The Student Room Group

Choosing options

Hello,
I am half way through yr 8 and have to choose my GCSE options by the end of the day !!!
I'm completely stuck!!!!
Basically I don't know whether to choose History or Geography.
I have a higher level in Geography at the moment, however I believe that grade is supported by my class work as I struggle a little in Geography exams as my teacher said I get a lower level in my actual assessments than I do in my class work. I defiantly enjoy human geography to physical geography ( which I find really boring)
In History I have a slightly lower grade, however I am very capable in both subjects. I feel as though i enjoy History more and find some parts interesting however it does depend on the era which we are focusing on. I think I will be ok with writing the essays as I really enjoy English however because of my pation for writing I can really waffle on and not get to the point in which the question is asking. This is what I think is pulling my grade down.

I am sooo stuck. I hav never been good at making decisions for myself and it's making me really sressed out so please please give me some advice, thank you X
Sorry it's so long
Original post by Lala_sky_x
Hello,
I am half way through yr 8 and have to choose my GCSE options by the end of the day !!!
I'm completely stuck!!!!
I have a higher level in Geography at the moment, however I believe that grade is supported by my class work as I struggle a little in Geography exams as my teacher said I get a lower level in my actual assessments than I do in my class work. I defiantly enjoy human geography to physical geography ( which I find really boring)
In History I have a slightly lower grade, however I am very capable in both subjects. I feel as though i enjoy History more and find some parts interesting however it does depend on the era which we are focusing on. I think I will be ok with writing the essays as I really enjoy English however because of my pation for writing I can really waffle on and not get to the point in which the question is asking. This is what I think is pulling my grade down.

I am sooo stuck. I hav never been good at making decisions for myself and it's making me really sressed out so please please give me some advice, thank you X
Sorry it's so long

Geography is the worst subject ever! Although, it does appear that girls like the subject more than boys. I despise it. History seems good (I don't do it nor do I think it's good) but I've heard about people getting F grades right from the start of the course.
Hello,
I'm completely stuck!!!!

Sorry it's so long

Also, why are you picking your options in Year 8? You've only left primary school around 18 months ago! I picked mine in the February of 2014, when I was in Year 9.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Also, why are you picking your options in Year 8? You've only left primary school around 18 months ago! I picked mine in the February of 2014, when I was in Year 9.

It's not the op's choice when they pick their options!

I assume you have an options booklet op, it probably summarises the course so you can pick which one you prefer. Or else it probably has at least the exam board in which case we can help you out if you post it here.
What do you want to do when you're older? (it's alright if you don't really know but some general idea can be helpful)
What are your other options?
Hello,
I'm completely stuck!!!!

Sorry it's so long

I'd go with the one you think you'd enjoy more - at the end of the day, that'll be part of what motivates you to study it (you can force yourself to do well in a subject you don't like, but it won't be a fun experience at all). Is there any way you can speak to a teacher about the subjects - to find out what history units you'd do, as well as any other concerns/questions you may have?
In terms of the exams, teachers should go over exam technique as well as content while you're studying the subjects. Whichever subject you pick, this should help boost your grades a fair amount (whether it's picking up marks where you need them in geog or reducing the amount of waffle in hist). Considering you haven't even started the courses yet, you should have plenty of time to improve :smile:
Another thing to consider (I know it's a long way off still, but worth thinking about) is whether you'd be interested in doing either subject at A level. I mention this because colleges might require you to have a subject at GCSE to continue it on to A level (eg. my college wanted people to have B in GCSE hist to do it at A level, but you didn't need GCSE geog to do geography). If you wanted to do both I'm sure you could work something out considering your school won't allow you to do both GCSEs, but I won't go into the ins and outs of that now :redface:

It's a few things to consider (sorry for the essay), but hopefully this helps you out a little. Good luck with everything!
Original post by Jamie Vardy

Some schools like to start earlier- we had to choose our options in year 8 too. Personally I felt that was a little too early but I guess it buys the school some extra prep time :dontknow:
Go with history. It's really interesting. As long as you work at it it's not that hard of a subject.

Quick Reply

Latest