The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miss_rearoo
What are we thinking is likely to come up on the OCR and Ethics AS papers this year? My teacher has mentioned that Plato hasn't come up for a few years and reckons it might be the cave analogy, and also she has a hunch on war and peace. I know it's impossible to know for sure, but does anyone have any different ideas?
Thankyou in advance :smile:

Hi! I put your question in the official thread for this exam :h:
Original post by VivekJ555
Hi Everyone

This is the official thread for the OCR AS Specification of Philosophy and Ethics

Exam dates:
Thursday 19th May AM: Philosophy of Religion
Friday 27th May AM: Religious Ethics

// Please use this thread to post any predicted questions or topics that may come up in the exams in a couple of weeks (not long to go!)

I'll be posting some revision notes / flash cards that I have made, which may be of some use to you. It will be attached to this thread soon.

In the meantime, get predicting, get revising, and get your game on!

Good luck!

What would I need to include for this question: "Dignity does not matter to a follower of religious ethics" Discuss (10)
Hey guys, wish you good luck x not doing this exam this year but next year however thought I should start looking at the specification and becoming familiar with the content :smile:
Reply 43
More Predictions...
Philosophy:
-Plato's Analogy of the Cave
-Kant's Criticisms of the Ontological Argument
-God as creator

Ethics:
-Explain the main principles of utilitarianism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions for utilitarianism and situation ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hey would be really interested in this- can you dm so I can add this group on watts app - exam in only 2 weeks!!

Original post by RueXO
Hey guys :smile: I've got an AS philosophy &I ethics study group up on whatsapp. Currently only two other people in it though. If anyone wants to be in it please DM me name and number! Also If you do choose to be in it please do share resources such as pages from textbook, essays, or anything really (as you'd want other people to do so😊)
Cheers,
Rue.

(I choose whatsapp as we can easily send audio vns to explain things, easily take pics of stuff to send it, etc. It's just so convenient and easy)
Reply 46
Original post by User1102
Hey would be really interested in this- can you dm so I can add this group on watts app - exam in only 2 weeks!!

Ok
More Predictions...
Philosophy:
-Plato's Analogy of the Cave
-Kant's Criticisms of the Ontological Argument
-God as creator

Ethics:
-Explain the main principles of utilitarianism

Posted from TSR Mobile

why his cave? the last question on plato was about his cave.well be lucky if a plato even comes this year coz were the last year. the things im not revising are god, evil science, teleological, aristotle, moral but some of them will come up. hopefully plato ontological and cosmological comes up then im sorted. and yh kant is prob likely coz theres little to rite. if they ask about plato cave it would be like "explain why there were only 3 prisioners and not 5" or some stupid tingz like that coz this yeasr theyre gonna go wild on us poor people.
I have no idea where you got this from, but it's incorrect. Plato has come up twice whilst the rest have been testedd five or six times. OCR do not ask questions like your one about the philosopher. It would be 'explain the cave analogy' or 'describe the realm of forms'.
Original post by AnwarArcher
why his cave? the last question on plato was about his cave.well be lucky if a plato even comes this year coz were the last year. the things im not revising are god, evil science, teleological, aristotle, moral but some of them will come up. hopefully plato ontological and cosmological comes up then im sorted. and yh kant is prob likely coz theres little to rite. if they ask about plato cave it would be like "explain why there were only 3 prisioners and not 5" or some stupid tingz like that coz this yeasr theyre gonna go wild on us poor people.
is anybody else not revising certain topics? i really do not know if that's a good idea, but it does sound better.
Reply 51
Original post by AnwarArcher

My bad, not his cave
This website has a good source of predictions - look at these screenshots ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462276836.458454.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462276848.620028.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462276857.456466.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
The images above I have uploaded are predictions and according to last year's paper, these predictions for last year were 87.5% right in the sense that 3.5 out of the 4 questions came up
Just not a part b

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
The images above I have uploaded are predictions and according to last year's paper, these predictions for last year were 87.5% right in the sense that 3.5 out of the 4 questions came up
Just not a part b

Posted from TSR Mobile

His predictions weren't even that good last year. he got 3 of the topics right but no way near the questions. he predicts too easy questions compared to what they ask.
what im saying is it wont be as easy as "explain plato's forms". i dont even know where u got that percentage but u couldnt of survived if u focussed on his predictions.
Original post by jennaelizaaa
I have no idea where you got this from, but it's incorrect. Plato has come up twice whilst the rest have been testedd five or six times. OCR do not ask questions like your one about the philosopher. It would be 'explain the cave analogy' or 'describe the realm of forms'.

Fistly, i was only exaggerating that philosopher question thing. secondly, they wont ask u to describe his forms. u should realise that all the questions are "explain". i already know that plato was only asked twice but what i was saying is that the last question on plato was about his cave. it wont make sense if they ask about the cave again but they could still ask you for example "explain what the sun symbolizes in plato analogy". u shouldnt think that this will be a paper like the ones before lool. its gonna be much harder
Predictions for religious experiences and Freud?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys they could even ask 'explain the main criticisms of the platonic forms' 🙄
Question 1
a) Explain Plato’s theory of Forms.b) Assess the claim that Plato does not value experience enough.
This is the last year of this paper, Plato has not been asked since 2013 but Plato’s Forms were not asked about since 2012. Question 2
a) Explain Anselm’s Ontological Argument.b) Assess Gaunilo’s challenge to Anselm.
The Ontological Argument was not asked since 2013. St Anselm was not asked since 2010.
Question 3
a) Explain Hume’s criticisms of the cosmological argument.b) To what extent was Hume successful in his critique of the cosmological argument?
The Cosmological Argument was asked in 2014, but Hume’s challenges were not asked since 2011.
Question 4
a) Explain the theodicies of both Augustine and Irenaeus.b) ‘There is no solution to the problem of evil and suffering.’ Discuss.
In 2014 the problem of evil was asked, but the theodicies were not asked since 2013. That question was about both theodicies. As it is the last paper it is likely at least one of the theodicies will be asked, perhaps both.
Found on : http://peped.org/philosophicalinvestigations/predictions-philosophy-religion-a2-2016/
they have one for ethics aswell!!!
Does anybody know the questions they asked last year?
June 2015:
Q1 (a) Explain the belief that god is both lawgiver and judge.
(b) ‘God is not good.’ Discuss.

Q2. (a) Explain the teleological argument and Hume’s criticisms of it.
(b) ‘Hume successfully demonstrates that there is no evidence for the existence of God.’Discuss.

Q3. (a) Explain what Kant believed about the innate moral awareness in human beings.
(b) ‘Moral awareness is more about guilt than God.’ Discuss.

Q4. (a) Explain what Aristotle meant by material, efficient, formal and final causes.
(b) To what extent was Aristotle successful in explaining the world?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending