The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mgill17
I've attached one I've just quickly put together. I *think* it covers them all (but don't quote me on that...there's loads...). The definitions are mostly from textbooks or out of my own head so if anyone wants to suggest any that are missing or if any of the wording is ambiguous/bad/etc let me know.:smile:

Edit: I should add the bits in blue are not parts of the definitions themselves but they're just bits I find helpful but hopefully that's obvious...and also if there's any grammatical errors/spelling errors I'm sorry I did this quickly

Nice list, only thing i would say is that on quite a few of the definitions it's easier just to quote the equations and define them (e.g. momentum)
Reply 41
Original post by samb1234
Nice list, only thing i would say is that on quite a few of the definitions it's easier just to quote the equations and define them (e.g. momentum)

I was going to mention that but didn't. I do tend to just not learn the equation based definitions because that's what the data sheet is for..no point wasting time on answers we're basically being fed by AQA
Original post by mgill17
I was going to mention that but didn't. I do tend to just not learn the equation based definitions because that's what the data sheet is for..no point wasting time on answers we're basically being fed by AQA

Yeah there's not a lot of point learning the long winded ones when you can just quote the formula sheet and be like m=mass in kg...
Reply 43
Reply 44
Which part would you guys do in the exam first?. For me part A takes way to long for me to complete and doesn't carry many marks in respect to part B .
Reply 45
Original post by Zas_21
Which part would you guys do in the exam first?. For me part A takes way to long for me to complete and doesn't carry many marks in respect to part B .

I always start with section B because I push for time towards the end. It's easier to mindlessly colour in an option box than it is to think of coherent physics-ish answers if you've got like 2 minutes left. I find the multiple choice less strenuous in terms of having to actually use my brain as well so it's like rewarding yourself with something a bit easier than the writing in Section B.

Also have you guys found unit 4 to be your hardest/worst unit...I loved AS, and I'm really loving unit 5...but I just can't hack unit 4...it's going to be my downfall.
Reply 46
Original post by mgill17
I always start with section B because I push for time towards the end. It's easier to mindlessly colour in an option box than it is to think of coherent physics-ish answers if you've got like 2 minutes left. I find the multiple choice less strenuous in terms of having to actually use my brain as well so it's like rewarding yourself with something a bit easier than the writing in Section B.

Also have you guys found unit 4 to be your hardest/worst unit...I loved AS, and I'm really loving unit 5...but I just can't hack unit 4...it's going to be my downfall.

My friend suggested to me using this strategy as well, I should start doing it.
Reply 47
Original post by mgill17

I actually much prefer unit 4. I'm taking the Astrophysics module and it's content is interesting but I find a lot of the problem solving stuff in unit 4 more so
Reply 48
Original post by cowie
I actually much prefer unit 4. I'm taking the Astrophysics module and it's content is interesting but I find a lot of the problem solving stuff in unit 4 more so

Really? Do you happen to find the Unit 4 content as interesting as astrophysics or boring? Because I think my main reason for liking unit five is I love all the Nuclear/Radioactivity stuff...unit four just doesn't grab me.
Quick question, does anyone know of where I can get a hold of the AQA textbook turning points resource online?. Teacher won't give us just yet, but I really want to finish the module so I can get to some practise. Thanks in advance :adore:.
Reply 50
you have not started that part of unit 5 yet??! My class have just finished unit 5 and are on revision now/ doing isa prep...

Original post by cosmicapple
Quick question, does anyone know of where I can get a hold of the AQA textbook turning points resource online?. Teacher won't give us just yet, but I really want to finish the module so I can get to some practise. Thanks in advance :adore:.
Original post by cowie

How can you find telescopes interesting lol - too many ray diagrams
Original post by cowie
you have not started that part of unit 5 yet??! My class have just finished unit 5 and are on revision now/ doing isa prep...

WOW! You guys are way ahead of us, we haven't even started Thermal physics, Guess ill have to finish it all on my own then, which is always fun :frown:
Does anyone know if this exam is also suitable for people wanting to retake last years unit 4 exam? I've heard that they've made changes to specification..? Or is there going to be 2 exams 1 for each spec?
Reply 54
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Does anyone know if this exam is also suitable for people wanting to retake last years unit 4 exam? I've heard that they've made changes to specification..? Or is there going to be 2 exams 1 for each spec?

Yes you can still take the old unit 4, and this thread is for that. Current year 13 are still doing the old spec, and AFAIK there will be another exam for the old spec available for resit next year too..
Reply 55
Original post by C0balt
Yes you can still take the old unit 4, and this thread is for that. Current year 13 are still doing the old spec, and AFAIK there will be another exam for the old spec available for resit next year too..

C0balt, what are your offers?/to study what? - did you get into oxbridge?
Reply 56
Original post by cowie
C0balt, what are your offers?/to study what? - did you get into oxbridge?

lol hi this is a bit sudden :tongue:
Yes I hold an offer of A* (FM) A*A in any order in chemistry and physics to read Natural Sciences at Cambridge. Probably insuring Edinburgh for Chemical Physics A*AA
Why do you ask? :lol:
Reply 57
Original post by C0balt
lol hi this is a bit sudden :tongue:
Yes I hold an offer of A* (FM) A*A in any order in chemistry and physics to read Natural Sciences at Cambridge. Probably insuring Edinburgh for Chemical Physics A*AA
Why do you ask? :lol:

Just remember seeing you n the camb thread, was interestead in whether you'd gotten in:wink: Congrats!! Is A*AA a reduced offer??
Reply 58
Original post by cowie
Just remember seeing you n the camb thread, was interestead in whether you'd gotten in:wink: Congrats!! Is A*AA a reduced offer??

Hahaha alright :lol: Thank you :smile:
Well my Cam offer is A*A*A which is the norm, and A*AA for Edinburgh is also the standard offer for second year entry
Reply 59
Original post by C0balt
Hahaha alright :lol: Thank you :smile:
Well my Cam offer is A*A*A which is the norm, and A*AA for Edinburgh is also the standard offer for second year entry

oh right, didn't see the A*AA for camb oops.. You reckon you can do that ey?:wink:
Thankfully I only need AAB for Architecture at UCL which means I don't need to stress all too much :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending