The Student Room Group

AQA history Tudors

I have my tudors exam tomorrow and I just wanted to know if there were any predictions for what the questions would be. And also if anyone knew any information about religion during the reign of Henry VII. Also if anyone could sum up the key events of what happened in the 1540s before Henry's death it would be appreciated!
During the 1540s, Henry's focus became foriegn policy again (but the sucession was also of his concern).

Why did foriegn policy become important to Henry after 1539?
1. Age: Health was fading and wanted his reign to go out with a bang tbh. He wanted to be remembered by a last heroic victory.
2. He wanted to leave Edward with a strong country, so that no enemies would try to re-assert their claim. He wanted to gain popularity from the people for the Tudor dynasty.
3. Due to his Break with Rome he was not popular in Europe. Charles V and the Spanish were a potential invasion risk. He feared a "Catholic crusade" in the name of the Pope.
4. He had loads of dollar from his dissolution of the monasteries, and the social unrest/opposition had died down after 1536 meaing he could satisfy his glory-hunting personality on a war rampage.

SCOTLAND (utter shambles)
Battle of Solway Moss of 1543 was only a short term sucess, gained consiereable territory. Victoious win (curshing 3000 scots)
But it made scots angry (jepodised marriage of Edward to Mary future Queen of Scots, treaty of greenwich rejected) led to further war (in 1545, England had a devastating loss at the Battle of Ancrum Moor).
War with Scotland cost £2 million, spent all the money from the dissolution, left it to Edward to pick up the pieces.
Henry passed 3 Acts of Succession (1534,36 and 44) and a last Will and Testement in 1546.

Problems?
- All contridicted one another
- Obvious religious problems bound to occur by the fact that his heir was strongly protestant (Catholics not happy, also because they only see children of first marriage as legitimate).
- The legitimacy of the will is questionable. Not approved by parliament, signed using the dry stamp (in possession of John Gates, a progressive) not signiture, stamped when he lost his ability of speech, hidden for four days so could easily have been tampered with, etc.
- No idea why he put Mary as 2nd in line. Catholic so everyone knew she was going to totally reverse all of the reformation, there had never been a precedent female monarch ever and also by the time she gets the throne, she will be beyond child bearing age.

What a twit
Original post by CaptainScrew
I have my tudors exam tomorrow and I just wanted to know if there were any predictions for what the questions would be. And also if anyone knew any information about religion during the reign of Henry VII. Also if anyone could sum up the key events of what happened in the 1540s before Henry's death it would be appreciated!

They are not going to ask you about religion under Henry VII. Henry VIII they are almost bound to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending