The Student Room Group

York Vs Birmingham Vs St Andrews

Hey everyone,

So I need to take a decision as soon as possible and I am between these three Universities. I am not from London so I don't know which one is better. Could you please help me?

I want it to have a good business program, good employability outcomes, and good nightlife. I am going to do my Master's in International Business.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
All have strong reputations, Birmingham and St Andrews probably slightly more prestigious than York.

St Andrews and Birmingham are prettier universities than York. St Andrews has beautiful medieval architecture and is a small town by the sea and Birmingham had impressive old Redbrick buildings in the leafy suburbs. Birmingham is a Campus and st Andrews a city although from what I've heard St. Andrews is such a small place and student dominated it feels like a campus which is nice :biggrin:

There's not that much between St. Andrews and Birmingham academically, St Andrews is normally slightly higher on the league tables but Birmingham uni has the best graduate employment out of all uni's in the UK so you have better job prospects after a degree there.

Birmingham uni whilst being located in the leafy green suburbs has a train station on campus so you can quickly be in the bustling city center which is amazing and a lovely balance between city and suburb life.

Birmingham has the most going on out of the three Uni's, being the second biggest city in the UK. I cant speak for St. Andrews or York but the social life at Birmingham is incredible with lots of societies, cinemas, museums, pubs, bars, shops and clubs.

I'd say choose Birmingham
Reply 2
Dear Katya,

I never got a notification I just read this. Thank you so much! I really am lost since the league tables. The times, etc they all say York is better than Birmingham and they say that by reputation academically York wins, they also say York has a strong reputation to employability.

I'm so lost :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by riadfk
Dear Katya,

I never got a notification I just read this. Thank you so much! I really am lost since the league tables. The times, etc they all say York is better than Birmingham and they say that by reputation academically York wins, they also say York has a strong reputation to employability.

I'm so lost :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

York is definitely a "better" university than Birmingham if you're looking for prestige and academic reputation, and slightly less than St Andrews in that respect. All are solid universities.
Reply 4
St. Andrews is the best academically, and probably has the most prestige. However I have known people who have attended St. Andrews and it is incredibly small with very little to do.

York is an excellent university, much better than Birmingham in terms of league tables and prestige. I don't know about business specifically but if I had to choose I would go with York. It's not a huge city but there's plenty to do and the city itself is beautiful. The campus is very close and you do not feel isolated whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylank96
York is definitely a "better" university than Birmingham if you're looking for prestige and academic reputation, and slightly less than St Andrews in that respect. All are solid universities.

York is hardly more prestigious than Birmingham. St Andrews is MILES ahead of York and Birmingham, it's just on another different level. York is one of the most overrated universities in UK. It's not even in world top 100 for god sake.
Original post by Terminator01
York is hardly more prestigious than Birmingham. St Andrews is MILES ahead of York and Birmingham, it's just on another different level. York is one of the most overrated universities in UK. It's not even in world top 100 for god sake.

York is definitely considered more prestigious than Birmingham - maybe not to you but, since prestige is defined in terms of what most people think, it doesn't make you right. Have you ever heard someone say 'Oxford is my firm, Birmingham my insurance?', what about 'Oxford is my firm, York is my insurance?' I know which I've heard more often.

'Miles ahead' is a bit much, it's considered a more prestigious university, but not by miles. And all this is completely dependant on subject. Birmingham is more prestigious than York for some subjects, too.

The international rankings, or indeed any, don't have much say in prestigious and reputation. For that, York is definitely up there above Birmingham (not by miles either, but the point still stands).
Reply 7
Original post by Dylank96

'Miles ahead' is a bit much, it's considered a more prestigious university, but not by miles. And all this is completely dependant on subject. Birmingham is more prestigious than York for some subjects, too.

The international rankings, or indeed any, don't have much say in prestigious and reputation. For that, York is definitely up there above Birmingham (not by miles either, but the point still stands).

Considering that international rankings use academic and employer reputation as their metrics...

But let's be honest, St Andrews is far more prestigious and academic than both York and (especially) Birmingham.
Reply 8
What about Hult International business school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending