The Student Room Group

OCD

I think I have OCD, any advice?
Btw I'm 15 years old.

You can ask me questions to see if I definitely don't have it but I think I do...

Thanks
Reply 1
I have OCD and have done for most of my life and the only way you can know for sure if you have it or not is to be evulated by your GP and/or psychologist. There are plenty of online tests you can do but they aren't a definite diagnosis but can give you a good indication on whether or not you suffer from it. Its a very complex condition with many different forms. I have drug, toxin and chemical contamination fears plus magical thinking whereas the next person with OCD has it with perfectionism and germ contamination fears and then the next person might have Pure O.

A lot of people think they have OCD when in fact they actually have OCPD, which unlike OCD, is a personality disorder and not an anxiety based illness unlike OCD.

Best bet would be to go to your doctor if your symptoms are having a negative impact on your quality of life and also take up a lot or most of the your time during the day.
Reply 2
Original post by _Xenon_
Btw I'm 15 years old.

You can ask me questions to see if I definitely don't have it but I think I do...

Thanks

Hey,
first off all those "this will drive your ocd crazy" pics are jokes. OCD is different for different people and things that trigger it for some people won't for others. There's this cliche idea of OCD being about germs and cleaning things or order and sequence. That isn't true, or at least not always.

Guess the place to start is why do you think you have OCD?

Have you looked online for definitions of ocd or anything. I think mind.org does a decent explination of most mh issues including ocd. There are "ocd tests" too. Some of them are total bs and none of them are going to be completely accurate, but it just helps give a bit of an idea if you're confused.
Basic explination of ocd is that it can consist of two parts- obsession and compulsion. There could be some thoughts you migt obsess over, maybe getting ill from touching contaminated things or something less logical like your family being hurt (often due to you not doing some ritual). The rituals are the compulsion. You might feel compelled to do certian things.
It's all a bit vegue becaus eit can be so different for people. Some may have a lot of focus on the thoughs and some may be more focused on rituals and each of them can encompas basicall anything. Often the obsession and compulsion will be linked like washing your hands (compulsion) becaus you are afraid of germs or not eating a certian thing to stop your family being hurt (isn't always a logical link). They can be unrelated though.

For me ocd is/ was mostly ritual. There was never really any obsessive though behind my compulsions, I just did them because my body made me. I did get some obsessive toughts, but the thing I noticed most was the compulions.
I'd need to flick lightswitches loads of times until it felt right or take an even number of steps on each piece of ground. I found myself counting my steps in sixes for no reason (everything was done by even numbers, usually two or six).
I would also sometimes have the urge to do things like open the car door while mooving or at one point even jumping on the train tracks. Not really sure if that was obsession or compulsion since I never acted on it.

Obsessions for me were things like me harming myself or getting myself into a bad situation, but I don't remember that as much and I don't think it lasted as long as the other stuff.

Anyway I hope some of that helps you get an idea of ocd if you need it. Let me know what has you thinking about it and we can have a chat. Might be that you would benefit from some help from a doc or something (thats what helped me recover btw), but we'll get to that later.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more privately about anything. Yo can ask me any questions too.
Reply 3
Original post by _Xenon_
Btw I'm 15 years old.

Thanks

Best advice would be to speak with a professional. Even those of us qualified to diagnose, couldn't do so over this medium. Online testing isn't really fit for purpose but, can help you to describe what you feel like to your doctor. Because sometimes we don't think something needs mentioning but it does.
Reply 4
Also, the majority of tests available online are geared towards adults. I really wouldn't recommend them for giving any indication of mental illness
I'd highly reccomend going to see the doctor and get properly evaluated!
I made the mistake of keeping it quiet and I ended up housebound because I got so bad!
OCD is nothing to be taken lightly (I have it myself) and is a lot easier to eradicate if treated early. There's less to work on that way and you won't be as severe as if you were to leave it!
Go to the doctors and get properly evaluated.

I first noticed it when I would get a strange feeling on my body after touching things. It feels like I've got something on me but I can't see it. Like I've put my hands in mud or something. The only way to remove this feeling is by washing that part of my body (yes it affects my whole body, not just my hands). When I got to college, as soon as I enter the building, I get this feeling all over my body and the only way to remove it is by showering!
I was at school preparing for my GCSE's when I first noticed it. I was extremely stressed out at the time and was getting these feelings on me and had also noticed I was getting intrusive thoughts. These thoughts were about things that I personally didn't like! I would have to say a certain phrase over and over to remove the thoughts. I would get a strange feeling in my head and these phrases are the equivalent of washing the inside of my head. They clear it out!
I still have these issues (along with many others)m the difference being, I kept them quiet and let them get worse! I was scared and confused and thought it would go away! It didn't!
I've had two rounds of therapy and I'm still nowhere near better. I'm now going to see a phychologist now to see if that helps me any more.

Go and see the doctor if you want to live a happy OCD free life!

Quick Reply

Latest