The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think there has to be one asking us to consider the potential impact to the surrounding area??
Can anyone take picture of the AIB booklet, im still waiting on getting mine, would appreciate to do some work on it over the Easter break. Also the zigzag booklet is apparently an extremely good resource material. Some schools provide it for free, but for those who dont it is highly recommended you get it. Just does cost £59 but id take an A in the test for a lot more than that!

http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/4546-GEO4B-Pre-Release-Pack.asp
Reply 22
I've just found this briefing paper on fracking created for MPs. It mentions Bowlands fracking and might be useful to read some section of it. I definitely intend to read the relevant bits before June!

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06073.pdf
Can anyone send me photos of the graphs in the booklet please? mines in black and white so cant see the different sections of the graphs:smile:
Has anyone ordered the zigzag booklet or received it from school? If your willing to share please PM me. :smile:
Reply 25
I am retaking my Geography unit 3 and 4 this year so I am revising everything myself at home. If anyone would be willing to share the zigzag booklet it would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 26
Anyone got any prediction for question??
Have gotten one of the Zigzag books today, it's super hefty and there's a lot in it 😳😳😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Any chance you could share, please? :colondollar: :colondollar:
Didn't study energy for AS so I'm really hoping this doesn't put me at too much of a disadvantage :/ Does anyone have some energy notes?
I do however live in the Fylde area so at least I'm familiar with the area (feel free to ask any questions though I don't know how much help I'll actually be)
Original post by Hesterrose
Didn't study energy for AS so I'm really hoping this doesn't put me at too much of a disadvantage :/ Does anyone have some energy notes?
I do however live in the Fylde area so at least I'm familiar with the area (feel free to ask any questions though I don't know how much help I'll actually be)

Hi, looking at the AQA spec for energy, I would recommend researching

- primary energy mix considered in a national context. So the UK and any recent energy mix will be fine. I used 2013.
- geopolitics of energy- conflict/co-operation in world affairs so in this context, factors threatening the energy security of the UK.
- the environmental impact of energy production (fracking)

If you cover those areas sufficiently and not rely solely on the AIB, you shouldn't be at a disadvantage.
Original post by ChelseaGeek666
Hi, looking at the AQA spec for energy, I would recommend researching

- primary energy mix considered in a national context. So the UK and any recent energy mix will be fine. I used 2013.
- geopolitics of energy- conflict/co-operation in world affairs so in this context, factors threatening the energy security of the UK.
- the environmental impact of energy production (fracking)

If you cover those areas sufficiently and not rely solely on the AIB, you shouldn't be at a disadvantage.

Okay thank you!
So I decided to contact Roseacre Awareness Group to get a real insight into what it's like for the local community, mainly because I live far away and also because Cuadrilla said they couldn't give me a site visit because they have to "prioritise" local students lol, anyway, I think this is a good read and in particular just shows the scale of fracking in the UK. I believe this is a good enough insight and after looking at the Cuadrilla website, it definitely helps balance an all important evaluative question, if we are asked one, to do with local impact/ whether cuadrilla should be allowed to continue fracking etc etc. This is the email I sent, with their responses, I hope this helps.

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to give me an insight as to what it is like to potentially have a local area used for hydraulic fracturing. I am a Alevel geography student and this year our unit 4 examination is on fracking in the UK, particularly Cuadrillas plans at sites Roseacre Wood and Preston Road. I would really appreciate if you could answer the following questions for me, so I can clearly get a balanced argument as we are likely to have to come to a decision whether fracking should occur on these sites, for the examination.

1) What are the direct impacts to local residents in the Roseacre wood area, of hydraulic fracturing?

Loss of amenity, dark skies, ability to sleep. Stress, anxiety, loss of future capital, all have a huge impact on everyone except those who have or are due to receive a life changing amount of money. In essence one or two local families gain while the rest loose out. Some mortgage companies won't offer mortgages within a certain radius of a fracking site. Potential for property damage, increased insurance premiums and limited life expectancy. Cuadrilla continue to say this is temporary even if it's for 30+ years. That's my lifetime. When saying temporary they are allowed to use different equipment ( cheaper for them but with a greater impact on residents) . I may to listen to drilling 24/7,365 days a year- not acceptable. Where is the respite?

2) Given our current energy crisis, should people be more optimistic with fracking plans?

No - we are an island with both wave and wind power. Harness that it isn't dirty energy. We could harness the power of a stream , solar power. Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues.

3) Has the proposal of hydraulic fracturing in this area had any direct impact on house prices?

Definitely although the Government and Cuadrilla would have you believe they didn't. The week the announcement was made a local resident accepted an offer 14% less than the asking price- this was the adjacent village. A house in Roseacre reduced theirs by 18%, initially they sold to a farmer in the village . We have been unable to sell our property (500 metres from site) and have a letter from our estate agent advising until the threat has gone away we won't be able to sell. How would you feel if you couldn't move? You wanted to apply for a job in a different part of the country, you wanted to move to be with partner, young children or elderly parents. All those choices have been taken away from you. This will lead to a dying community .

4) As a local resident/ awareness group, do you think Cuadrilla are approaching the situation as ethically as possible? (particularly environmentally)

Not at all, they are paying said experts when cross examined can't answer questions. Previous sites have not been reinstated. They have only reinstated one after LCC said they had no evidence that they could actually do it. For Cuadrilla it's about profit and not people. The standards committee have told them to stop lying and when presented with evidence ( traffic surveys, impact on ability to sell) they continue to say it has no impact. (See 2 above) . they are also proposing at RW to drill for gas in a village that doesn't have gas.

5) What would you say is the main concern of the majority of local residents to do with fracking?

Noise, smell, chemicals, flow back and its effect on our water. Loss of amenity, limited life expectancy. No peace and quiet. Stress . Ability to move, loss of money.

I also found this fracking timeline to show the changes in fracking in the UK over time, which is quite useful

https://paulcairney.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/fracking-uk-timeline.pdf
Reply 33
Thanks so much for sharing that!Have to admit that in relation to "Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues." at point (2), there does seem to be an incredible amount of political motivation for fracking. The Infrastructure Act 2015 was quietly passed last year. This allows fracking on someone's land (and national parks!!) whether the owner consents or not. And the proposed Transatlantic Trade Agreement talks - most of which seem to have been done in secret - are looking like a way of just getting around safety and environmental regulations.
I hate energy it's so boring ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maridonna
Thanks so much for sharing that!Have to admit that in relation to "Strange that the govt have cut the subs isn't it even though we are facing huge climate change issues." at point (2), there does seem to be an incredible amount of political motivation for fracking. The Infrastructure Act 2015 was quietly passed last year. This allows fracking on someone's land (and national parks!!) whether the owner consents or not. And the proposed Transatlantic Trade Agreement talks - most of which seem to have been done in secret - are looking like a way of just getting around safety and environmental regulations.

You're welcome. Although I believe she is correct when she says government subsidies have fallen but that is for renewable energy and not fracking 😂 I know the government (conservatives) are very excited about fracking.
does anyone want to be a legend and for each individual figure post their interpretation of what they think of it.
Reply 37
What individual figures?
Original post by edward090
does anyone want to be a legend and for each individual figure post their interpretation of what they think of it.

you do it you LEGEND
Original post by piersalm
you do it you LEGEND

I dont know all the figures so I cant be a legend but a mere mortal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending