The Student Room Group

The official UFC/MMA society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88
I'm not normally a fan of interim belts but if Conor is going to have multiple fights at a higher weight they either need to have an interim title match at 145 or he needs to give up that belt so as not to hold up the division.

I don't think either will ever happen, let alone the latter because of how much money he makes them.

I think if he is active and is defending the belt as regularly as other champions then it is fine. It only becomes an issue if he does not defend sufficiently often.
Original post by kalclash
My thoughs on the following:

Mir vs Hunt predictions - Hunt by devestating walk away KO in round 2

UFC 200 fight match up predictions? McGregor vs Aldo (though it should be Edgar), Nate Diaz vs Robbie Lawler.

Anderson Silva vs Urijah Hall - WTF? Two counter fighters, that don't like to engage. Going to be a boring and perculiar 15 minutes in the octagon.

Rory MacDonald possible move to Bellator? Will be a shame for the fans, but the UFC are screwing the fighters out of fight money and sponsorship money, so would be good to see the fighters taking a stand and striving for more out of their contracts...

ufc are pieces of **** with paying the people so rory would be a big loss, he deserves so much better than what they pay atm. also when was silva hall announced? wth is that matchup lol
Warning - Contains a spoiler from last night if anyone hasn't watched it yet.

Spoiler

Reply 23
Original post by JamesN88
Warning - Contains a spoiler from last night if anyone hasn't watched it yet.

Spoiler

I was pleased to see Magny win, arguably the fight could have been stopped in the 1st but the ref made a good call. The ref should have definitely stopped it in round 2.

It's good to see the clear abusers of steroids are now starting to fall behind.
Reply 24
Original post by welcometoib
ufc are pieces of **** with paying the people so rory would be a big loss, he deserves so much better than what they pay atm. also when was silva hall announced? wth is that matchup lol

Silva v Hall was announced last week to mixed reactions. Has the potential to be either great or 2 counter fighters avoiding each other for 15 minutes.

It would be a shame for the fans to see Rory go, but I think more fighters need to jump ship to push a real change in fighter pay for the future.
Reply 25
Original post by ByronicHero
I think if he is active and is defending the belt as regularly as other champions then it is fine. It only becomes an issue if he does not defend sufficiently often.

I tend to agree, however if he starts to have multiple exhibition matches in a row outside of his weight class then you have to start considering an interim title. From Edgar's point of view it must be very frustrating - he's ready to go, Connor's ready to go yet they're talking about a rematch vs Diaz.

To be honest I think Dana and Lorenzo are fresh out of ideas for UFC 200. At this stage, with most of their talent already booked up, I really don't see UFC 200 being anything other than a decent PPV, rather than a super event like 100.
Reply 26
Fedor is the best ever. Just saying
I tend to agree, however if he starts to have multiple exhibition matches in a row outside of his weight class then you have to start considering an interim title. From Edgar's point of view it must be very frustrating - he's ready to go, Connor's ready to go yet they're talking about a rematch vs Diaz.

To be honest I think Dana and Lorenzo are fresh out of ideas for UFC 200. At this stage, with most of their talent already booked up, I really don't see UFC 200 being anything other than a decent PPV, rather than a super event like 100.

I think that as long as he is defending every 6 months (ish) then that's fine. If he starts only being able to defend once a year that isn't fine.

Maybe, but I think there is a real chance we see GSP on the card, which won't hurt.

Original post by al_94
Fedor is the best ever. Just saying

Fedoor Emeeklio?
News hot off the press. Ariel Helwani is reporting that UFC 200 will be headlined by a rematch between McGregor vs Diaz! A big mistake in my book if this turns out to be true!!

such a lame fight for 200, conor needs to defend that belt or relinquish it he's just taking the piss now, completely dicking on the division and frank edgar. You know why they're doing it though this guarantees at least 2 big money fights for conor whereas if he went back to 145 straight away and lost, he would be in a really bad spot.
Reply 29
I
Fedoor Emeeklio?

*Fedor Emelianenko
Original post by al_94
*Fedor Emelianenko

I guess you didn't get the joke, which is reasonable as it was quite esoteric.

I was referring to a commonly played section on Sherdog's "Beatdown" radio show where somebody repeatedly says his name incorrectly. I've been following MMA to some degree for almost 10 years - I promise I know who Fedor is :lol:
Reply 31
I was pleased to see Magny win, arguably the fight could have been stopped in the 1st but the ref made a good call. The ref should have definitely stopped it in round 2.

It's good to see the clear abusers of steroids are now starting to fall behind.

People keep saying it could have been stopped in the 1st. I think that would have been really harsh. Magny was doing everything right. Covering up, working, fighting back. Pretty much textbook "intelligently defending" himself.
Reply 32
I guess you didn't get the joke, which is reasonable as it was quite esoteric.

I was referring to a commonly played section on Sherdog's "Beatdown" radio show where somebody repeatedly says his name incorrectly. I've been following MMA to some degree for almost 10 years - I promise I know who Fedor is :lol:

You didn't say if you agree that Fedor is TBE
Original post by al_94

It depends on what you mean by TBE. He is certainly in the discussion.
Original post by al_94

Silva
Fedor
Bones
GSP
Aldo

in that order, nobody ****s with prime Silva guy was a fukin don
Reply 35
Original post by Greg Jackson
Silva
Fedor
Bones
GSP
Aldo

It's a tough call to make.

Silva belongs on top but then I'd go:

Silva
GSP
Bones*
Fedor
Aldo

Fedor was great, no doubt about it, but I feel like Jon Jones would beat a prime Fedor. I've also asterisked Bones because his career is still active and has the potential to easily become the GOAT in my opinion...
Reply 36
Silva
Fedor
Bones
GSP
Aldo

Silva can only do it in UFC look at his Japan record lol. He won one title in one weight class he can't be the best look at Fedor he dominated everyone he fought in openweight fights under Pride rules he took out everyone before Strikeforce. Only reason why they say others are better because he never fought in UFC. Jon Jones is scared of heavyweight fighting midgets like Cormier he is not even in the top 3 either.
Reply 37
such a lame fight for 200, conor needs to defend that belt or relinquish it he's just taking the piss now, completely dicking on the division and frank edgar. You know why they're doing it though this guarantees at least 2 big money fights for conor whereas if he went back to 145 straight away and lost, he would be in a really bad spot.

Yep totally lame. Edgar getting screwed for a pointless money fight. Another example of the UFC sacrificing genuine sporting competition and fairness over big money fights. In my opinion Faber getting a title shot is another example of this.
Reply 38
So I just watched JJ vs Letourneau. Late, I know. Was nice to see JJ fight someone of her caliber and actually have to work. The exchanges were so technical. I hope she keeps her belt against Gadelha.
Reply 39
Any predictions re JJ vs Gadelha?

Quick Reply

Latest