The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

there is a possibility that gender and social class might come out
Original post by starshine909
So sorry lol :biggrin: but how would u plan a domestic violence essay question, what would u include?

Domestic Violence Essay Plan

Start by outlining domestic violence statistics
-British Crime Survey - 1/4 Women assaulted by her partner at some time
-However, statistics are under-estimated due to under-reporting and under-recording:
-Under-reporting: DV is crime least likely to be reported to police. BCS estimates 1/3 of assaults reported. Yearnshire found on average a women suffers 35 assaults before reporting
-Under-recording: Police unwilling to record, they are reluctant to become involved in 'private sphere' of family. Often take the view that women can simply leave the partnership if they are unhappy, this is not always the case (due to financial dependency, kids)

Then move on to a Radical Feminist explanation:
-See DV as the result of patriarchy, the family being a key institution that reproduces and legitimates patriarchal ideology by dividing men and women.
-In the family, men benefit from women's unpaid domestic labour and sexual services, DV (or threat of it) enables men to control women.
-Men also dominate the state - explains why police/courts do not take DV seriously.

Evaluate Radical Fem:
-SUPPORT: Dobash + Dobash - Found violence was triggered when husbands felt their authority was challenged. Conclude that marriage legitimates violence by giving power to men.
-HOWEVER, Radical feminism fails to explain violence perpetuated by women against men, or violence on children and in lesbian partnerships.
-FURTHER SUPPORT: Elliot argues that not all men benefit from DV and that most men are in fact against it. Mirrlees-Black - 1/7 men suffered DV.

Talk about Wilkinson's alternative explanation:
-Argues that it is social inequality in general, not patriarchy that is the cause of DV.
-Women not the only at-risk group; children, poor/low class, alcohol/drug users are all at-risk.
-He argues that these patterns are the result of stress on the family due to social inequality.
-Families lack resources -> stress -> increases risk of violence
-ADVANTAGE: Explanation is useful for explaining class differences in statistics on DV.
-HOWEVER, Wilkinson fails to explain why women rather than men are the main victims.

Write your necessary conclusion (and intro).

This should give you a complete answer :biggrin:
Original post by Socychoictraphy
Domestic Violence Essay Plan

Start by outlining domestic violence statistics
-British Crime Survey - 1/4 Women assaulted by her partner at some time
-However, statistics are under-estimated due to under-reporting and under-recording:
-Under-reporting: DV is crime least likely to be reported to police. BCS estimates 1/3 of assaults reported. Yearnshire found on average a women suffers 35 assaults before reporting
-Under-recording: Police unwilling to record, they are reluctant to become involved in 'private sphere' of family. Often take the view that women can simply leave the partnership if they are unhappy, this is not always the case (due to financial dependency, kids)

Then move on to a Radical Feminist explanation:
-See DV as the result of patriarchy, the family being a key institution that reproduces and legitimates patriarchal ideology by dividing men and women.
-In the family, men benefit from women's unpaid domestic labour and sexual services, DV (or threat of it) enables men to control women.
-Men also dominate the state - explains why police/courts do not take DV seriously.

Evaluate Radical Fem:
-SUPPORT: Dobash + Dobash - Found violence was triggered when husbands felt their authority was challenged. Conclude that marriage legitimates violence by giving power to men.
-HOWEVER, Radical feminism fails to explain violence perpetuated by women against men, or violence on children and in lesbian partnerships.
-FURTHER SUPPORT: Elliot argues that not all men benefit from DV and that most men are in fact against it. Mirrlees-Black - 1/7 men suffered DV.

Talk about Wilkinson's alternative explanation:
-Argues that it is social inequality in general, not patriarchy that is the cause of DV.
-Women not the only at-risk group; children, poor/low class, alcohol/drug users are all at-risk.
-He argues that these patterns are the result of stress on the family due to social inequality.
-Families lack resources -> stress -> increases risk of violence
-ADVANTAGE: Explanation is useful for explaining class differences in statistics on DV.
-HOWEVER, Wilkinson fails to explain why women rather than men are the main victims.

Write your necessary conclusion (and intro).

This should give you a complete answer :biggrin:

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by djdebs101
there is a possibility that gender and social class might come out

Is gender likely to be the big one because im not ready.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mollynoble
I don't know about predictions but I'm praying that class difference in educational achievement is the 20 marker!!!

My teacher predicted is as the top prediction, I hope this comes up too, I know this the best out of all the sub topics!
WHAT TH F IS METHODS IN CONTEXT

Posted from TSR Mobile
MIC has me in a fit - no explanation all year of how to tackle or prepare for this question !!! YIkes
My teacher also predicted that the 10 mark would be on privatisation of the education system, hope this helps some people :smile:
Original post by lahmejacks
Is gender likely to be the big one because im not ready.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher did not predict it would be but you should always be prepared for anything that comes up...
I cant get my head around privitisation 😭
Original post by Rachypoox
MIC has me in a fit - no explanation all year of how to tackle or prepare for this question !!! YIkes

Only learnt it last week!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can u help a sister out??
Original post by Rachypoox
I cant get my head around privitisation 😭

Think about Thatcher and the railway system

On second thoughts don't, ME NEITHER LETS HOLD EACH OTHER AND SOB

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm seriously considering dropping out and becoming a stripper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my god😭😭😭
My teacher said he uploaded an example but cant find it lol, will upload when its on there
Reply 316

Posted from TSR Mobile

In doing the old syllabus but it seems the new one is harder
We don't have anything on thatcher on the old one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh what's the railway system
Original post by starshine909
Thanks! :smile:

Completely forgot to include that you can mention Marxism in this essay somewhere. Explain how Marxists see men's anger towards women (in the form of DV) as beneficial for capitalism as they are taking out their anger that would otherwise be directed at capitalists who exploit them in the workplace.
Original post by Socychoictraphy
Completely forgot to include that you can mention Marxism in this essay somewhere. Explain how Marxists see men's anger towards women (in the form of DV) as beneficial for capitalism as they are taking out their anger that would otherwise be directed at capitalists who exploit them in the workplace.

Ahh yea, thanks again!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending