The Student Room Group

Being called an anorexic... [Male]

First off, this has been a constant theme throughout my life. I have always been skinny, as a child, as a teen and now as a man (i'm 19). My childhood scarred me pretty well when it came to eating. I was fussy with food, I admit that, and I still am, however, I definitely eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, so there's nothing wrong in that department.

I wasn't bullied, but there's always been comments that have built up over the years. More recently, as a matter of fact, today my "friend" called me anorexic and that I looked 'undernourished'. This was simply to get at me (trust me, I know). He is also aware of my vegetarianism and ate a meat sandwich right in my face. I have always tolerated his lifestyle, as everyone else's, but once again I am under attack.

I walked away from him after a heated argument and told him to stay away from me. He appeared apologetic, but it has just simply crossed the line. I feel like killing myself, everyone is out to get me, I can feel it. It's suffocating me.

I swivel from 134 to 138 lbs and I'm 6 foot. I get that I'm on the lean-side, but I'm borderline ideal on the BMI scale and I feel fine.

As a male, I also realize that it's uncommon for a guy like me to be in a situation like this. No offence to the girls, of course, it's just a much more female-dominated struggle due to societal pressures. For me, I simply cannot put weight on and these comments are driving me insane.

I can't breath.

Scroll to see replies

:frown: I feel for you. It's of course, easier said than done, but I'd keep my distance from anyone in your life who makes these comments. Like you said, you eat regularly and you didn't mention any health problems so the problem is with these people, not you. Please don't take to heart their stupid hang-ups. Friends don't put you down like that, they make you a happier, better person.

No matter your weight, it's easy for people to assume they have a right to make comments about your size or assume they know how healthy your lifestyle is and they don't. Don't give these people your time or power over your emotions.
Original post by Joel 96
First off, this has been a constant theme throughout my life. I have always been skinny, as a child, as a teen and now as a man (i'm 19). My childhood scarred me pretty well when it came to eating. I was fussy with food, I admit that, and I still am, however, I definitely eat 3 meals a day, plus snacks, so there's nothing wrong in that department.

I wasn't bullied, but there's always been comments that have built up over the years. More recently, as a matter of fact, today my "friend" called me anorexic and that I looked 'undernourished'. This was simply to get at me (trust me, I know). He is also aware of my vegetarianism and ate a meat sandwich right in my face. I have always tolerated his lifestyle, as everyone else's, but once again I am under attack.

I walked away from him after a heated argument and told him to stay away from me. He appeared apologetic, but it has just simply crossed the line. I feel like killing myself, everyone is out to get me, I can feel it. It's suffocating me.

I swivel from 134 to 138 lbs and I'm 6 foot. I get that I'm on the lean-side, but I'm borderline ideal on the BMI scale and I feel fine.

As a male, I also realize that it's uncommon for a guy like me to be in a situation like this. No offence to the girls, of course, it's just a much more female-dominated struggle due to societal pressures. For me, I simply cannot put weight on and these comments are driving me insane.

I can't breath.

3000-4000 calories a day and hit the weights
Not saying you'll ever get massive but you can put on considerable weight
Original post by Joel 96

I can't breath.

please, please speak to your gp about this
Reply 4
Original post by EllainKahlo
:frown: I feel for you. It's of course, easier said than done, but I'd keep my distance from anyone in your life who makes these comments. Like you said, you eat regularly and you didn't mention any health problems so the problem is with these people, not you. Please don't take to heart their stupid hang-ups. Friends don't put you down like that, they make you a happier, better person.

No matter your weight, it's easy for people to assume they have a right to make comments about your size or assume they know how healthy your lifestyle is and they don't. Don't give these people your time or power over your emotions.

Thank you. That made me feel a bit better.

Original post by plasmaman
3000-4000 calories a day and hit the weights
Not saying you'll ever get massive but you can put on considerable weight

Yeah, I keep telling myself to start working out, but I never get around to it. That's my own fault.

Original post by Blondie987
please, please speak to your gp about this

Maybe. I don't always feel this way. I seem to take instances and arguments 10x more seriously than other people. It really gets me down.
Original post by Joel 96
Thank you. That made me feel a bit better.

Yeah, I keep telling myself to start working out, but I never get around to it. That's my own fault.

Maybe. I don't always feel this way. I seem to take instances and arguments 10x more seriously than other people. It really gets me down.

Judgmental people are going to judge others no matter what they do and they're honestly not the type of people you want to impress, if you're happy with yourself that is all that matters and the only instance when people can make reference to your weight is when they are close to you and have your best interests at heart regarding your health. What you deem as perfect is perfect so try not to let others get to you but if you are getting so down as to feel like this, I would strongly advise at least checking up with your gp to get some professional advice
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
Judgmental people are going to judge others no matter what they do and they're honestly not the type of people you want to impress, if you're happy with yourself that is all that matters and the only instance when people can make reference to your weight is when they are close to you and have your best interests at heart regarding your health. What you deem as perfect is perfect so try not to let others get to you but if you are getting so down as to feel like this, I would strongly advise at least checking up with your gp to get some professional advice

Thank you Blondie, I'll consider it.
Reply 7
Original post by Joel 96

I can't breath.

Don't really see what the problem is? They just care about your well being. It's a bit ironic because today on the radio they were walking about how male anorexia often just goes unnoticed/ignored.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
Don't really see what the problem is? They just care about your well being. It's a bit ironic because today on the radio they were walking about how male anorexia often just goes unnoticed/ignored.

Fact is, I don't have anorexia. And all of the comments are insults or tongue-in-cheek. I realize it's hard to 'get' through text.
Reply 9
Original post by Joel 96
Fact is, I don't have anorexia. And all of the comments are insults or tongue-in-cheek. I realize it's hard to 'get' through text.

I know that. My point is, I honestly don't see why would it bother you? Are you sure they are trying to insult you? Sounds more like they are just teasing you. I'm quite skinny too and comments like that don't really get to me. I mean, there is nothing wrong with being skinny, you should actually take pride in it.
Things can change. I was 6'2'' 140lbs 3.5 years ago. I'm currently nearly 240lbs, with a lean mass weight of 175lbs - I need to cut atm due to a period of inactivity through illness pretty recently and still eating loads through that period, but I'm about 190lbs when lean.

Three meals a day with snacks doesn't tell us much and doesn't sound promising tbh, due to your self-confessed fussiness with food and lack of weight gain it sounds like they're not very sizeable meals. I know first hand what it's like to be labelled "that guy that eats loads and never gains weight" but when I assessed my average weekly caloric intake, it became clear that I was undereating. Of course, it's not a great idea to just gain fat as you won't look any better for it and probably just end up with a bit of a belly, so hitting some weights and learning to eat more is the way to go if being skinny is bothering you.
Original post by Joel 96

I can't breath.

If you're healthy, it's fine. Remember that comments could be driven be jealousy because everybody wants to be thin.
I know how you feel. I am often told that I am severely underweight (which I am), possibly anorexic (my mum said this a few days ago), and am always told that I don't eat enough. There have been times where I get really annoyed, because I try my hardest to eat as much as I can, but I just can't tolerate as much food as some people in my family. Even my youngest brother eats more than me sometimes.
Original post by 6A7B5B8C3CFD567
If you're healthy, it's fine. Remember that comments could be driven be jealousy because everybody wants to be thin.

Women do, blokes don't. It's emasculating.
Reply 14
Original post by WoodyMKC
Women do, blokes don't. It's emasculating.

That's a huge generalization. I, personally, don't think it is.
Wow dude, just wanted you to know.. you're not alone. Im 17 and I've been called anorexic way too many times because im freakishly skinny. i mean.. theres skinny... then theres my skinny. And don't get me wrong I'm not anorexic or unfit. I ALWAYS come first in bleep tests (fitness tests) and I have an amazing stamina. I used to swim professionally and am part of our local football team. So by NO means am I skinny. And I'm definitely not weak, I can do just as many pull ups as people my age who go to the gym on a daily. I'm just so skinny people think I don't eat. I eat 5 meals a day ffs I eat ridiculous proportions. Whenever I put on weight I lose it in like 3 or 4 months if I dont maintain my portion size. Recently I've starting putting on a bit of belly fat and have my abs are no longer visible. Thing is my abs used to be visible... but along with my ribs so idk how that works. I get called anorexic as a joke and its never affected me really... but then I turned 17 and had my first real crush. Sure I pulled her because I did something right or something but I can NEVER wear t-shirts outside because my elbows are freaky and my wrists look like they're popping out. Its sad but true. I always wear overly long sleeved clothes. I never wear shorts either because my legs are pretty skinny despite playing rugby for a very long time and playing for 2 football teams simulataneously. So what I'm saying is.. YOURE NOT ALONE SON. SOMEONE ELSE IS JUST AS FKED UP. But i dont let it get to me.. i'm wearing tshirts now and I just dont care anymore. I'm hitting the gym this summer to try and put on some more muscle. Good luck mate! you can do things about this!
Original post by Ciel.
That's a huge generalization. I, personally, don't think it is.

It's a mild generalisation, at worst. If you polled 100 skinny young guys on whether or not they like being skinny, the vast majority would answer no.
Original post by Joel 96

I can't breath.

I always had people worry and comment with my weight when for the most part I was healthy. I didn't have much of a healthy diet but just never put on much weight. Some people are just like that. It's more likely if you're vegetarian that you'll have some deficiencies (I have an iron one) cos it's not really what humans are built for and takes some careful work to make sure you're getting the right intake. Might be worth having some routine bloods done to check your levels are okay. Might help you keep a healthy weight and look. If you're okay on the bmi it would suggest you are healty weight wise, but some people are built a bit differently and look skinnier than they are (plus what looks like a healthy weight to most people is probably on the heavier end of healthy). Skinny look unhealthy quicker than fat does and tends to make people think of anorexia and malnourishment when a bit on the large side tend to just look well fed or a little indulged.

Don't want to make judgements about people I don't know but i'll go as far as to say what your friend did was not riendly, Yeah jokes are made amoung friends, but that crossed the joke line. That said, people make mistakes so as much as I might like to say he is a *insert bad word* you are better in a position to decide if he is really your friend and if he's worth sticking with.

I found that my weight never really bothered me until I became depressed for other reasons. By your comment about wanting to kill yourself and people being out to get you i'd say you might benefit from some support. Sounds a lot like ow I felt when my depression started. You might find that this weight stuff is just a sign of a bigger picture. Maybe look at mind.org to see if anything relates to you and if it does consider seein a doctor or something.
Reply 18
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's a mild generalisation, at worst. If you polled 100 skinny young guys on whether or not they like being skinny, the vast majority would answer no.

Noo, join the dark side.
Reply 19
I didn't expect this much support guys, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry I don't have enough time to respond thoroughly to you all individually, however, I did read everything and I've taken the advice, thanks!

@Ciel. I do realize that most people want to be thin, but I just want to put on enough weight so that people won't make comments, you know what I mean?

@WoodyMKC That's an amazing transformation, Woody, thank you. Gives me some hope.

@6A7B5B8C3CFD567 Yeah, that may be the case for some people, I'm not sure.

@moment of truth Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you too.

@Anonymous, Good luck to you too, and thank you.

@Kindred Yeah, I get that health and appearance isn't always mutually exclusive. What he said raised serious doubts about whether or not I can talk to him again. It just seemed to aggressive and unnecessary. I don't think I can be around people like that... And thank you, I'm considering seeing a GP. I hope your depression has gotten better.

Quick Reply

Latest