The Student Room Group

Sister attempted suicide

So yesterday my sister attempted suicide by taking about 12 anti - anxiety tablets. We quickly took her to the hospital but thank goodness it wasn't too serious.

For the last few days I've been feeling very tense and depressed. Yesterday when this happened I just lost it. I love my sister dearly and can't imagine living without her. The sight of her lying unconsciously on the floor was very traumatising.

In the night I cried and cried. I started vomiting and had the worst headache imaginable.

I feel so depressed. The minute I was home alone today I started screaming and crying and I feel so hopeless. I feel so drained.

Is there any way I can make it through these 6 upcoming weeks. My AS exams start in less then a month. I'm having difficulties concentrating and feel like an utter failure.
aww bless your little heart :smile: i would feel as bad as you do if one of my sisters tried to do something like that. it is traumatizing, am so sorry to hear to this. i say keep yourself focused on something else. get your self out of the house, go for a run or something. please don't neglect yourself. You have exams coming up and you really need to focus on them. i know it's hard but you really need to help yourself before anyone could help. Hang out with your friends. Tell a close person how your feeling, it could really help. try going to the library with some friends and try revising there. i really do wish you all the best :smile::smile:
I've been through this as well and it is horrible. You need to talk to someone about what is going on at the moment, it's easy to feel like it all has to be about your sister right now but you need support too. Ideally talk to your parents/family but if you can't, talk to someone at school. Try and look after yourself and do some nice things and self care. There's not really anything I can say to make you stop feeling the way you do, seeing your sibling in such a scary state is traumatic and the constant worry about what they might do next is horrendous... just try and find some support to get through it.
See your GP. Explain to the school and maube they will ask the exam bioard for mitigating circumstances.

As for your exams you must focus for 6 weeks and let everything else go on outside your bubble. Do well for your sister. Cry and be upset after.
If you cant talk to anyone about the self harming then chat to a counselor on childline 0800 1111.

Ps I hope your sister is well and she doesnt try anything so dramatic again. Hopefully your parents have spotted it and you can look after her, after the exams.
Similar thing happened with a friend and her sibling recently, she didn't want to admit it but it really shook her up. Don't be afraid to talk to people you trust about this. Knowing somebody you care about and love so much doesn't want to live is a terrible thing and you have every right to be in pain. It doesn't make you selfish or attention seeking or anything, it makes you a loving brother/sister.

I'd definitely say talk to your parents about it, and when your sister has recovered enough (nobody can predict when that will be but hoping it's soon!) I think you should also talk to her about just how much she means to you; knowing what it would do to my sister if I'd have killed myself has honestly stopped me in my tracks more times than I can count and made helped me find some meaning in my own life! But first definitely go the parent route, and if necessary a school counselor or even a teacher that you really trust. I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help you through this :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
So yesterday my sister attempted suicide by taking about 12 anti - anxiety tablets. We quickly took her to the hospital but thank goodness it wasn't too serious.

For the last few days I've been feeling very tense and depressed. Yesterday when this happened I just lost it. I love my sister dearly and can't imagine living without her. The sight of her lying unconsciously on the floor was very traumatising.

In the night I cried and cried. I started vomiting and had the worst headache imaginable. I also started self harming something which I haven't done in a long time.

I feel so depressed. The minute I was home alone today I started screaming and crying and I feel so hopeless. I feel so drained.

Is there any way I can make it through these 6 upcoming weeks. My AS exams start in less then a month. I'm having difficulties concentrating and feel like an utter failure.

That is terrible to hear. I'm glad it wasn't too serious though.

Is your sister getting any help? I assume she has been to a doctor before to get the tablets she took so I would suggest (if this isn't being done already) contacting the doctor to let them know about her current state and possibly updating her treatment. I hope she gets better soon. You and your family could look at sites like samaritans or mind or ask a doctor for advice on how to help her.

Now for you... You have undergone a very traumatic experience and allowances can be made for such things. Talk to your school/ college about supporting you with your work and exams. Your health and wellbeing is more important than exams- they cn be re-taken if need be. Focus on you for now.

I would suggest you go see a doctor and talk to them about what has happened and how you have been feeling. I would also suggest you look into various forms of support and see if you think ay of them could help. Mind.org gives some good advice about mh problems for both those who have them and the people who know them. Samaritans is a good site too. They have a call service for people in crisis and also an email service for talking things out anonymously. Counseling can be very helpful and your school/ college will probably provide a service. It's free for some amont of sessions if you are nnot an adult i believe. You could talk to a doctor about treatments like medication or therapy aswell if you want.
Talking is good so I suggest you try to find somebody to talk to be it a counselor, teacher, family member or friend.

I hope you and your sister both feel better soon. It is a very hard situation, but it does get better so hang in there.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your kind words. You're right I need to focus no matter how hard it may be. I will try my best and hopefully in August I will get the results I want. Thank you again for taking out your time to read this and for replying.
Reply 7
aww bless your little heart :smile: i would feel as bad as you do if one of my sisters tried to do something like that. it is traumatizing, am so sorry to hear to this. i say keep yourself focused on something else. get your self out of the house, go for a run or something. please don't neglect yourself. You have exams coming up and you really need to focus on them. i know it's hard but you really need to help yourself before anyone could help. Hang out with your friends. Tell a close person how your feeling, it could really help. try going to the library with some friends and try revising there. i really do wish you all the best :smile::smile:

Thank you so much for your kind words. You're right I need to focus no matter how hard it may be. I will try my best and hopefully in August I will get the results I want. Thank you again for taking out your time to read this and for replying.
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
I've been through this as well and it is horrible. You need to talk to someone about what is going on at the moment, it's easy to feel like it all has to be about your sister right now but you need support too. Ideally talk to your parents/family but if you can't, talk to someone at school. Try and look after yourself and do some nice things and self care. There's not really anything I can say to make you stop feeling the way you do, seeing your sibling in such a scary state is traumatic and the constant worry about what they might do next is horrendous... just try and find some support to get through it.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been through this as well :frown: idk how to stop replaying what happened over and over again. I've been in bed for the last 3 days but I think it's time for me to start living again if my sister can fake a smile then I definitely can too! Thank you for taking your time to read this and for replying it really means a lot
Reply 9
Original post by alexschmalex
Similar thing happened with a friend and her sibling recently, she didn't want to admit it but it really shook her up. Don't be afraid to talk to people you trust about this. Knowing somebody you care about and love so much doesn't want to live is a terrible thing and you have every right to be in pain. It doesn't make you selfish or attention seeking or anything, it makes you a loving brother/sister.

I'd definitely say talk to your parents about it, and when your sister has recovered enough (nobody can predict when that will be but hoping it's soon!) I think you should also talk to her about just how much she means to you; knowing what it would do to my sister if I'd have killed myself has honestly stopped me in my tracks more times than I can count and made helped me find some meaning in my own life! But first definitely go the parent route, and if necessary a school counselor or even a teacher that you really trust. I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help you through this :smile:

Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I did talk to a teacher yesterday and they were very helpful and they are going to do all they can to help me now. Actually I've been the reason why my sister stopped herself for a very long time but she told me that when she took those tablets she wasn't herself..her brain was just not working.. Thank you so much again :smile:
Original post by Kindred
That is terrible to hear. I'm glad it wasn't too serious though.

Is your sister getting any help? I assume she has been to a doctor before to get the tablets she took so I would suggest (if this isn't being done already) contacting the doctor to let them know about her current state and possibly updating her treatment. I hope she gets better soon. You and your family could look at sites like samaritans or mind or ask a doctor for advice on how to help her.

Now for you... You have undergone a very traumatic experience and allowances can be made for such things. Talk to your school/ college about supporting you with your work and exams. Your health and wellbeing is more important than exams- they cn be re-taken if need be. Focus on you for now.

I would suggest you go see a doctor and talk to them about what has happened and how you have been feeling. I would also suggest you look into various forms of support and see if you think ay of them could help. Mind.org gives some good advice about mh problems for both those who have them and the people who know them. Samaritans is a good site too. They have a call service for people in crisis and also an email service for talking things out anonymously. Counseling can be very helpful and your school/ college will probably provide a service. It's free for some amont of sessions if you are nnot an adult i believe. You could talk to a doctor about treatments like medication or therapy aswell if you want.
Talking is good so I suggest you try to find somebody to talk to be it a counselor, teacher, family member or friend.

I hope you and your sister both feel better soon. It is a very hard situation, but it does get better so hang in there.

Thank you so so much for taking out your time to write this. My sister actually told me that she's been seeing a doctor every week since 2014 and that she actually threatened him to give her those tablets so I see why he did it. She told me that no blame should go on him as he has helped my sister a lot. He's someone my sister can trust and he's always someone she can talk to. I have gone to him a few times too and I know that he is very nice. I talked to my head of year yesterday and they said they will do everything to help me. I haven't done any work for the last 3 days and even though it's very hard I need to pull myself together and work hard for myself and for my sister because she feels really guilty seeing me in a state like this. Again thank you so much :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
See your GP. Explain to the school and maube they will ask the exam bioard for mitigating circumstances.

As for your exams you must focus for 6 weeks and let everything else go on outside your bubble. Do well for your sister. Cry and be upset after.
If you cant talk to anyone about the self harming then chat to a counselor on childline 0800 1111.

Ps I hope your sister is well and she doesnt try anything so dramatic again. Hopefully your parents have spotted it and you can look after her, after the exams.

I talked to my head of year yesterday and they said they will do everything they can to help me! Thank you so much for your advice it may seem really harsh but you are completely right. I need to concentrate on my exams and I need to do well for my sister. When she took those tablets she came to my room for the last time and told me how well I would do and regardless of spending hours looking at Uni's I would make it to the best one. Thank you again and I will do my best to be strong
Thank you so so much for taking out your time to write this. My sister actually told me that she's been seeing a doctor every week since 2014 and that she actually threatened him to give her those tablets so I see why he did it. She told me that no blame should go on him as he has helped my sister a lot. He's someone my sister can trust and he's always someone she can talk to. I have gone to him a few times too and I know that he is very nice. I talked to my head of year yesterday and they said they will do everything to help me. I haven't done any work for the last 3 days and even though it's very hard I need to pull myself together and work hard for myself and for my sister because she feels really guilty seeing me in a state like this. Again thank you so much :smile:

I'm glad you are both getting help and that your school is being supportive. Remember to give yourself time for your emotions too even if you want to stay strong infront of your sister. You are no use to her if you end up in a really bad state.
I hope things continue to improve for you and your family. Remember that there is always support out there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest