The Student Room Group

How people in the West react to reports of terrorism/ other tragedies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gucci Mane.
lol this is so true.

I'm sorry but if something happens in a safe, ally and in very close proximity with an increased likelihood of our own people being involved we will care more, fact of life, get over it!

Also I find people very hypocritical when they come out and say on the day of the Brussels/Paris attack, what about these others ones. You are deliberately undermining the importance of the attack that just happens, you are no better than those who ignore the other attacks.
Reply 21
For me, personally, the whole map would be green, so meh. I feel no connection to people I've never met. Feel free to be outraged.
It's only a tragedy when white people in first world countries die. When that Russian plane crashed or several suicide bombings went off in Turkey, nobody batted an eyelid.
If you don't understand why people in the UK are more affected by the Brussels attack than say, the one in Iraq, then you are utterly stupid. Belgium/France mirror our society and culture so much more than Iraq and they are geographically closer to us, thus making an attack here seem more likely. Also, BRUSSELS IS THE POLITICAL CENTRE OF EUROPE...AND WE ARE IN THE EU. It's really not that hard to understand. It doesn't make us callous because I'm sure we all feel sadness at the loss of any innocent lives, but humans are also selfish and as such are going to feel more for those attacks that hint at a potential threat to our own lives.
Original post by Joinedup
Which is why the US presidents wife has probably never even heard about a muslim atrocity in Africa... wait what.

---

So to make sure I've got this right - you're saying that islamically speaking random killing of innocent people is better than carefully targetted killing of guilty murderers?

or is it that muslims killing muslims is always better than westerners killing muslims regardless of anything else?

You didn't get it right.
lol this is so true.

Why is Alaska graded as having a different reaction to the rest of the USA, and Canada? Seems a bit arbitary.
lol this is so true.

Would the murder of your family be more or less upsetting to you, than the murder of Mr Bloggs family, who lives in Afghanistan? Because if you say the former, you are clearly a racist who doesn't care about other people.

See the inherent stupidity of that proposition?
I wonder how many people on Twitter will be whinging about "the lack of coverage" for this little Lahor thing, while it trends under two or three different headings.
Original post by Foo.mp3
No different to any other civilisation :dontknow:

Plus, who are the major contributors to the global third sector/disaster appeals? :holmes:

It's easy to criticise, and to get lost in chip-on-shoulder anti-Western rhetrotic :rolleyes:

What is this chip on the shoulder you talk about? :dontknow:
Original post by Foo.mp3
The tens of millions of people out there who whine/rant about injustice yet do little/nothing to address the problems with their own societies and have either not suffered directly, or else not suffered at all, as a result of Western actions, never mind the actions of all Westerners! :rolleyes:

What societies would these be?
Original post by Silver Arrow
It's only a tragedy when white people in first world countries die. When that Russian plane crashed or several suicide bombings went off in Turkey, nobody batted an eyelid.

Well done for not only ignorantly calling Russia a 3rd world country, but also thinking that the Western cultural sphere is everyone in the world.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Well done for not only ignorantly calling Russia a 3rd world country, but also thinking that the Western cultural sphere is everyone in the world.

Russia is 2nd world economically, 3rd would culturally.
Original post by MildredMalone
Why is Alaska graded as having a different reaction to the rest of the USA, and Canada? Seems a bit arbitary.

Because whilst being connected to the US & Canada culturally, nobody actually lives in Alaska.
Original post by Venetian Snares
Russia is 2nd world economically, 3rd would culturally.

No it isnt. The 2nd world doesnt really exist anymore, since the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's considered highly developed certainly isn't a developing country, and culturally not dissimilar to Eastern Europe.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
No it isnt. The 2nd world doesnt really exist anymore, since the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's considered highly developed certainly isn't a developing country, and culturally not dissimilar to Eastern Europe.

yes it is.

Russia is definitely not a 1st world country (GDP per capita is too low), and its definitely not a 3rd world country (GDP per capita is too high). Thus, its 2nd world.
Why are New Zealand and South Korea yellow? Seems a bit odd if Australia and Japan are red.
Original post by Venetian Snares
yes it is.

Russia is definitely not a 1st world country (GDP per capita is too low), and its definitely not a 3rd world country (GDP per capita is too high). Thus, its 2nd world.

What's the threshold for being a 1st world country?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending