The Student Room Group

Undergraduate US University Application

Hello there,
I know there has been similar forums to this in the past, however the one's I've looked through haven't addressed my particular questions so I've just decided (as you can see) to make another.

I'm currently a year twelve student, and extremely interested in applying to go to university in the US. However, I'm still quite confused about the actual application process - and the funding that may be available for international students.

If anyone is able to, could they please outline the steps I would have to take in the application process and give any information that they have about any funding opportunities.
Also as a note, due to unfortunate circumstances (illness) I was unable to complete the full amount of GCSE's I would have normally done. However, I do have seven and they are all A's or A*'s.

Sorry to be inconvenient, however my school doesn't seem to know that much either and it has been something that I have wanted to do for quite a few years now.
Thank you. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like I need the same answers .
Original post by iChimedin
Hello there,
I know there has been similar forums to this in the past, however the one's I've looked through haven't addressed my particular questions so I've just decided (as you can see) to make another.

I'm currently a year twelve student, and extremely interested in applying to go to university in the US. However, I'm still quite confused about the actual application process - and the funding that may be available for international students.

If anyone is able to, could they please outline the steps I would have to take in the application process and give any information that they have about any funding opportunities.
Also as a note, due to unfortunate circumstances (illness) I was unable to complete the full amount of GCSE's I would have normally done. However, I do have seven and they are all A's or A*'s.

Sorry to be inconvenient, however my school doesn't seem to know that much either and it has been something that I have wanted to do for quite a few years now.
Thank you. :smile:

If you are applying to a public university, you will not qualify for any sort of financial aid. Private universities is a different story (i.e. MIT), and if you are below the income threshold they can potentially offer you a near, full-ride scholarship. Hard to say without knowing which universities you are applying to. What exactly are the specific questions you have?
I am a year 12 interested as well. There is funding available at many schools in the US not just private ones. Keep an eye out for scholarships available to all freshman, though they don't directly say they are available to international students, they mostly are. For example, look at University of Oklahoma or Mississippi! Have you taken the ACT or the SATs as these are required for nearly all the universities! Have you spoken to your parents about the process? My parents aren't very supportive, but are willing to help. Applying costs quite a lot of money depending on how many schools you apply to and whatnot, because universities charge you between about $40 and $90 for applying! Also the ACT costs a lot for UK students as well! It's a complicated process, and I'm not even going to pretend I know it all, but I have done research and have to spoken to people in America so if you have any questions ask away!
Also, I'd love to know where you are thinking of applying to!
Augusta
Reply 4
I was think the University of Arizona, but now that you mention private schools are more likely to offer financial aid I am drifting toward ASU/NYU.
Original post by GeorgeFam
I was think the University of Arizona, but now that you mention private schools are more likely to offer financial aid I am drifting toward ASU/NYU.

Both are good schools! If you definitely want to go to the US you will probably need to get a safety option! Have you taken the SATs or ACTs? Because that will help determine your 'reach' and 'safety' schools!
Reply 6
No i'm in year 11 at the current moment, I was planning on taking them next year. I'm getting A*'s in english and B's in maths do you know what I could expect from it?
No i'm in year 11 at the current moment, I was planning on taking them next year. I'm getting A*'s in english and B's in maths do you know what I could expect from it?

Sorry I don't! I haven't taken it yet, I am taking the ACT in June, and I got A*s in English and an A in math so I might be able to help you after! But, the maths is supposedly harder on the ACT, so if it isn't your strength maybe the SATs would be better!

If by ASU you mean Arizona State, it's a public university.

One of the things you have to factor in when considering private schools in the US is that some places are diploma mills (only care about the money).

Why are you attracted to ASU or University of Arizona?
Heya I'm in the same position and I have no idea what I'm doing. Universities I am interested in are Columbia, NYU, Princeton and Stanford.

I know what's important right now is doing the SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Tests. But they are so damn expensive.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Heya I'm in the same position and I have no idea what I'm doing. Universities I am interested in are Columbia, NYU, Princeton and Stanford.

I know what's important right now is doing the SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Tests. But they are so damn expensive.

Another problem with the SATs is that you will have to have two testing dates in order to do the SAT reasoning and the subject tests, and the schools you are looking at will probably require 2 subject tests! The ACTs with writing can All be done on one day! Also, if you seriously want to go to America you may want to pick some safer schools! Those four are really selective, so maybe have a slightly less selective one as well?? I'm assuming you are very clever to be considering those schools!

Yes they quite are pricey! Definitely prepare well for either the SAT or ACT (I preferred the ACT and starting to prepare during the summer break is perfect in my opinion!), and even if the schools do not require SAT Subject Tests...I would STRONGLY recommend you take at least two (NYU won't mind as much but the other three most certainly do care)
I'm in your position! Kind of - I'm in year 12, applying this fall, but I first became interested in US study a year ago so I've been pretty much researching it since then!
I haven't sat my SATs yet but you'll need to do them soon - I believe it's too late for you to register for the May date, but you could potentially register for the June date. However, less schools offer the June date as it's in the middle of exam period. After the summer you'll have the October and November dates to choose from. Honestly, if you're doing SAT IIs in the subjects that pure studying for AS I would do the SAT IIs instead of the reasoning test in June, purely because a lot of the information is relevant in both AS and the SATs- I'm speaking from personal experience with Biology and French. Then, you could sit the Reasoning Test in October.

The application process for a lot of private universities eg. Columbia is very extensive, are you aware of the use of the Common App? The more colleges you apply to, the more essays you're going to have to write. I'm applying to 9 and also 1 in Canada, so I'll probably start during the summer, as well as doing my personal statement.

Have you looked at liberal arts colleges yet? There are some that have higher acceptance rates and actually offer international financial aid such as Skidmore College, which offers a few internationals a need-based financial aid award each year.
Original post by augusta_t
Another problem with the SATs is that you will have to have two testing dates in order to do the SAT reasoning and the subject tests, and the schools you are looking at will probably require 2 subject tests! The ACTs with writing can All be done on one day! Also, if you seriously want to go to America you may want to pick some safer schools! Those four are really selective, so maybe have a slightly less selective one as well?? I'm assuming you are very clever to be considering those schools!

I don't see the need to apply to less selective universities as I will still be applying to UK universities in the UK. If I don't get into any of the US universities which I apply to (which I am aware is not at all unlikely) then I will stay in the UK.

Being honest I have looked into ACT and don't know anything about it. I just went with SAT as it seems to be the more well-known one and it's the one I've heard of.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by frognation22
Yes they quite are pricey! Definitely prepare well for either the SAT or ACT (I preferred the ACT and starting to prepare during the summer break is perfect in my opinion!), and even if the schools do not require SAT Subject Tests...I would STRONGLY recommend you take at least two (NYU won't mind as much but the other three most certainly do care)

Yeah I'm going to do SAT subject tests but all the universities say that they are not absolutely necessary, and I believe AS exams could take their place, but I'm going to take them anyway. I don't really know anything about the ACT.
Yeah I'm going to do SAT subject tests but all the universities say that they are not absolutely necessary, and I believe AS exams could take their place, but I'm going to take them anyway. I don't really know anything about the ACT.

The SAT IIs are often similar to AS in regards to content, so it'd be best to take them soon (ie. June date) so you don't have to revisit AS level whilst preparing for A2s.
Original post by Sparadrap2106
The SAT IIs are often similar to AS in regards to content, so it'd be best to take them soon (ie. June date) so you don't have to revisit AS level whilst preparing for A2s.

I'm taking the Maths Level 2 in May as my preparation will be my revision for AS Maths/Further Maths. I'm going to take Chemistry in autumn (along with the SAT I) because a lot of the topics fall outside of the A Level 1st year content so I don't feel confident doing it without extra preparation, so I will take the summer to look at the new topics.
Original post by Sparadrap2106

The application process for a lot of private universities eg. Columbia is very extensive, are you aware of the use of the Common App? The more colleges you apply to, the more essays you're going to have to write. I'm applying to 9 and also 1 in Canada, so I'll probably start during the summer, as well as doing my personal statement.

FYI for Common App - although a number of universities use it, their essay questions might not be the same. It also will be better if you prepare a personal statement per university.

IIRC, Stanford and U Cal do not use the Common App - they have their own systems set up.

As for SATs, I recommend registering for three exams. It's expensive, but schools only look at the highest score. A lot of times, students will not do as well on their first SAT as their second or third (exam strats, understanding the type of questions asked, etc).
Original post by augusta_t
Sorry I don't! I haven't taken it yet, I am taking the ACT in June, and I got A*s in English and an A in math so I might be able to help you after! But, the maths is supposedly harder on the ACT, so if it isn't your strength maybe the SATs would be better!

Yeah, good luck cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending