The Student Room Group

Does coconut oil make your hair longer?

I have recently tried coconut oil on my hair to see if it makes my hakr longer. Will this actually work? Is there something better or faster? I am doing the coconut oil wrong? Help me please!! Xx
Reply 1
People rub oil into the scalp to stimulate growth. It's the action of massaging your scalp that helps your hair to grow. Coconut oil is preferred, because it's one of the only oils that's scientifically proven to be able to penetrate the actual hair shaft (because of it's low molecular weight). So using coconut oil on your hair should make your hair stronger and less brittle over time, and using it on your scalp, if you massage it well, should help to stimulate more growth.
the tutorials i watcg on YouTube says it does
Reply 3
Original post by howtobealady
the tutorials i watch on YouTube says it does

yeah ^

but i've heard a lot more good things about castor oil so look into that?
Original post by z33
yeah ^

but i've heard a lot more good things about castor oil so look into that?

They're both good tbh. Castor oil helped my hair grow out more thicker. whatever oil you pick make sure it's unrefined to get the best results
Reply 5
Original post by Artsybitch
I have recently tried coconut oil on my hair to see if it makes my hakr longer. Will this actually work? Is there something better or faster? I am doing the coconut oil wrong? Help me please!! Xx

No coconut oil is the best product in the world.
I am not sure really but I do know that the coconut oil will improve the quality of your hair and so it will become healthier. This in turn will help with hair growth :smile:
It doesn't affect growth rate, but if applied on dry hair and left for an hour before washing, unlike most other oils it is able to penetrate the hair shaft and thus prevent protein loss during washing. This is because it prevents to an extent the hair shaft from expanding which causes some damage every time the hair is washed. It obviously also lubricates the hair causing less mechanical stress when styling afterwards. It's also anti inflammatory so if you have inflammation related hair loss it may help.

I have a theory that keeping skin hydrated encourages hair growth as it keeps the intercellular matrix between our skin cells hydrated, who's function is the production and warehousing of certain cell communicating chemicals. I think a more hydrated matrix could mean better cellular communication. I think this could be why so many report castor oil as assisting brow growth.
My great uncle has just turned 90 years old. When he was younger he religiously used coconut oil in his hair, he has a full head of hair now! it's incredible stuff regardless of growing abilities, good quality hair is always awesome!!
Reply 9
OMG well done for buying the Coconut Oil! it's simply amazing, I use it on the end of my hair, like a serum. You only need a tiny amount though, smells lovely and makes your ends silky! Did you know you can also use is as a face and all over body moisturiser. One of my fav things to do with it is a scoop in your mouth, acting as mouthwash. Don't swallow it, it pull all of the chemicals and bad toxins from food out of your teeth :smile: they also feel nice and clean afterwards.

Enjoy your Coconut Oil, make sure you have an organic one. :smile:
No you got trolled mate
hair goals lool. i go on a you tube channel called Lana summer (we have similer hair but mine is shorter) and yeah she gives great advise etc shes the girl above
Yes! You can also mix coconut oil with almond and castor oil, then leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning.
Rub it into your scalp to avoid or remove dandruffs. Place it in your hair strands to make it smooth and shiny.

Quick Reply

Latest