The Student Room Group

Any advice for aqa physics a2 ISA/practical?

Hi,

I'm self teaching the aqa physics a spec, and I've got my practical coming up in a few words, unit code: PHYA6X, it's the route X version of unit 6, stands for "externally marked" (presuming most student do route T "teacher assessed", not sure if theres any difference?)

As I only got a D last year in the practical, yet As on both the written papers, I'm in dire need of some advice!
I found it difficult to prepare for last year, as you don't get any prerelease information as some of the other science subjects do, as well as no having any lab experience.

Thanks
Anyone?
Hi! Not sure if you've taken the exam yet, but assuming you're doing the EMPA, the main points which come up every year are:
-Write units for anything you write down as you'll lose all your marks for taking readings otherwise
- Graphs can be worth a lot of marks- double check your plotted points, label axes with variable and unit, use a scale so that your points cover at least half the graph paper (as big a scale as possible really!), draw a line of best fit with equal number of points above/below it, if taking a gradient use as much of the line of best fit as possible (at least 8 big squares)
-make sure you have the right number of significant figures, especially in a table- each column needs the same number of decimal places
-If you're writing units, use a slash, not brackets
- Put your independent variable on the left hand column in a table

I think that's the main general points for the practical papers, good luck and hope this helps!
Original post by Artemis200
Hi! Not sure if you've taken the exam yet, but assuming you're doing the EMPA, the main points which come up every year are:
-Write units for anything you write down as you'll lose all your marks for taking readings otherwise
- Graphs can be worth a lot of marks- double check your plotted points, label axes with variable and unit, use a scale so that your points cover at least half the graph paper (as big a scale as possible really!), draw a line of best fit with equal number of points above/below it, if taking a gradient use as much of the line of best fit as possible (at least 8 big squares)
-make sure you have the right number of significant figures, especially in a table- each column needs the same number of decimal places
-If you're writing units, use a slash, not brackets
- Put your independent variable on the left hand column in a table

I think that's the main general points for the practical papers, good luck and hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips! Do you know if we get a formula sheet for those?
Original post by JohnnyDavidson
Thanks for the tips! Do you know if we get a formula sheet for those?

We didn't get formula sheets for the practical part of the exam, but you don't really need them as it's more questions about the actual experiment. I presume if there are any calculations which you need the formula for in the written section, you'd be given a formula sheet- I can let you know if I get one or not on friday when we do the written section :P
Original post by Artemis200
We didn't get formula sheets for the practical part of the exam, but you don't really need them as it's more questions about the actual experiment. I presume if there are any calculations which you need the formula for in the written section, you'd be given a formula sheet- I can let you know if I get one or not on friday when we do the written section :P

Ah ok thanks. Are you doing the same as me btw? (Aqa unit6x EMPA)

Unfoetunately ill have already done mine by friday haha, got mine this week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending