The Student Room Group

How important are extra maths camps/courses for maths at Cambridge/Oxford?

In particular long 5/6 week ones like PROMYS

People who have already received offers for maths/ maths with physics at Cambridge/Oxford or study there currently: what extra curricular maths things did you partake in and how important do you think they were in receiving an offer?

Cheers!
Original post by Lrrgolas
In particular long 5/6 week ones like PROMYS

People who have already received offers for maths/ maths with physics at Cambridge/Oxford or study there currently: what extra curricular maths things did you partake in and how important do you think they were in receiving an offer?

Cheers!

Hi! Are you applying for PROMYS too?? Are you finding the problem sheet hard? I'm close to giving up. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ara8311a
Hi! Are you applying for PROMYS too?? Are you finding the problem sheet hard? I'm close to giving up. :smile:

haha yeah! I submitted my solution sheet like two days before the deadline :s. It's actually insanely hard, I got through about 3 that I'm confident with my progress in, how about you?
haha yeah! I submitted my solution sheet like two days before the deadline :s. It's actually insanely hard, I got through about 3 that I'm confident with my progress in, how about you?

I know... I didn't even understand the questions, let alone know how to find the answers. I did about three which I got a full answer for and then I 'tried' to do some of the others... I submitted mine the day before the deadline after two days of tearing my hair out over number 8. I kind of gave up... Did you apply for the Europe one?

To be honest I won't mind if I don't get onto it. It's dawned on me that if the maths is like that on the course, it might be a bit stressful... but fun at the same time.. :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by Ara8311a
I know... I didn't even understand the questions, let alone know how to find the answers. I did about three which I got a full answer for and then I 'tried' to do some of the others... I submitted mine the day before the deadline after two days of tearing my hair out over number 8. I kind of gave up... Did you apply for the Europe one?

To be honest I won't mind if I don't get onto it. It's dawned on me that if the maths is like that on the course, it might be a bit stressful... but fun at the same time.. :colondollar:

yeah I applied to the europe one :smile: thank god I'm not the only one who found them that difficult, I genuinely thought I was up against people who could do all 10. surprisingly number 8 (the infinite chessboard one right?) was the one I did the most on, along with the obtuse angle question.

I dont really mind not getting in either, I mean obviously I did put in effort and it would be a shame, but it's 6 weeks long as well, not exactly what people dream of spending their time doing a few weeks after the end of gcses
yeah I applied to the europe one :smile: thank god I'm not the only one who found them that difficult, I genuinely thought I was up against people who could do all 10. surprisingly number 8 (the infinite chessboard one right?) was the one I did the most on, along with the obtuse angle question.

I dont really mind not getting in either, I mean obviously I did put in effort and it would be a shame, but it's 6 weeks long as well, not exactly what people dream of spending their time doing a few weeks after the end of gcses

I did most on the prime number one. I didn't finish 8 because I just gave up and I didn't complete the prime number one either... I kind of got the obtuse angle one but that's the same with half of them. I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. :smile:

I thought I was too and to be honest there probably are people who could do all ten. The effort won't have gone to waste if we don't get in though. I now have a renewed appreciation of how hard maths is. :biggrin: If I do get in it will be great but if not, I don't have to spend six weeks doing maths and stretching my brain in ways it's never been stretched before..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending