The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Student Accommodation 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edenrose09
is anyone else having trouble trying to apply for accommodation? when i go on the page it says "sorry no information available" or something ??????

Make sure you firm Edinburgh, and then wait a few days. That's what happened for me.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 81
What's better for postgrad, self-catered uni accomodation, or going to private housing?
Reply 82
Received help! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Milalilsaustin
I would like to know this too! Particularly Sugarhouse Close - bit in love with the aesthetics of it, but don't know what it's generally like - social or not?

Just replied to your other post haha!!
I'm just as confused as you ... Just come we'll be friends, I've planned to book a room there:tongue:
Original post by Lgm499
anyone doing history? :smile:

I am!
I'm definitely going to go for catered - which ones are you thinking of going for?
Hey guys! I'm really torn about accommodation, I'm definitely the sort of person who suits self-catered accommodation simply because I like cooking and hate the thought of having set meal times and food that I'll get bored of, but is anyone else worried theyre not gonna make enough friends in self-catered, central housing? At the moment I'm thinking of applying to portsburgh, sugarhouse close, deaconness, blackfriars and south clerk street but I keep hesitating to send in the application for them because I'm worried I'll miss out on the fun and social side of Pollock. Any help from prospective or current students? Thanks x
Original post by jessr174
Hey guys! I'm really torn about accommodation, I'm definitely the sort of person who suits self-catered accommodation simply because I like cooking and hate the thought of having set meal times and food that I'll get bored of, but is anyone else worried theyre not gonna make enough friends in self-catered, central housing? At the moment I'm thinking of applying to portsburgh, sugarhouse close, deaconness, blackfriars and south clerk street but I keep hesitating to send in the application for them because I'm worried I'll miss out on the fun and social side of Pollock. Any help from prospective or current students? Thanks x

The majority of housing is self catered, so I doubt over half of student have a bad social life at uni:P I think it'll be whatever you make of it. We can party in self catered together😂
Original post by erinaceous
The majority of housing is self catered, so I doubt over half of student have a bad social life at uni:P I think it'll be whatever you make of it. We can party in self catered together😂

Yeah that's a good point! Fingers crossed I get along with people in my flat
Anyone else just a bit clueless as to where to apply for accommodation I'm thinking definitely Deaconess as an option, anyone else heard anything about the most sociable self-catered housing, the only people I know in edinburgh are catered. Also I'd be mainly at kings campus so I've written off the idea I can just roll out of bed and have a five minute walk to lectures but oh well.
Hi! Anyone doing Religious Studies or anything in the School of Divinity?
I'm looking at accommodation now and I think I have decided which to apply for (all self catered) but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about living in the Cowgate? I've read some threads from previous years where a few people hated it! But the Cowgate, like College Wynd, Kincaid's Court etc all seem good locations for me getting to New College, unless anyone can recommend anything beter?
Original post by kirstyjmunro
I'm looking at accommodation now and I think I have decided which to apply for (all self catered) but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about living in the Cowgate? I've read some threads from previous years where a few people hated it! But the Cowgate, like College Wynd, Kincaid's Court etc all seem good locations for me getting to New College, unless anyone can recommend anything beter?

I'm doing religious studies and English lit!! Found near enough no one who has also applied for religious studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there everyone!

Firstly congratulations to everyone for their offers!

I saw a few of you were wondering about self-catered accommodation and I thought I'd maybe check if you knew about us? We have a few sites in Edinburgh in enviable locations all with all-inclusive bills and free wifi with great amenities on site such as common rooms, on-site cinemas, gyms and much more! If you wanted to have a look the link to our Edinburgh part of the website is http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/edinburgh

And if you had any questions about us, the sites or about accommodation in general I'd be really happy to speak to you!

Good luck for the future everybody you've certainly earned it :tongue:

Amelia xx :bunny:
Reply 93
Original post by kirstyjmunro

I stayed in Pollock when I was in first year, but I think the thing about living on the Cowgate is that's where most of the clubs are, so you'll be disturbed more by drunk people in the street and also people in your accommodation are probably more likely to be party animals who want to live closer to the clubs. I think it just depends on what you want really!

If you're put off the Cowgate locations, Nicholson Street, Darroch Court and New Arthur Place probably aren't that much further away from New College, or maybe Portsburgh Court? I don't know anything about those places though.... Also, have you checked if your first year courses are actually held at New College? A lot of schools tend to have their first year lectures in the George Square campus, because the lecture theaters are bigger, so you might not actually need to be close to New College in first year!
I am a law visiting student to Edinburgh from an Asia country.
I heard about people complaining the catering service in Pollock hall...identical meal, crowded and low quality... any experience about Pollock you could tell? I was really struggle to choose between catered and self-catered hall. And if I want to go for self-catered, private housing or university accommodation?

Thanks for your reply~
I submitted my choice last week, but I did:
1. Deaconess (standard single ensuite)
2. Sugarhouse Close (standard single ensuite)
3. Darroch Court (large single)
4. Blackfriars Street (standard single ensuite)
5. Robertsons Close (standard single)

I'm hoping I get one of my top two choices, because I really want an ensuite!
Original post by ixicrom
I stayed in Pollock when I was in first year, but I think the thing about living on the Cowgate is that's where most of the clubs are, so you'll be disturbed more by drunk people in the street and also people in your accommodation are probably more likely to be party animals who want to live closer to the clubs. I think it just depends on what you want really!

If you're put off the Cowgate locations, Nicholson Street, Darroch Court and New Arthur Place probably aren't that much further away from New College, or maybe Portsburgh Court? I don't know anything about those places though.... Also, have you checked if your first year courses are actually held at New College? A lot of schools tend to have their first year lectures in the George Square campus, because the lecture theaters are bigger, so you might not actually need to be close to New College in first year!

Thanks so much for your reply! I think I will definitely be applying for Nicolson Street and New Arthur Place too. I'm pretty sure that the courses are held at New College but I'll go and check that out, thank you!
Original post by Kymberleyyy
I'm doing religious studies and English lit!! Found near enough no one who has also applied for religious studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same! To be fair, there were only about 10 prospective students at the post-applicant day, but I'm pretty excited!
Original post by ohitstia
I'm definitely going to go for catered - which ones are you thinking of going for?

I applied for chancellors court and Holland house as my top two, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was offered a place for a single in Deaconess, my first choice!!! Yeah!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending