The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford

Hi guys, basically I have always wanted to study at Oxford, I am totally in love with every aspect of the university and the place and have tried to persuade myself to forget about Oxford and focus elsewhere but I can't:s-smilie:. I want to study History (possible with English) and am hopeful that I can receive AAA in English lit, History and Religious Studies at A2 (I am currently AS). The problem is my GCSE results, I did not get A/A* across the board and have been worrying that they will completely right me off for this, however I did have a medical condition whilst doing my GCSE's that did effect how well I did (and my results were very good in regards to the school I am at). I am wondering whether a) this will be taken into consideration, b) whether it's worth the stress of me applying at all and c) if they really do base offers on every aspect of the application process? Any advice would be very appreciated (sorry for the length of this message).:u:
Reply 1
Pretty sure Oxford don't listen to extenuating circumstances unless maybe your mother died or something.

I do hope you get in though
What exactly were your GCSE results? The main thing for History (or History and English) would be the Oxford-specific aptitude tests.

Your UCAS referee can mention your medical condition in the reference, and your school's A*-C rate is provided to Oxford as part of the application process, and so your results will be seen in the context of your school.

If the course content and structure interests you, you should definitely go on some open days and consider applying :biggrin: All applications are looked at holistically :yes:
Original post by wdkmwd
Pretty sure Oxford don't listen to extenuating circumstances unless maybe your mother died or something.

I do hope you get in though

There's no special extenuating circumstances form (unlike at Cambridge) but extenuating circumstances is mentioned by appropriate people (and proven if necessary) will of course be taken into account when looking at the overall application :yes:
Original post by Mmillar_123
Hi guys, basically I have always wanted to study at Oxford, I am totally in love with every aspect of the university and the place and have tried to persuade myself to forget about Oxford and focus elsewhere but I can't:s-smilie:. I want to study History (possible with English) and am hopeful that I can receive AAA in English lit, History and Religious Studies at A2 (I am currently AS). The problem is my GCSE results, I did not get A/A* across the board and have been worrying that they will completely right me off for this, however I did have a medical condition whilst doing my GCSE's that did effect how well I did (and my results were very good in regards to the school I am at). I am wondering whether a) this will be taken into consideration, b) whether it's worth the stress of me applying at all and c) if they really do base offers on every aspect of the application process? Any advice would be very appreciated (sorry for the length of this message).:u:

I think you should apply if you really do like it
Or it will be one of those regrets when you're older
I heard that if your results are good compared to what the school usually gets that is taken into consideration
Academia is definitely important so try and get the best results you can at A level
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What exactly were your GCSE results? The main thing for History (or History and English) would be the Oxford-specific aptitude tests.

Your UCAS referee can mention your medical condition in the reference, and your school's A*-C rate is provided to Oxford as part of the application process, and so your results will be seen in the context of your school.

If the course content and structure interests you, you should definitely go on some open days and consider applying :biggrin: All applications are looked at holistically :yes:

I got 1 A*, 4 A's 2 B's and 3 C's (the C's were in subjects unrelated to what i am studying now/ what i want to study, they were the sciences and French).
Thankyou for the advice, I am planning on attending an Open day :smile:
I got 1 A*, 4 A's 2 B's and 3 C's (the C's were in subjects unrelated to what i am studying now/ what i want to study, they were the sciences and French).

It's still half A*s and As and it sounds like you weren't that well. I would strongly encourage you to apply once you've done more investigation about whether the place is right for you. Dreaming of Oxford for most of your life and the reality of being at Oxford are two very different things. So it's important to ensure you'll be happy there and that you've visited and done all the relevant research, before committing to the idea! :yep:

Yoooo, you got very similar results to me! I got 1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's, and 3 C's.

If we both get straight A's in our AS, there's no reason why we shouldn't apply to Oxford/Cambridge.

I'd most likely be applying to Cambridge, mainly for the fact that they care about GCSE's less. Also I got a reply from one of the Cambridge Colleges in a thread I made which showed that a significant number of offer-holders had only 0-1 A*'s at GCSE.

Cambridge just seems a safer bet when we have have less A*/A's than most of the applicants.
Reply 8
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Yoooo, you got very similar results to me! I got 1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's, and 3 C's.

If we both get straight A's in our AS, there's no reason why we shouldn't apply to Oxford/Cambridge.

I'd most likely be applying to Cambridge, mainly for the fact that they care about GCSE's less. Also I got a reply from one of the Cambridge Colleges in a thread I made which showed that a significant number of offer-holders had only 0-1 A*'s at GCSE.

Cambridge just seems a safer bet when we have have less A*/A's than most of the applicants.

I hope you get those A's in As!! :smile: I heard that Cambridge was the one that focused more on GCSE's and Oxford was more interested in the admission tests, maybe it's different for different courses? Just out of interest, what are you looking at applying for at Cambridge/Oxford?
I hope you get those A's in As!! :smile: I heard that Cambridge was the one that focused more on GCSE's and Oxford was more interested in the admission tests, maybe it's different for different courses? Just out of interest, what are you looking at applying for at Cambridge/Oxford?

Law :smile: You?
Reply 10
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Law :smile: You?

History and English or just History :redface:
History and English or just History :redface:

Oh yes, you said already, oops :tongue:

Traditionally, the hearsay goes that Oxford focuses more on GCSEs and Cambridge more on UMS scores at AS and A2... but that's an incredibly crude generalisation. Unless you're applying for Medicine at Oxford, relatively "poor" GCSE scores will not in themselves stop you from getting to the interview stage at Oxford, afaik :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending