The Student Room Group

Help with AQA as geography - Population

Hi,

I'm a bit confused what part of the spec for this subject means. It says 'The ways natural population change and migration affect the character of rural and urban areas'.

What information do i need for this part? Is it things like ageing population in Devon? If anyone has any links etc. to notes on this bit, that would be great as well :smile:

I hope everyone's revision is going well, and thanks for any replies :P
Reply 1
hi there,
I may not be right but this is what I would do:
natural population change would be talking about an ageing (Devon like u said) and youthful population (Uganda)
as for the way migration can affect characteristics of a country I would use the example of young males from Mexico emigrating to the USA for better jobs, to send remittances home etc..
Way it affects rural areas - there is a lack of men/young to do primary jobs like farming, smaller working age population
urban areas: positive = can create 'hybrid culture' e.g. little Italy in New York, increase diversity, established migrant communities can be welcoming to other migrants, the culture they bring
negative: can be segregated from host society, breeding pot for gangs - crime, political differences
Original post by lucytt
hi there,
I may not be right but this is what I would do:
natural population change would be talking about an ageing (Devon like u said) and youthful population (Uganda)
as for the way migration can affect characteristics of a country I would use the example of young males from Mexico emigrating to the USA for better jobs, to send remittances home etc..
Way it affects rural areas - there is a lack of men/young to do primary jobs like farming, smaller working age population
urban areas: positive = can create 'hybrid culture' e.g. little Italy in New York, increase diversity, established migrant communities can be welcoming to other migrants, the culture they bring
negative: can be segregated from host society, breeding pot for gangs - crime, political differences

Thank you so much, that really helps! :smile:

Also, I have another question about aqa as geography (If you or anyone else can answer it). It says in the spec i need two case studies on managing population change and i have case studies on China's pro-natalist policy, France's anti-natalist policy, Gambia's youthful population and Devon's ageing population. Do I need all of these or can i just revise Gambia and Devon? Or are the policies just in another part of the spec i haven't looked at properly? They all just seem to come under managing population and it says in the spec i need two, so i'm a bit confused at that as well.

Once again, thank you for your reply, i feel more confident about that part of the spec now :smile:
Reply 3
No worries,
What I would do is just learn Gambia and Devon in detail, the specification asks 'attempts to manage population change to achieve sustainable development with reference to two case studies at different stages of development'
Gambia and Devon are the most extreme in terms of stages of development so these two fit the criteria best I would say. We haven't been taught pro-natalist and anti-natalist so not so sure about that one; but I suppose it's always safer to have more examples!!
Good luck, and if I cam help with anything else let me know!

This may help for case studies, at least 20 on the document... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/252380941352?

Original post by lucytt
No worries,
What I would do is just learn Gambia and Devon in detail, the specification asks 'attempts to manage population change to achieve sustainable development with reference to two case studies at different stages of development'
Gambia and Devon are the most extreme in terms of stages of development so these two fit the criteria best I would say. We haven't been taught pro-natalist and anti-natalist so not so sure about that one; but I suppose it's always safer to have more examples!!
Good luck, and if I cam help with anything else let me know!

I have one more question about the spec, at the end of the population part, it says 'The implications of the above for social welfare'. I have been using the Nelson Thomas book which has case studies on the 4 different city areas (Byker Ward, Jesmond Ward etc.). In the book it only has a tiny amount on social welfare though and it doesn't really have much actual information in it. All it really says is what it is and a few very brief examples with no actual info relating to Tyneside. Is this all I need for it, or is there any info i can get elsewhere e.g.any websites or anything. I have the revision guide which has actual information about social welfare relating to the area, but it is about Preston, not Tyneside. Hopefully this is my last question, i'm done with population notes after this, I just need to remember it all :biggrin:

Thank you again, lifesaver haha
Reply 6
I am using the same book with Newcastle as a settlement case study! I have used a mixture of things really. I also used the CGP guide for general points on environment, social and economic impacts and have tried to apply them where I can e.g. In Economic it says 'industrial decline and lack of investment' - which I presume one could apply to Byker and suggest the social housing has meant a badly kept area and poor services hence lack of investment in area = poor social welfare. Social welfare is all about the well-being of communities, access to job opportunities, housing, healthcare, education etc. So you can manipulate the CGP to apply to Newcastle for any of these things. Some other points: Social welfare is not always equally distributed due to being in different parts of a city, different social classes, ages groups etc. we have many examples of social welfare falling apart e.g. poor housing conditions + shortage of healthcare provision lead to 'sink estates'.
no worries!! I hope this helps, haha me too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending