The Student Room Group

Conflicted- What should I do?

I’ve constantly received negative opinions from people when I say that I would like to study politics at uni and I’m often told my degree will be useless. Now that I think about it, there’s not much opportunities for me in the political field, the government cut down on jobs and the wages are quite low. Don’t get me wrong I’m really interested in Politics but I would like a job which can fund the lifestyle I want to live. I’ve been looking into other courses and have found Sonography and Diagnostic Radiography to be very interesting. The only issue is I’m horrendous at science and maths (however I did achieve Bs at GCSE, I got a C in maths though). I was wondering what would undergrad course I’d need to do in order to do sonography at Uni as I’m pretty sure it’s only available as a post grad degree. I don’t want to sound silly but do you think it’s worth while if I resit my Maths GCSE since I’d probably need minimum B grade and my Science GCSE for a refresh because I genuinely forgot most of the things I was taught.
Reply 1
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
I’ve constantly received negative opinions from people when I say that I would like to study politics at uni and I’m often told my degree will be useless. Now that I think about it, there’s not much opportunities for me in the political field, the government cut down on jobs and the wages are quite low. Don’t get me wrong I’m really interested in Politics but I would like a job which can fund the lifestyle I want to live. I’ve been looking into other courses and have found Sonography and Diagnostic Radiography to be very interesting. The only issue is I’m horrendous at science and maths (however I did achieve Bs at GCSE, I got a C in maths though). I was wondering what would undergrad course I’d need to do in order to do sonography at Uni as I’m pretty sure it’s only available as a post grad degree. I don’t want to sound silly but do you think it’s worth while if I resit my Maths GCSE since I’d probably need minimum B grade and my Science GCSE for a refresh because I genuinely forgot most of the things I was taught.

You have made the fundamental error in assuming that a Politics degree is some sort training couse for Politicians - it isnt.
Those with a Politics degree will end up in a thousand different careers. Employers want the 'higher thinking skills' that any degree teaches you - the actual subject matter is irrelevant.

And if you just want to focus on 'money I'll get' then try drug dealing or robbing banks. If you want a more satisfying life, then think a bit deeper than just 'lifestyle' because NHS jobs dont pay heaps either.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
You have made the fundamental error in assuming that a Politics degree is some sort training couse for Politicians - it isnt.

And if you just want to focus on 'money I'll get' then try drug dealing or robbing banks. If you want a more satisfying life, then think a bit deeper than just 'lifestyle' because NHS jobs dont pay heaps either.

Yes I am aware that with a Politics degree you can go into other jobs outside of Politics but I wanted a job in the civil service (government cut down on jobs & apprenticeships) or I wanted to become a diplomat/politician (very competitive & lack of jobs).

I am also aware that NHS jobs don’t pay much because I work for the NHS :smile: Sonography is just the only other thing that appeals to me besides Politics and it just so happens to pay more too which is another positive for me. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a job that pays high (I know it’s not the highest paying job but it pays more than cs apprenticeships) there would be an issue if I was ONLY getting the job because of its income especially if it was in healthcare but I’m not.
Original post by Shaylahnaomi

Sonography is very competitive. The majority of applicants will have a degree in nursing, midwifery, diagnostic radiography or therapeutic radiography and a few years' work experience before they apply. The good news though - both types of radiography are exception courses so you would be able to apply for both tuition fee and maintenance loans. If you study at a uni in England, you could also be eligible for an annual training grant of around £5k per year from the NHS Learning Support Fund.

Most unis require at least one science at A level for radiography courses, and there is physics content. Use the following link to search for HCPC-approved courses and check if you meet the entry requirements:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending