The Student Room Group

2016 Edexcel Economics A: Paper 1 Intro To Markets And Market Failure (May 16th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
I thought we were considering its XED.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since when was it XED? I remember it only talking about the Help-to-buy scheme
Original post by Chris141
You were supposed to say the effects of the Help to buy scheme on the market for rented accomodation.

I said deman for rented houses will decrease because now more people are able to BUY houses. Therefore, people renting out their houses may be forced to lower their rents to attract consumers and therefore receive less rent payments or simply choose not to rent their houses.

However, some lower income people may still be unable to afford the mortgage even after the prices are lowered. Therefore, they may still choose to rent. Also, people who come to the uk on work permits may still choose to rent as it is economically not feasible to buy a house for the duration of your work permit. Also, it depends on the magnitude of subsidies to the mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh i did this in the first paragraph stating that demand for renting decreases in short term, then next i talked about demadn for renting increases once the subsidy is no longer in effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah but doesnt XED talk about quantity demanded of one good in relation to price of another? and it that question we were look at demand for both
Original post by Dnkz7
Since when was it XED? I remember it only talking about the Help-to-buy scheme

Effect of the helptobuy scheme on the market for rented property. They are in competitive demand etc.
That kinda thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zahanara
yeah but doesnt XED talk about quantity demanded of one good in relation to price of another? and it that question we were look at demand for both

If demand shifts outwards price increases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Original post by zahanara
that makes so much sense omg i literally forgot everything at that point. You seem like one of those people who came out of the exam still breathing lol. How did you find it?

It was still a **** exam tbh lol
For the price mechanism surely it's just a reference to supply and demand (what the price mechanism actually is) and so you just have to evaluate good and bad of it. Good, for example: efficieny and what consumers wants. Bad: inequality, can cause government intervention and therefore failure??????????
Original post by JMEisjames
Yh i did this in the first paragraph stating that demand for renting decreases in short term, then next i talked about demadn for renting increases once the subsidy is no longer in effect

I did- market will diminish because: price drops- people will choose to use the helptobuy instead
Evaluated with I forgot.. Something.
And I wrote that it would diminish because the extract said people would switch.
I forgot the evaluation here as well.
Am I the only one who thought it was a purely XED question like on the past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 10 marker I said the scheme acts as a subsidy (drew it on the graph) in order to incentivise producers from lowering mortgage prices which increases demand for mortgages within consumers. For the 20 marker I also used the example of a subsidy in order to fix the postivie externality of an under production in housing can produce. That was a real s*** exam. I personally started revising in March confident in all the topics etc. And found that extremely hard due to the vauge wording of the exam! Hopefully macro is in our favour.
what question f again?
Reply 191
Effect of the helptobuy scheme on the market for rented property. They are in competitive demand etc.
That kinda thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah i dont buy that - if that were the case it would be compared with another programme. It only said discuss the effect of the help-to-buy scheme for rented property.
Original post by Middleton1998
For the price mechanism surely it's just a reference to supply and demand (what the price mechanism actually is) and so you just have to evaluate good and bad of it. Good, for example: efficieny and what consumers wants. Bad: inequality, can cause government intervention and therefor failure??????????

I thought we just explained functions and applied to the market. Then evaluated with the extract (low PES- means signalling can't be fulfilled, etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by xJaayyy
For the 10 marker I said the scheme acts as a subsidy (drew it on the graph) in order to incentivise producers from lowering mortgage prices which increases demand for mortgages within consumers. For the 20 marker I also used the example of a subsidy in order to fix the postivie externality of an under production in housing can produce. That was a real s*** exam. I personally started revising in March confident in all the topics etc. And found that extremely hard due to the vauge wording of the exam! Hopefully macro is in our favour.

In the exact position as you bro, macro will be our hero at the end of the day
wasnt the PES negative ?
I actually found the 15 marker the easiest question on the paper. Draw a graph and explain how the different price mechanism tools can manipulate the figure 2(was a big help) price fluctations. Then evaluate with the PED and PES points
Original post by Dnkz7
nah i dont buy that - if that were the case it would be compared with another programme. It only said discuss the effect of the help-to-buy scheme for rented property.

It was compared-
Helptobuy: makes acquiring a house cheaper
Rented property: what people who don't own homes use
It's ok if you don't buy it but I think this makes more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bulletman54
wasnt the PES negative ?

lols this is like when everyone is debating whether is was 3 or 5 and you get 5476578.

if you're talking about the multiple choice, apparently it was +4

but dw i got it wrong too- i put -0.4%
Reply 198
Original post by xJaayyy
I actually found the 15 marker the easiest question on the paper. Draw a graph and explain how the different price mechanism tools can manipulate the figure 2(was a big help) price fluctations. Then evaluate with the PED and PES points

What graph did you draw, all I defined was what the price mechanism was and the three types to allocate resources - signalling, rationality and incentives then I became stumped
I did- market will diminish because: price drops- people will choose to use the helptobuy instead
Evaluated with I forgot.. Something.
And I wrote that it would diminish because the extract said people would switch.
I forgot the evaluation here as well.
Am I the only one who thought it was a purely XED question like on the past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure it was about this as they are substitute goods, i just evaluated talking about consumer preferences brand loyalty to renting rather than buying a house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending