The Student Room Group

What is the worst movie adaptation you've ever seen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007

Most book adaptations are actually really good: LOTR, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Divergent, Hunger Games etc.

I'd say HG/Divergent were fine. As was Mortal Instruments. Although the Shadowhunters TV show is atrocious.

I hate Maze runner though (another YA movie adaptation). What do you think?
Original post by samina_ay
Twilight

Really??

I don't think the source was that good to begin with. My opinion was that the movies were acceptably faithful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Every film adapted from a game. Though I didn't mind the first Hitman too much
Original post by ZuluK
A series of unfortunate events :colonhash:

Let's hope the Netflix Series (starring NPH) is better :awesome:.
Reply 23
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Let's hope the Netflix Series (starring NPH) is better :awesome:.

Omg omg omg OMG omg omg omg OMG !!!! How did I not know this????? I can't wait!!!! I love Neil!!!!!!

Hopefully it'll be good :h: thanks for telling
I'd say HG/Divergent were fine. As was Mortal Instruments. Although the Shadowhunters TV show is atrocious.

Really??

I don't think the source was that good to begin with. My opinion was that the movies were acceptably faithful.

The acting was painful to watch. Was better in my head tbh
the last airbender was so crap :biggrin:
Reply 26
You've mentioned my number 1 which was Eragon. Absolutely awful film.

Unlike you, I actually did enjoy The last Airbender :colondollar:. Thought it was mediocre.

2. The Golden Compass

It lacked the controversy of the source material and the resultant movie was some terrible boring thing which fell flat. I felt like the magic of the book was lost. Definitely worth skipping.

3. The giver
Fairly unfaithful to the book. Action added as well as a romance due to MC being aged up to 16 from 12.

Oh god I had forgotten the Golden Compass, I thought it did a lot right. Ian Mckellen as Iorek was brilliant, but yeah how they got so much wrong was baffling. They cut the Northern Lights scene from the book called the Northern Lights FFS.
Reply 27
Original post by hellodave5
Every film adapted from a game. Though I didn't mind the first Hitman too much

This could be the year that changes.

Ratchet and Clank, Warcraft and Assassins Creed come out this year, plus they've just cast the woman from Ex Machina to play Lara Croft.
The Village of the Damned remake. All of the intelligence of the original Midwich Cuckoos book (and the first film version) was taken out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
This could be the year that changes.

Ratchet and Clank, Warcraft and Assassins Creed come out this year, plus they've just cast the woman from Ex Machina to play Lara Croft.

You're right, that's true.
Warcraft is by a great director but not one with a lot of history, and that lass was great (and very attractive :biggrin: ) in Ex Machina
Reply 30
The Great Gatsby is up there tbh.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Tales from Earthsea. :yucky: I thought it was quite bad in its own right, before I read the Earthsea Quartet - after reading the books, it seemed thousands of times worse. Why blend the stories and characters together into a badly paced, incoherent mess when a straight adaptation of any of them would have made for fantastic viewing? :frown:

What did you think of Dragon Ball Evolution :/ ?
What did you think of Dragon Ball Evolution :/ ?

Haven't watched it. :dontknow:
The Bone Collector and Jack Reacher aka One Shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you will have difficulty beating a film called Murder at the Gallop based on an Agatha Christie novel called After the Funeral

Here are some behind the scenes clips from the faithful TV version with David Suchet as Poirot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_C4N8HjEjs

Here is the film Murder at the Gallop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHFkkkxaJw

with Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple dancing the jitterbug

I've never seen Mortal Instruments or Maze Runner. Never really felt the desire to watch them, haha.

Never heard of Shadowhunter either! Will Google it.

I did enjoy Stormbreaker, which was an adaptation of the first book in the Alex Rider series. Even though it did really badly I was hoping they would keep going and make sequels, but it looks like that's never going to happen. :frown:
If you count comic book movies as adaptations, there's a few that were really bad:

Spoiler

Okay. So. This is very unfair of me, I know: but Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I can see from the trailer alone that not only the characters and some very fundamental plot elements gave been changed, but the whole theme itself, as if appealing to a significantly you get demographic. Perhaps the film might be different. But I have little hope.
House of the Dead. Brilliantly fun games, boring AF film and stupidly bizarre at times.
The Mortal Instruments, was not a big fan of a lot of the cast amongst other things. The netflix tv series Shadowhunters I don't love but is a lot better

Quick Reply

Latest