The Student Room Group

I'm scared of coming out as Non-binary

I've been slowly coming out to friends and work as being non-binary, because I feel comfortable and that I won't be judged around them, but yet, I'm frightened to come out to my family.
I think it's because they don't really understand being trans or non-binary, and they have said some bad things against it, and with what the government are trying to do at the minute, I'm panicked about coming out.
What do I do?
First of all, well done you for coming out to your colleagues and friends! That's a step in the right direction.
Coming out to your family is an important thing that people do have to go through.
If you want to tell them and you feel like the time is right, then do it! Perhaps, talking to them about their views on the matter and what the government are doing etc in a calm manner will be good to start the conversation going before actually telling them.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You have the freedom to choose how much your private life and beliefs you are willing to share with other people & with whom.
Put your health and physical safety first.
If there is a risk of being left homeless or targeted for domestic abuse by your parents, don't risk it.
Wait until you are able to finance your own accomodation and have access to savings plus a regular paycheck.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You have the freedom to choose how much your private life and beliefs you are willing to share with other people & with whom.
Put your health and physical safety first.
If there is a risk of being left homeless or targeted for domestic abuse by your parents, don't risk it.
Wait until you are able to finance your own accomodation and have access to savings plus a regular paycheck.
Good luck!

Luckily, my health and physical safety is fine right now, I thunk the main reason I'm scared is how they've said things about being trans or non-binary, so I wanna keep quiet
Have you told your parents or are you still in the closet? There's nothing wrong with being non binary or trans, I am trans myself. Totally get about not telling the parents though I am in the same situation, my parents are homphobes and transphobes and think that women should be girly and that transgender people don't exist so I'm currently closeted to them at least but not to my boyfriend who supports me. I would say keep it to yourself but come out to your friends or other people who are open with it, go to pride. You will definately feel welcome there seeing loads of people who are LGBTQ especially the ones in the cities such as London. It will definately make you feel better especially the parade. But don't tell your parents. It's all about your safety and emotional wellbeing, protecting yourself is more important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending