The Student Room Group

We're staying in the EU

2 months early, and I'm calling it.

Not because its the right decision, although I do support staying in the EU, but the simple fact that Cameron, Clegg, Miliband, Sturgeon and Corbyn are all in and the only people supporting out are buffoons like Farage, Johnson and IDS who resigned means that those loyal to labour and tories will generally vote in. There will be some defectors either side who are angry at either party for whatever reason.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Frank Underwood

Not because its the right decision, although I do support staying in the EU, but the simple fact that Cameron, Clegg, Miliband, Sturgeon and Corbyn are all in and the only people supporting out are buffoons like Farage, Johnson and IDS who resigned means that those loyal to labour and tories will generally vote in. There will be some defectors either side who are angry at either party for whatever reason.

I am afraid we are
so you're saying the force of the status quo is going to decide this one? as if our country is that dumb? well fair enough - every referendum vote has always supported the status quo

more like yourself
Original post by helpmekid

more like yourself

Attack me all you like buddy, but it won't change the fact that we are almost certainly staying.
I don't think that it's a dead cert but the leave campaign are all over the place. The leave vote is split and can't agree with each other. Also the most prominent figure for leaving the EU (Farage) isn't even in the official Vote Leave campaign which is getting the government funding.
I think the chance of staying in has increased in the last 3 weeks.
goodbye then, if imaginary sovereignty and cultural preservation is more important than retaining British jobs then go

If I was totally anti-EU (which I'm not as I want to stay in) the fact of IDS being in the out campaign would be enough to change my mind with what misery he unleashed on the disabled, the poor and unfortunate in society when he was in charge of the department of workfare and persecutions.
Reply 9
Sovereignty, Freedom Democracy. It should really be that simple.

After the 2015 General Election, I am not taking into consideration any Calls, Predictions or Polls
Also dont count your chickens before they hatch.
Course we are. Population too stupid and scared to disagree with status quo, they'll have a moan in theguardian. Once anything important happens they'll support the establishment.

It's called being a middle class hypocrite.

Yeah, but VoteIn has Sturgeon and Corbyn, so there ya go...
Boris isn't a buffoon. He just pretends to be one. I think he's a very shrewd guy in reality.

Ok it's not just about having current and recent political leaders on the remain side it's the fact that the government is lobbying anyone they have influence over or friends with to say hey I'm for a remain vote. The fact that they spent more on one leaflet than vote leave is legally allowed to spend on the whole campaign.

It's also a fact that the politics of fear work better than the politics of promise and lest we forget almost all referendums are a vote for the status quo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I'm absolutely certain we will vote in and in my eyes that is not the purpose of the referendum. It's the aftermath I am interested in. The idea UKIP will die has no validity considering the SNP never died. Euroscepticism won't suddenly disappear. Decades and years of hatred will not cease to exist. We will accept the verdict but that doesn't mean politics hasnt changed. I for one feel betrayed by the establishment, by Cameron, Corbyn, Clegg, Sturgeon, all of them. I can speak for every other Eurosceptic I know as well. Do you really think I would ever in my life vote for either of these mainstream parties ever again after feeling betrayed. Had Corbyn stayed firm against the EU I would have voted for him, the same goes to Cameron, but no they didn't. This applies to many people like me. My vote will now always go to UKIP and I don't care if UKIP are bad or good.

You need to realise there is a huge distaste for lib/lab/con, seeing them stand as one (only the other day Cameron, Ashdown and Kinnock campaigned together) will not be forgotten. 2020 will be a very interesting election. Yes, the referendum will be won by the IN campaign but in the long term, they have damaged themselves. I don't know anyone who plans to vote for the mainstream parties whatever the result is in the referendum. Betrayal goes skin deep.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Almanis prediction market seems to broadly agree that the UK will stay at this stage with the market projecting an 88% chance that the remain vote wins: http://app.almanis.com/#/outcomes/214 Having said that, the average prediction over the last week or so is around 75%, which suggests that this is not a foregone conclusion and there is a reasonable chance that the vote could be close.
If you guys disagree with that percentage make a prediction on it and you become eligible for prizes!
Original post by Alex from almanis
The Almanis prediction market seems to broadly agree that the UK will stay at this stage with the market projecting an 88% chance that the remain vote wins: http://app.almanis.com/#/outcomes/214 Having said that, the average prediction over the last week or so is around 75%, which suggests that this is not a foregone conclusion and there is a reasonable chance that the vote could be close.
If you guys disagree with that percentage make a prediction on it and you become eligible for prizes!

The vote will be close leave will get at least 40% that's for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omen96
I'm absolutely certain we will vote in and in my eyes that is not the purpose of the referendum. It's the aftermath I am interested in. The idea UKIP will die has no validity considering the SNP never died. Euroscepticism won't suddenly disappear. Decades and years of hatred will not cease to exist. We will accept the verdict but that doesn't mean politics hasnt changed. I for one feel betrayed by the establishment, by Cameron, Corbyn, Clegg, Sturgeon, all of them. I can speak for every other Eurosceptic I know as well. Do you really think I would ever in my life vote for either of these mainstream parties ever again after feeling betrayed. Had Corbyn stayed firm against the EU I would have voted for him, the same goes to Cameron, but no they didn't. This applies to many people like me. My vote will now always go to UKIP and I don't care if UKIP are bad or good.

You need to realise there is a huge distaste for lib/lab/con, seeing them stand as one (only the other day Cameron, Ashdown and Kinnock campaigned together) will not be forgotten. 2020 will be a very interesting election. Yes, the referendum will be won by the IN campaign but in the long term, they have damaged themselves. I don't know anyone who plans to vote for the mainstream parties whatever the result is in the referendum. Betrayal goes skin deep.

UKIP will get more support after a remain vote but only enough for a few more seats it will take getting more than 20% nationally to get more than that.

Also it should be remembered it will be 4 years until the GE so lots of time for forgetting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well maybe not as may people re changing allegiances my nan is now 85 she voted labour up to 2010 then changed to ukip but with the panama paper pressure heating up and the public liking Boris is could go out and end Cameron's entire career if we did leave as the current scandal isn't helping his campaign and when a last looked the leave side was ahead by a slight margin but there's 9 weeks to go and that is when we will find out for sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending