £2000-£3000 you get has to cover food (and students shouldn't have to live on beans and instant noodles if we're trying to maintain our health to save the NHS money in the long term), as well as any bills you have, course costs (travel, textbooks/set books), and maybe even costs you have in the holidays if you're not able to work. The money quickly gets stretched even when you're trying to be sensible (this comes from someone who doesn't drink alcohol or go clubbing at all).
Original post by TSRFT8

Who has been getting 10k+? I am on the maximum and I certainly don't!
Original post by TSRFT8

£3k is reasonable, however I do feel University should be free so yes, Labour are partly to blame.

However last time I checked, it was not Labour that increased tuition fees to £9,000 per year. That was the Conservatives, spin it however you want, it was the Tories that implemented it (granted the likes of Nick Clegg foolishly supported it).

Now the grant, yes some students go out partying, but many students also have jobs, they have every right to party. You see, we spend our money on rent, food, books, equipment (for those that need to) and still many of us also have part time jobs.

Judging by the tone of your writing, you either aren't a student yourself or you aren't having a good time wherever or whatever you are studying.
Bedroom tax
Cuts to tax credits
Ongoing cocking up on benefits system in general (this isn't the first or only cut to disability benefits, and as someone currently claiming ESA government policies relating to it have impacted my life a lot over the past few years - have you seen the issues regarding deaths of people who have been classed as fit to work by government guidelines?)
Cuts to social care, not to mention woefully underfunded mental health services even in the midst of an acknowledged mental health crisis
Vote on EU while the public seems kind of uninformed and the government is split about what we should do - puts the country in danger of being affected by a major decision being made by people who have a minimal idea of the impact such a decision will have on us

Bedroom Tax: Are you joking WHY do you need a bedroom when no one is living there? If you need the tax payer to pay for your house what gives you the right too own a 5 bedroom house with 3 people?

Cuts to tax credits: Lets discuss child tax credits, the welfare state is TOO big, you can not sit and expect the rich to pay for everything for you. If you cant afford to have kids why are you having them? The taxpayer did not have your kid why should they pay for it?

Ongoing cocking up on benefits system: Lets be honest, the welfare state is too big, the benefits as they were just a breeding ground for people to be lazy and not go to work as there was no/is no incentive too work with the amount of thing available to those on benefits (most people on JSA DO NOT want to work lets just be honest). Yes some people genuinely need it and those people should get MORE but some people were stealing a living. However i do not blame them if i was getting £15k on benefits and £13k in a 40 hour week job i wouldnt pick the latter either.

Cuts to social care, underfunded mental health services: I have done work experience with Psychiatrist, the things people come in there for i am suprised the doctors dont get pissed off, one lady came in saying "im going to kill myself tonight doc" lets be honest you arent you just want somewhere to stay for the night - And i was right, she came back 2 weeks later, shock.
Original post by TSRFT8

Buying expensive things?

I'll be getting about £5k, which won't even cover accommodation in halls.
Original post by TSRFT8
Bedroom Tax: Are you joking WHY do you need a bedroom when no one is living there? If you need the tax payer to pay for your house what gives you the right too own a 5 bedroom house with 3 people?

Cuts to tax credits: Lets discuss child tax credits, the welfare state is TOO big, you can not sit and expect the rich to pay for everything for you. If you cant afford to have kids why are you having them? The taxpayer did not have your kid why should they pay for it?

Ongoing cocking up on benefits system: Lets be honest, the welfare state is too big, the benefits as they were just a breeding ground for people to be lazy and not go to work as there was no/is no incentive too work with the amount of thing available to those on benefits (most people on JSA DO NOT want to work lets just be honest). Yes some people genuinely need it and those people should get MORE but some people were stealing a living. However i do not blame them if i was getting £15k on benefits and £13k in a 40 hour week job i wouldnt pick the latter either.

Cuts to social care, underfunded mental health services: I have done work experience with Psychiatrist, the things people come in there for i am suprised the doctors dont get pissed off, one lady came in saying "im going to kill myself tonight doc" lets be honest you arent you just want somewhere to stay for the night - And i was right, she came back 2 weeks later, shock.

Why did you do work experience with psychiatrists? I really hope you don't want to be one.
Not everyone gets a grant or bursary from their place of higher education (I won't be getting one from my local college) and some universities only offer a £1000 grant. Rents can be around £6000 for the year (en-suite - I need en-suite due to medical conditions) and then the £2000-£3000 you get has to cover food (and students shouldn't have to live on beans and instant noodles if we're trying to maintain our health to save the NHS money in the long term), as well as any bills you have, course costs (travel, textbooks/set books), and maybe even costs you have in the holidays if you're not able to work. The money quickly gets stretched even when you're trying to be sensible (this comes from someone who doesn't drink alcohol or go clubbing at all).

Well i am sorry about your situation, but (maybe im wrong) dont you get extra for disability and does your disability mean you can not get a job? If so then surely you are entitled to benefits or extra funding? There is no way i can believe you are only entitled to the maximum with a disability? Even things like dyslexia are given extra?..

Original post by Jenx301
Who has been getting 10k+? I am on the maximum and I certainly don't!

£8,200 is the maximum and well you clearly are not.

Original post by Optimum_
£3k is reasonable, however I do feel University should be free so yes, Labour are partly to blame.

However last time I checked, it was not Labour that increased tuition fees to £9,000 per year. That was the Conservatives, spin it however you want, it was the Tories that implemented it (granted the likes of Nick Clegg foolishly supported it).

Now the grant, yes some students go out partying, but many students also have jobs, they have every right to party. You see, we spend our money on rent, food, books, equipment (for those that need to) and still many of us also have part time jobs.

Judging by the tone of your writing, you either aren't a student yourself or you aren't having a good time wherever or whatever you are studying.

University should be free - But who will fund for it? It has to be paid for somehow? Also no i am not a student so maybe my post comes across as ignorant as i can only go off what i have heard.

Original post by JordanL_
Buying expensive things?I'll be getting about £5k, which won't even cover accommodation in halls.

Some get £3,000, that problem lies with SFE and i have countless thread on areas of reform regarding SFE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending