The Student Room Group

20,000 refugee cap in UK is out the window

Any unaccompanied minors who have relatives in the UK will be allowed to travel here once they set foot on European soil, they are technically allowed to atm.

Cameron is trying to negotiate a deal that would see the UK take only vulnerable children directly from the camps around Syria, this means the initial 20,000 figure is set to grow regardless of whether Cameron's deal is successful.

It does require that the minors prove that they have relatives in the UK before being flown here from Lesbos, but I have little faith in our governments ability to manage the situation. We already see many claiming to be underage for preferential treatment, and when word of this trickles down we are going to see many more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3420101/Why-not-3-000-migrant-children-PM-Cameron-says-caving-just-encourage-thousands-risk-journey-Mediterranean.html

Scroll to see replies

Pfft, they should all be counted as part of the 20k.
Reply 2
Soon UK borders will be like Germany's - swiss cheese.
Reply 3
I've never seen anyone use the Daily Mail as a source for a serious discussion. :banghead:
Reply 4
Original post by rewoo
I've never seen anyone use the Daily Mail as a source for a serious discussion. :banghead:

I'm inclined to ignore a thread whenever the details are based off a Daily Mail article.

Actually...

Loving the gravitas of using the Daily Fail. Do you quote it in your essays as well?

This is old news anyway. Its up to the UK government how many it decides to take or not. Its 20,000 over 5 years, which is very low when compared to most other European countries.
Original post by 999tigger
Loving the gravitas of using the Daily Fail. Do you quote it in your essays as well?

This is old news anyway. Its up to the UK government how many it decides to take or not. Its 20,000 over 5 years, which is very low when compared to most other European countries.

And for that we say thank god, when we look at places like Germany, France, Sweden, and now Belgium...
Original post by elen90
I'm inclined to ignore a thread whenever the details are based off a Daily Mail article.

Actually...

:love:
Cameron is a traitorous piece of ****. It's bad enough most British schools look like a 3rd world country they wont be happy until all White children are gone. If anyone should be committing terrorism it should be White freedom fighters, not Muslims and it should against our governments for what they've forced upon our populations.
Original post by Native€uropean
Cameron is a traitorous piece of ****. It's bad enough most British schools look like a 3rd world country they wont be happy until all White children are gone. If anyone should be committing terrorism it should be White freedom fighters, not Muslims and it should against our governments for what they've forced upon our populations.

Are you one of the white freedom fighters?
Original post by Native€uropean

Ahh, you again.

Do you not get bored making dupe accounts?
A brand new generation of barbershop owners, kebab shop employees, and taxi drivers.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Doesn't strike me as being a large number of extra migrants, and this is the least of our concerns if their family members are well settled/integrated

When these 'children' decide to bring over their family members the numbers will explode, a man just recently brought over 18 of his extended Iraqi family from the Macedonia border.

When they begin having large families, again the numbers quickly become huge, we are bolstering the parallel communities that already exist within Europe. Integration is practically NEVER going to happen for 90% of this 23,000 or their families or the people the claim in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3482305/British-dry-cleaning-boss-flies-squalid-Macedonia-migrant-camp-bring-EIGHTEEN-family-England.html
Original post by thunder_chunky
A brand new generation of barbershop owners, kebab shop employees, and taxi drivers.

Is that supposed to be funny
Original post by Foo.mp3
I don't see one leading to the other. The odd kid can come be reunited with family, but we won't have people taking the piss like that

If we were talking about an increase of say 5%+ of the existing Muslim population then I'd share your concerns. As it stands, it's unlikely to have such an impact, and they're not from areas associated with huge families I don't think

Tend to think Levantines integrate a lot better than Muslims from elsewhere in the world (Somalia/South Asia etc)

It creates a positive feedback loop, the more we have the more relations 'minors' will have with which to lay a claim.

We have a Murphy's Law type scenario playing out with regards to any sort asylum provisions/limitations, anything that can be abused will be abused by mainly African/Arab economic migrants. If we wait for it to become a problem of sufficient magnitude to warrant our attention, which it almost certainly will, the damage will once again already have been done.

We will be taking, hopefully, people from the camps surrounding Syria that can show they have family. Doesn't mean they will be Levantines, how will age be established, how will kinship be established. Neither can be without breaking the EU human rights laws, it's considered an assault on their person.

We both know that it this situation the benefit of the doubt will be given, and anyone and everyone will be using Syrian camps as a port of call for the UK. Not that they need to, at the moment all they have to do is touch European soil and claim to be a minor.

Maybe I'm just being a overly anxious and pessimistic about this, I think should be considered the prudent way to address the situation. On a side note meet Sweden's fastest 14 year old.
30AB3CE200000578-0-image-a-20_1454027860438.jpg
Original post by HanSoloLuck
When these 'children' decide to bring over their family members the numbers will explode, a man just recently brought over 18 of his extended Iraqi family from the Macedonia border.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3482305/British-dry-cleaning-boss-flies-squalid-Macedonia-migrant-camp-bring-EIGHTEEN-family-England.html

You appear to have linked the wrong article. Link us the correct one. Thanks
Original post by MildredMalone
And for that we say thank god, when we look at places like Germany, France, Sweden, and now Belgium...

Germany has the strongest and fastest-growing economy in the EU. What are you even saying?

Immigrants are typically more likely to be university educated than British natives.

well then you should be pleased, small business are the backbone of the economy and all that. More in the workplace, means more revenue means more money going back into the country.
Original post by silverbolt
well then you should be pleased, small business are the backbone of the economy and all that. More in the workplace, means more revenue means more money going back into the country.

Who says I'm not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending