The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm retaking the Education paper does anyone have an idea on what would come up this year? Last year was educational policies
Reply 241
Original post by starshine909
I honestly have no idea on how that question needs to be answered, I'm kinda stressing over it as a girl on student room predicted migration as one of the possible topics that could be coming up....
I basically flopped my AS sociology from 2014 but daftly carried on without resitting them and got good grades for A2 but my AS grades pulled my overall grade down...

Ahh I have a feeling that will come up...gonna check my text book and see

How would you answer the feminism question...if it's an assess or examine. I want to see if I'm on the right lines.
Original post by xxvine
Ahh I have a feeling that will come up...gonna check my text book and see

How would you answer the feminism question...if it's an assess or examine. I want to see if I'm on the right lines.

I think you would just speak about, liberal, marxist, radical and difference feminism...
Anyone doing the 24th May Education AQA exam????
Reply 244
I think you would just speak about, liberal, marxist, radical and difference feminism...

What about evaluation marks
Original post by xxvine
What about evaluation marks

Well with the liberal one u can evalutate it with how other feminists disagree with it cos they say that liberals fail to see the extent that patriachy still exists within society
With the marxist one u can evaluate it by saying how women's opression did not start with capitalism so there's no reason to think it'll end with with it
For the radical one u could mention, hmm...somerville (as a liberal feminist) that there progress is happening for women and those who are hetrosexual cannot be in a same sex relationship so the whole political lesbianism and seperatism idea fails
And with difference u could just say that essentially women share similar experiences based on patriachy that happens in society and it doesn't matter whether you're white, non-white, lesbian, middle class, working class , heterosexual...
Reply 246
Well with the liberal one u can evalutate it with how other feminists disagree with it cos they say that liberals fail to see the extent that patriachy still exists within society
With the marxist one u can evaluate it by saying how women's opression did not start with capitalism so there's no reason to think it'll end with with it
For the radical one u could mention, hmm...somerville (as a liberal feminist) that there progress is happening for women and those who are hetrosexual cannot be in a same sex relationship so the whole political lesbianism and seperatism idea fails
And with difference u could just say that essentially women share similar experiences based on patriachy that happens in society and it doesn't matter whether you're white, non-white, lesbian, middle class, working class , heterosexual...

Wow great....don't you evaluate with other theories though like functionalism and new right?
Guyssss, I'm currently stuck on this Q, how would u answer this? There's just not enough information to answer it in my opinion - (I'm doing the old spec, AS unit 1 family)

Examine the effects of migration on family diversity within the UK (24)

I don't think a question like this would appear on the old spec, i typed in the question on google and all i found were questions similar but on specimen papers for the new spec. However, this could possibly come up as a smaller answer question (4/6 marker).

Effects include:

-An increase in extended families - tradition for ethnic groups to be extended, so moving into the UK increases this
-An increase in traditional values of marriage - ethnic groups hold traditional religious values of marriage, i.e against divorce, nuclear family etc.
-An increase in lone-parent families - families may have fled to UK to escape political/ethnic persecution, husbands usually stay to help
Original post by xxvine
Wow great....don't you evaluate with other theories though like functionalism and new right?

Ohhhh yeah, I forgot about that, yep u also do that....One basically could be the new right perspective, which talks about the biologically based division of labour (similar to functionalism) as a evaluation point for the liberal feminism as liberals argue that society is progressing for women and stuff....whereas the new right basically states that this is biological and natural, so it will always stay like this...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 249
Is anyone retaking family and households? If so any predictions
Original post by Socychoictraphy
I don't think a question like this would appear on the old spec, i typed in the question on google and all i found were questions similar but on specimen papers for the new spec. However, this could possibly come up as a smaller answer question (4/6 marker).

Effects include:

-An increase in extended families - tradition for ethnic groups to be extended, so moving into the UK increases this
-An increase in traditional values of marriage - ethnic groups hold traditional religious values of marriage, i.e against divorce, nuclear family etc.
-An increase in lone-parent families - families may have fled to UK to escape political/ethnic persecution, husbands usually stay to help

Ahhh I see, I hope so, thanks!
Original post by trionah_
do all of the evaluation points have to contradict your original point? im so confused with essays i havent got higher than 13 in the past month😩

AO2 marks do not only come from evaluation, they come from 4 main factors:

Evaluation - A critique of the theory/critique/question, involves identifying the weaknesses and strengths.

Analysis - Comparing and contrasting perspectives and idea. E.g. outlining how a perspective is similar to another perspective but also how they differ

Interpretation - Using the Item, answering the question carefully and precisely without writing meaningless information.

Application - Applying past topics, applying studies to your argument and using examples to illustrate your point.
E.g. using studies to support your claim, or highlighting the effectiveness of something using other topics. For example, when looking at family diversity you can link back to joint vs segregated conjugal roles in the Couples section.
Also just to make sure how would u structure a 2/4/6 marker? Like do u just list the reasons or do u actually write sentences for them?
As well as this, anyone have any tips for when you know the 2 mark but don't actually know how to define it without using the word in the sentence; or if you dont know the definition at all? Its my biggest fear to be honest:sigh:
Reply 254
Also just to make sure how would u structure a 2/4/6 marker? Like do u just listt the reasons or do u actually write sentences for them?

You don't
Bullet points are enough
Reply 255

Effects include:

That's a horrible question right
Two topics in one
What's your prediction?
Original post by xxvine
You don't
Bullet points are enough

Even for the 6 marker?
Reply 257
For social policy on education what would we have to say about the different theories?
Original post by xxvine
That's a horrible question right
Two topics in one
What's your prediction?

An essay answer on Feminism is long overdue (last question in 2011), the past 3 years has seen essays in Functionalism and Marxism, Feminism is a major perspective like these two which is why i think it will appear.

An essay on demography as a whole is possible, in 2014 there was a 24 marker on the effects of ageing population.

A question on the decrease in birth rate, reasons for and its effects has not come up since 2009, so this is the front runner in my eyes.

Apart from all this, the smaller questions are harder to predict, but they are fairly easy anyway. They only ask for a few reasons for a certain trend etc. Just make sure you cover everything (even childhood and social policy which appeared last year as it could appear again in smaller answer questions)
An essay answer on Feminism is long overdue (last question in 2011), the past 3 years has seen essays in Functionalism and Marxism, Feminism is a major perspective like these two which is why i think it will appear.

An essay on demography as a whole is possible, in 2014 there was a 24 marker on the effects of ageing population.

A question on the decrease in birth rate, reasons for and its effects has not come up since 2009, so this is the front runner in my eyes.

Apart from all this, the smaller questions are harder to predict, but they are fairly easy anyway. They only ask for a few reasons for a certain trend etc. Just make sure you cover everything (even childhood and social policy which appeared last year as it could appear again in smaller answer questions)

Is it required to evaluate feminism with other theories such as functionalism, marxism, etc...
If so how can u link it to feminism? Can u explain it please :smile: thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending