The Student Room Group

I really want to learn the piano...where on earth do I start?

Ok, so if this is not the most appropriate website to ask for advice about wanting to learn the piano, apologies. Could I be directed towards a good reliable website where I can create an account and ask such a question?

If this IS a good website to ask my question then awesome! I really want to learn the piano. There are certain songs I want to also learn, but they are really difficult, require using both hands and will probably take lots and lots of practice to master/perfect. I have many questions:

-where do I start? Piano or Keyboard?
-I dont want to spend lots of money tbh. lets say £75-£200 on spending.
-Are there specific books or websites to learn from? I dont want to spend money on a tutor to teach me, I feel being self taught feels better.
-Any more tips are appreciated!
Reply 1
Garage Band on your IPhone
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Ok, so if this is not the most appropriate website to ask for advice about wanting to learn the piano, apologies. Could I be directed towards a good reliable website where I can create an account and ask such a question?

If this IS a good website to ask my question then awesome! I really want to learn the piano. There are certain songs I want to also learn, but they are really difficult, require using both hands and will probably take lots and lots of practice to master/perfect. I have many questions:

-Are there specific books or websites to learn from? I dont want to spend money on a tutor to teach me, I feel being self taught feels better.

Either is fine, the feel of keyboard and piano however is quite different.
Hmmm most likely if this isn't gonna be a long term thing then probably a keyboard which works
michael aaron grade 1 piano, is a good book to start with then progress through the book and you'll be doing 2 hands well in no time(if you're dedicated)
Really this takes a lot of time and practise so be prepared to put the hours in, if not probably not the best idea to pick up piano, but then again you can impress ppl with your amazing skills
Reply 3
Hey!

I've been playing for about four years now, 100% self-taught.

The first piano I bought was about £99 from Casio. It was a 61 key bottom-of-the-range one, because pianos can be expensive and it's a lot of money to spend if you don't end up getting along with it! The most important feature to look for in my opinion is to make sure it has a headphone jack (mine came with headphones and a stand) so you can play without disturbing anyone or feeling self-conscious.

I, like you, was conscious about how much money I would be spending, and although it was a little bit harder to get to grips with, I learnt a lot of stuff from YouTube. Channels like PGNPiano or PianoKeyz use really helpful displays in their videos and I just picked easy versions of songs I liked. Once you learn to read sheet music, YourPianoCover is a really cool YouTuber as well. However, I imagine your life would be a lot easier if you went onto Amazon and searched for some Grade 1 Piano books, as this will explain the theory that a tutor would.

I would start out learning it as a bit of fun - a party trick almost. Ignore sheet music and key signatures and stuff like that until you're comfortable with playing a few songs. When I learn a song, I like to play around with it for a while, try playing some bits faster or slower, changing the 'voice' option and trying to make the song fit into different situations, just anything that will get you more comfortable to playing a piano.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the helpful feedback guys. So I think I will find and buy a cheap keyboard on amazon, or maybe a cheap piano from ebay? Are there any specific ones? Or just a 61 key keyboard with a headphone jack, so I can put my headphones in. Although does "sound" matter? The sound wont ...sound as nice when playing through headphones, compared to a nice sounding piano? But I guess I am a beginner so it wont matter!

Is it useful to read notes or just learn the keys and copy that from youtube videos? I mean, I wont be playing songs from music sheets...just learning keys?

I remember synthesia, used it years ago for a while, really good software to use. The song I really want to play is "The Heart Asks Pleasure (Michael Nyman)". Its such a lovely piece and just seeing the way people plat it with their hands/fingers, it looks amazing!
Hi there!

I've been playing piano for ten years, albeit classically and with a teacher and an acoustic piano, so not really in a similar situation to you. Although my piano was bought at a garage sale for approximately £10 and that somehow tided me over for eight years... No idea if you'd be able to find a piano for a tenner now though!

In terms of where the notes are on the piano, I had this very helpful print out thing than kind of slotted over the keys and said which ones were which, which helped me learn where the keys are. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than that, but look into printing one off or making one yourself. Or just get a whiteboard marker and write on the keys if you get a keyboard.

Anyway, the books I did with my primary school piano teacher were the John W. Schaum course - the books are organised according to colours, the first one being green, the next red, the next blue etc etc. We worked through these books while doing piano exams on the side (I think I started my grade one when I was doing the red book, but I can't remember too well). I only ended up doing up to the blue book in the end but they were very helpful, disguising technical exercises with nice illustrations and the like. Although that being said they were a bit boring. But they did help me learn to read music, which I think is very important.

Alongside that we did ABRSM grades, in primary school that was grades 1-3. Even if you don't do the exams themselves the pieces provide a good challenge, and preparing for the scales and sight reading sections is good practice too.

Then I moved to high school, where my teacher is very much focused on sight reading. Essentially when we're not working towards exams he gives us pieces to look over and play, then practice and improve at home. It's helped my sight reading a lot. These pieces could be anything you want, there's lots of sheet music floating around on the Internet. Just print it off and give it a try.

Good luck with your piano learning :smile:
Original post by Steliata
Hi there!

In terms of where the notes are on the piano, I had this very helpful print out thing than kind of slotted over the keys and said which ones were which, which helped me learn where the keys are. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than that, but look into printing one off or making one yourself. Or just get a whiteboard marker and write on the keys if you get a keyboard.

Oh yes I remember this technique, with writing on the keys. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:

Hi Mumford,

I thought this nice little article written by a tutor on our site might be of interest. It discusses things to consider when choosing a keyboard or digital piano:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-article/classical-piano/what-piano-should-i-buy/8214

Here's another useful article covering costs, keyboards, books and practice:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-article/classical-piano/learning-piano-from-beginners-to-advanced/6670

Good luck!

Hello, how has your piano learning been? I am starting to learn piano but I don't know where to start.
Original post by sweetstars
Hello, how has your piano learning been? I am starting to learn piano but I don't know where to start.

Long shot on this post haha, me too though, but I am a tight student not wanting to spend over £35 really which I am well aware is unrealistic. :frown:
Eric Niceberg online course. It's free.
Reply 11
Piano movers company G&J Moving. If this IS a good website to ask my question then awesome! I really want to learn the piano. There are certain songs I want to also learn, but they are really difficult, require using both hands and will probably take lots and lots of practice to master/perfect. I have many questions:

better try with a multimedia keyboard. The piano is a lot of trouble.. It must be carefully transported, cared for..

Latest