The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol stereotypes

A lot of people have heard a lot of bad things about bristol university, in terms of class divide. While, it is true that quite a lot of undergraduates are from privileged backgrounds and public schools; it is utterly untrue that they are snobby and hard to get a long with.

The university, like most other universities in the U.K. has a lot of international students, and quite a diverse community. It consists of over 500 societies, and everyone, generally speaking, is quite friendly and easy to get along with.

For people thinking of applying to the university, I reassure you that you have nothing to worry about in terms of making friends regardless of your background. It is a brilliant place to be in, and academically sound too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm2rJrSqtjQ
Everything I need to know about Bristol I learnt on 'Skins'.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Everything I need to know about Bristol I learnt on 'Skins'.

The local community in Bristol tends to be quite liberal and left-wing, the university, not so much. But we can't categorise people into such types and decide not to mix.

Skins s pretty good though :smile:
Reply 3
Hello,
The satisfaction rates at University of Bristol have been really low lately, is this something a prospective student should worry about?
Original post by idka
Hello,
The satisfaction rates at University of Bristol have been really low lately, is this something a prospective student should worry about?

From what I've seen, I wouldn't say there is anything to be worried about. Having been to other universities, I can say that for sure.

The reason for the satisfaction rate could be related to the fact that a lot of students here are from privileged schools and therefore expect something grand. I would rate Bristol top ten in the U.K. personally
Reply 5
Original post by hexagonalRod
From what I've seen, I wouldn't say there is anything to be worried about. Having been to other universities, I can say that for sure.

The reason for the satisfaction rate could be related to the fact that a lot of students here are from privileged schools and therefore expect something grand. I would rate Bristol top ten in the U.K. personally

Yeah, I get that. Thank you :smile:
Too many internationals if anything.
Reply 7
There really is little active class divide at the University. I have personally found that those with privileged educations do their best to integrate with everyone, although there will always be exceptions.

I think Hexagon has hit the nail on the head. Depending on your faculty, studying at Bristol tends to naturally be quite independent although there is student support for those who actively pursue it. Student satisfaction is lower at Bristol than at other universities partly because students coming from top schools are used to being handed all the information necessary to reach the best grades, speaking from my own experience. Due to the natural ethos of Bristol as a university, solo study is encouraged much more at least in my subject, and as a result some students might be frustrated by having to actually do a bit of looking themselves.

Contrast this with universities like Oxford and Cambridge, where students have very small, regular seminars with tutors of their subjects. Whilst Bristol does obviously have similar seminars too, they're not as regular. Independent learning is encouraged more. Also, Bristol doesn't have as much historical prestige as the older universities, nor the focus of places like Imperial and LSE on particular academic disciplines. It got a great reputation for being a top university in many academic disciplines, attracting people from a variety of backgrounds, including those from prestigious schools; perhaps these people discovered that Bristol's reputation has little to do with fairytales and everything to do with grit :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending