The Student Room Group

C4 integration question

image.jpeg

Hi guys,

Is anyone able to help me with this integration question from the Heinemann textbook? :smile:

I've managed to get up to here so far:

Attachment not found

But I don't know where to go now :frown:

(The final answer is y^2 = 8x/(x+2))

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jasminetwine
image.jpeg

Hi guys,

Is anyone able to help me with this integration question from the Heinemann textbook? :smile:

I've managed to get up to here so far:

Attachment not found

But I don't know where to go now :frown:

(The final answer is y^2 = 8x/(x+2))

Thanks in advance :smile:

I'm assuming you have lny=12lnx12lnx+2+c=12(lnxlnx+2)+c\ln y = \frac{1}{2} \ln |x| - \frac{1}{2} \ln |x+2| + c = \frac{1}{2}(\ln |x| - \ln |x+2|) + c

In which case, this gets you lny=12lnAxx+2=lnAxx+2\displaystyle \ln y = \frac{1}{2}\ln \left|\frac{Ax}{x+2} \right|= \ln \sqrt{\frac{Ax}{x+2}} for some arbitrary constant AA, using the power rule for logarithms and "cancelling" the logs gets you

y=Axx+2\displaystyle y = \sqrt{\frac{Ax}{x+2}} and can you then use the given information to find AA?

Alternatively, you could have done:
Unparseable latex formula:

\ln y = \frac{1}{2} \left|\frac{Ax}{x+2}right| \Rightarrow 2 \ln y = ln \frac{Ax}{x+2} \Rightarrow \ln y^2 = \ln \frac{Ax}{x+2}

and using the power rule on 2lny2\ln y which is more elegant in my opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
I'm assuming you have lny=12lnx12lnx+2+c=12(lnxlnx+2)+c\ln y = \frac{1}{2} \ln |x| - \frac{1}{2} \ln |x+2| + c = \frac{1}{2}(\ln |x| - \ln |x+2|) + c

In which case, this gets you lny=12lnAxx+2=lnAxx+2\displaystyle \ln y = \frac{1}{2}\ln \left|\frac{Ax}{x+2} \right|= \ln \sqrt{\frac{Ax}{x+2}} for some arbitrary constant AA, using the power rule for logarithms and "cancelling" the logs gets you

y=Axx+2\displaystyle y = \sqrt{\frac{Ax}{x+2}} and can you then use the given information to find AA?

Alternatively, you could have done:
Unparseable latex formula:

\ln y = \frac{1}{2} \left|\frac{Ax}{x+2}right| \Rightarrow 2 \ln y = ln \frac{Ax}{x+2} \Rightarrow \ln y^2 = \ln \frac{Ax}{x+2}

and using the power rule on 2lny2\ln y which is more elegant in my opinion.

How did you get from...

image.jpeg

To...

Attachment not found

Thank you! :smile:
How did you get from...

image.jpeg

To...

Attachment not found

you can write c as 0.5lnA without any loss of generality...
Reply 4
How did you get from...

image.jpeg

To...

Attachment not found

It's an arbitrary constant, so I can do whatever I'd like with it - but if it makes you happy, we can do this:

lny=12lnx12lnx+2+12lne2c\ln y = \frac{1}{2} \ln x - \frac{1}{2} \ln |x+2| + \frac{1}{2} \ln e^{2c} since c=lnecc=12lne2cc = \ln e^c \Rightarrow c = \frac{1}{2} \ln e^{2c}

So that I get 2lny=lne2cxx+22\ln y = \ln \frac{e^{2c}x}{x+2} but then you can just say A=e2cA=e^{2c} without needing to bother for the sake of simplicity.

So we get lny2=lnAxx+2\ln y^2 = \ln \frac{Ax}{x+2} once again, although you could have just as well left it in the form above if you wanted.
Reply 5
How did you get from...

image.jpeg

To...

Attachment not found

Call c, 0.5 ln A and then take out the half as a common factor. Inside the bracket use the rules of logs (log a + log b = log ab and log a - log b = log a/b) to collect together the log A, log x and - log |x+2| into one log.

The trick of changing c to log k is very common in doing the algebra in tidying up solutions of DEs
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Alternatively, you could plug in your conditions for y, x right away from 2lny=lnxlnx+2+2c2\ln y = \ln x - \ln |x+2| + 2c to find cc - if that makes you more comfortable.
Thanks for your help your help guys!

Here are my workings, if anybody is interested!

image.jpg

Thanks again!

Have a lovely weekend everybody!
Reply 8
Thanks for your help your help guys!

First class work.

Which do you think is your favourite method? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest