The Student Room Group

How to know if you have mental illness?

I was all fine. Then I spent two years with my family. Their behavior with me was terrible and I cannot till today get everything they said out of my mind even though it has been a year since I have moved out again. Does this mean I have mental Illness?
Reply 1
first of all, i'm so so sorry for how your family treated you- nobody deserves that, and i'm glad that you've moved out and are out of that situation.

mental illness is quite a broad term, and it can cover all kinds of things- as well, it's important to consider that mental illness and having poor mental health aren't necessarily the same thing. from what you've said, it could be either, but more likely poor mental health- however, i would recommend talking to your doctor or a therapist about your thoughts and how you've been feeling, as well as maybe contacting some support groups for people with family issues, trauma, etc. so you can get a better understanding of what you're going through and what might help you. as a start, it might be worth looking at symptoms of trauma and seeing what resonates with you, what sounds familiar, etc. as that sounds like what it might be (however i am not a professional, so take this with a pinch of salt).

it's hard to say just from one post what you might be going through, but i hope that you know you're not alone, and you don't have to just suffer through it. there is help out there and there are ways for you to understand and learn to recover from these thoughts and what your family said to you. i wish you the best, and i hope things get easier for you soon <3
Reply 2
Original post by spammbo
first of all, i'm so so sorry for how your family treated you- nobody deserves that, and i'm glad that you've moved out and are out of that situation.

mental illness is quite a broad term, and it can cover all kinds of things- as well, it's important to consider that mental illness and having poor mental health aren't necessarily the same thing. from what you've said, it could be either, but more likely poor mental health- however, i would recommend talking to your doctor or a therapist about your thoughts and how you've been feeling, as well as maybe contacting some support groups for people with family issues, trauma, etc. so you can get a better understanding of what you're going through and what might help you. as a start, it might be worth looking at symptoms of trauma and seeing what resonates with you, what sounds familiar, etc. as that sounds like what it might be (however i am not a professional, so take this with a pinch of salt).

it's hard to say just from one post what you might be going through, but i hope that you know you're not alone, and you don't have to just suffer through it. there is help out there and there are ways for you to understand and learn to recover from these thoughts and what your family said to you. i wish you the best, and i hope things get easier for you soon <3

I went to gp and they said it’s depression but I’m not sure if I’ll be ever able to get rid off these thoughts. Like I had long healthy hair and then suddenly my hair started falling off to the point that it was all over my room and everywhere. Of course everyone get worried when they’re losing something so as I was worried I started to expressing it like being worried in front of my mom. And what she thought that I must be getting jealous of my sister hair (as she have long hair too) and once I just simply said to my mom that what should I do I’m having lots of hair fall and she angrily replied that do you think I have a magic stick that will make your hair better so I came back to my room and just 5 mins later I heard her saying to my sister that let me oil your hair.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I went to gp and they said it’s depression but I’m not sure if I’ll be ever able to get rid off these thoughts. Like I had long healthy hair and then suddenly my hair started falling off to the point that it was all over my room and everywhere. Of course everyone get worried when they’re losing something so as I was worried I started to expressing it like being worried in front of my mom. And what she thought that I must be getting jealous of my sister hair (as she have long hair too) and once I just simply said to my mom that what should I do I’m having lots of hair fall and she angrily replied that do you think I have a magic stick that will make your hair better so I came back to my room and just 5 mins later I heard her saying to my sister that let me oil your hair.

And there are many other such things and I just can’t stop thinking about it all so I don’t know if it’s a mental illness and what can I do abt it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending