The Student Room Group

Psychology A Level Fast Track

Hello everyone!

I’m wanting to sit the A Level AQA psychology exams in May/June 2024. None of the colleges near me offer this option and I can’t think of any other subject I may want to do.

So far I’ve been going through social influence and it’s straightforward enough. I need to have covered social influence, memory and attachment by late November/early December so I can sit a mock for my UCAS predicted grade.

I was able to get up learn for free and I have the coloured hair lady and cgp guide and I’ve found some other resources online.

Does anyone have any advice for 1)psychology A level in general 2)completing an A level in one year (any subject - what was your experience like? What grade did you achieve?) 3)maybe other subjects I should be thinking of fast tracking as opposed to psychology and 4)if anyone has any extra resources I would more than appreciate!
Original post by student1638
Hello everyone!

I’m wanting to sit the A Level AQA psychology exams in May/June 2024. None of the colleges near me offer this option and I can’t think of any other subject I may want to do.

So far I’ve been going through social influence and it’s straightforward enough. I need to have covered social influence, memory and attachment by late November/early December so I can sit a mock for my UCAS predicted grade.

I was able to get up learn for free and I have the coloured hair lady and cgp guide and I’ve found some other resources online.

Does anyone have any advice for 1)psychology A level in general 2)completing an A level in one year (any subject - what was your experience like? What grade did you achieve?) 3)maybe other subjects I should be thinking of fast tracking as opposed to psychology and 4)if anyone has any extra resources I would more than appreciate!

Hiya, I fasttracked sociology last year, and I can definitely say that it was a lot at first. Trying to get to grips with it all was hard, but I was learning AS and A2 content at the same time, so I’m sure it will be easier for you. I have also done A level psychology (although I did it over 2 years)
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hiya, I fasttracked sociology last year, and I can definitely say that it was a lot at first. Trying to get to grips with it all was hard, but I was learning AS and A2 content at the same time, so I’m sure it will be easier for you. I have also done A level psychology (although I did it over 2 years)

Hi, oh my goodness! How was it for you for both subjects? What did you end up getting in the end? This is what I'm doing right AS and A2 but focusing on AS paper 1 now so I can get a good predicted for UCAS (I have to sit a mock paper - they’ll roughly predict me one grade above whatever I achieve in those).

I feel so stressed, it’s basically what you said, getting into grips with the content, especially without a qualified teacher!! I got a tutor, but she’s only 2 years older and although she achieved an excellent grade and is on her way to Oxford uni nothing can replace a teacher in terms of marking, experience and feedback I don’t think… ☹️
Hello everyone!

I would recommend going on physics and math tutor and they have already done revision notes on it. All that is needed is to effectively memorise the content and you will be good to go. I think people lose the most marks on research methods. As such,I would recommend doing a lot of paper 2 past papers

Hi, oh my goodness! How was it for you for both subjects? What did you end up getting in the end? This is what I'm doing right AS and A2 but focusing on AS paper 1 now so I can get a good predicted for UCAS (I have to sit a mock paper - they’ll roughly predict me one grade above whatever I achieve in those).

I feel so stressed, it’s basically what you said, getting into grips with the content, especially without a qualified teacher!! I got a tutor, but she’s only 2 years older and although she achieved an excellent grade and is on her way to Oxford uni nothing can replace a teacher in terms of marking, experience and feedback I don’t think… ☹️

Yeah I fully get that, having a teacher is so valuable. I think the longer you work at it and the more into the spec you get, the more it will begin to make sense for you. At least that’s what I found. I ended up getting A*A*. It’s really good that you have a tutor though! As someone else said, I highly recommend physics and maths tutor for psychology. I found it sooooo helpful when it came to revision, especially the question banks. Just practice practice practice PPQ’s
Reply 5
Original post by Trevor Correia
I would recommend going on physics and math tutor and they have already done revision notes on it. All that is needed is to effectively memorise the content and you will be good to go. I think people lose the most marks on research methods. As such,I would recommend doing a lot of paper 2 past papers

Thank you!! I’ll be checking it out and pay especial attention to research methods!
Reply 6
Original post by Squiggles1238
Yeah I fully get that, having a teacher is so valuable. I think the longer you work at it and the more into the spec you get, the more it will begin to make sense for you. At least that’s what I found. I ended up getting A*A*. It’s really good that you have a tutor though! As someone else said, I highly recommend physics and maths tutor for psychology. I found it sooooo helpful when it came to revision, especially the question banks. Just practice practice practice PPQ’s

Woah!! Way to go with those grades 🥳 I’ve heard that past papers are amazing but wanted to get a bit more into the content before starting them so I actually have a clue about what to write…

Can I ask what other resources did you use and what was your routine like (how did you approach self studying psychology) did you find someone to mark your past papers or…?

Sorry for the amount of questions! Just so happy I found someone that did what I’m attempting to do and did it so well too!!

Woah!! Way to go with those grades 🥳 I’ve heard that past papers are amazing but wanted to get a bit more into the content before starting them so I actually have a clue about what to write…

Can I ask what other resources did you use and what was your routine like (how did you approach self studying psychology) did you find someone to mark your past papers or…?

Sorry for the amount of questions! Just so happy I found someone that did what I’m attempting to do and did it so well too!!

Not a problem :smile:

I self marked for the most part and asked my teacher to mark essays (you could ask your tutor to mark your essays for you). I can’t say I had a routine per se but my revision did include, flashcards, blurting, and then PPQ’s in that order :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest