The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

The concept of 'logical necessity' is about analytic definitions? Not about whether God is the only logical explanation for cause/motion/design? Logical necessity it about the analytic definition and proving gods existence through a priori logic. It says on a recent examiners report that it was disappointing to see that people didn't grasp the concept of logical necessity that forms the basis of the ontological argument.
Original post by ECVH
Although, having said that, potentially the cosmological argument could also have been used? (Personally I mentioned both)

t of 'logical necessity' is about analytic definitions? Not about whether God is the only logical explanation for cause/motion/design? Logical necessity it about the analytic definition and proving gods existence through a priori logic. It says on a recent examiners report that it was disappointing to see that people didn't grasp the concept of logical necessity that forms the basis of the ontological argument
predictions?
anyone know where i can find this years mark scheme, could it be out already maybe a unofficial one?
I'm struggling with Natural Moral Law. I've written that Aristotle believed that humans should strive towards Eudaimonia, general happiness and flourishing. I think that is right.

However, I've also put that Aquinas believed humans should develop God's image (Genesis 1:27) by doing good and avoiding evil, leading to the primary precepts. The first part about developing God's image doesn't seem right, because it reminds me of theodicies in philosophy. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else either. Is it completely wrong?
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
I'm struggling with Natural Moral Law. I've written that Aristotle believed that humans should strive towards Eudaimonia, general happiness and flourishing. I think that is right.

However, I've also put that Aquinas believed humans should develop God's image (Genesis 1:27) by doing good and avoiding evil, leading to the primary precepts. The first part about developing God's image doesn't seem right, because it reminds me of theodicies in philosophy. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else either. Is it completely wrong?

I haven't heard of "developing God's image" in Aquinas' natural law theory. He does mention Christian values such as patience etc though. But that's not the same thing.

Aquinas main points involve:

internal/external acts
the 4 types of law
synderesis and phronesis
primary precepts
secondary precepts
Beatific Vision
real and apparent goods
doctrine of double effect
Reply 486
I can help you
Reply 487
Primary Precepts:
Worship God
Ordered Society
Reproduction
Learning
Defending the innocent

Also known as W.O.R.L.D. (World)
Anyone have any revision notes or videos that will help?
Does anyone have any resources for applied ethics? I'm really worried because I have no clue how to write an essay on applying the theories to a topic!!
I have some applied ethics as stuff that was great. I'll be home at 4pm is that alright and I'll send?
Can I have that too??
Has anyone got some good notes on Natural Law?

I don't have very many/they lack detail.
Reply 493
Original post by Vexated
Has anyone got some good notes on Natural Law?

I don't have very many/they lack detail.

These are mine, hopefully they should help :smile:
Original post by ECVH
These are mine, hopefully they should help :smile:

Thank you very much
Anyone found an applied ethics online resource showing how the different ethical theories apply to each of the ethical issues?
Has anyone got any good exemplar applied ethics essays? Struggling on structure :/
Original post by Whitbyyy
Has anyone got any good exemplar applied ethics essays? Struggling on structure :/

Hm. They are relatively straightforward once you get the hang of it.

For example: explain how followers of Natural Law would approach the ethical issue of abortion. (25)

Okay so the intro is going to be outlining the question, defining key terms such as abortion, briefly outlining natural law and its origins (through Aristotle to Cicero then to Aquinas) etc.

Para 1: make a statement about natural law and explain it. For example, talk about the primary precepts and secondary precepts and explain them. Add quotes if you have them. Then insert the ethical issue. "In the case of abortion, natural law would likely regard the act as immoral due to the infringement of the primary precept which regards preservation of life".

Para 2: Then you could go on to say about the doctrine of double effect. Explain what it is, add quotes if you have them and then do the same thing. "In the case of abortion, there may be circumstances when it is acceptable to take place due to the doctrine of double effect......"

Para 3: talk about interior/exterior acts. Add quotes if you have them. Insert the issue "in the case of abortion, natural law would say that the interior and exterior acts both have to be good. This means....."

Para 4: talk about the theory being deontological. But then add that the secondary precepts and allow for more flexibility.. This is where you mention abortion and how it can often be a difficult situation etc....

Conclusion: summarise!

The main point is that you make a point about the theory. Give evidence (bible quotes, philosophers' quotes, things like that - be relevant!), and then apply the issue in that context. Take into account what you have just written about the theory and see it in that light. Link back to the question at the end of each paragraph, for example, "therefore, followers of natural law may approach the issue of abortion by concluding it is morally wrong/right."

The mnemonic is:

P: oint
E: vidence
E: xplain
L: ink back

Hope this helps !!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys, what's your best ways of revising and remembering notes? Struggling to keep anything in. And could there be a application question on everything?
(edited 7 years ago)
Any predictions on what apply questions could come up? I think war and abortion. Any other predictions? I also think explain ethical principles of a religion might come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending