The Student Room Group

What's your GCSE Revision Schedule?

Share your revision schedule in this thread!
Does/Did it work for you? Did you (or do you think you will) manage to stick with it?
I'm in Year 10 and studying for my mocks so I wanted to try and implant a GCSE-style revision schedule.
Original post by Studious.Student
Does/Did it work for you? Did you (or do you think you will) manage to stick with it?
I'm in Year 10 and studying for my mocks so I wanted to try and implant a GCSE-style revision schedule.

My GCSE timetable was:

Study on the bus - to and from school ( didn't get study leave so I could do this all the time).

Get home at 4, watch TV / eat until 7. Do some work until 9-10. On weekends I'd go from 11 to 1, have lunch, start up at 2-3 again, work till 5 and have the rest of the day off. :lazy:
I'm not the best example. I never had one, and still don't have one even though I'm in the middle of my GCSEs. I hardly ever revised and now I'm struggling. Take my advice and start revising as early as possible.
Original post by SeanFM
My GCSE timetable was:

Study on the bus - to and from school ( didn't get study leave so I could do this all the time).

Get home at 4, watch TV / eat until 7. Do some work until 9-10. On weekends I'd go from 11 to 1, have lunch, start up at 2-3 again, work till 5 and have the rest of the day off. :lazy:

That seems like a good timetable and at least there is time to relax (which I need to remember to leave enough time for)
How many weeks/months before GCSEs did you start revising?

P.S. Thanks for replying to the thread. Apparently you're one of the kindest members here :colondollar: :smile:
Mocks are Seen as non important by many but there are very very vital in your gcse as they get you into the college you wish and if you fall sick for one of your exams and desperately unable to attend a exam your mock grade will be inserted.
So revise for them moderately but don't overwork yourself remember that your mocks don't truly reflect your ability because your exams are nearly a year from now.

I'm not the best to advise because I barely did any revision for my mocks and came out with grade that I'm sure didn't resemble my mock.

I would say do about 2-3 hours a night and your well your way to achieving the best you can whilst enjoying yourself also btw make sure you make a planned routine for what you revise and how much content you cover a day , make it reasonable and keep it consistent and then your a gcse master.
That seems like a good timetable and at least there is time to relax (which I need to remember to leave enough time for)
How many weeks/months before GCSEs did you start revising?

P.S. Thanks for replying to the thread. Apparently you're one of the kindest members here :colondollar: :smile:

Indeed, overworking yourself isn't the best idea :colondollar:

Erm.. at the start I didn't do much because there wasn't much to go over (if you really want, you can do like notes for each week as you finish the week), then a month or two before exams I would start reading the books on the bus (this also works on the day of the exam!) and then proper work, a matter of weeks before the exam (just getting through past papers and areas that I know need work).

:colondollar: that is lovely of you to say :hat2:
Reply 6
No schedule whatsoever. I just study when I want to, pretty much why I preformed bad in my Paper 1 exams, but I'm satisfied since I didn't do a mock.
I'm year ten too...
Mine is 24 hours a day of crying....

Trust me. Treasure this time.
My revision started from Oct half term and I made sure all my notes were in order and if I hadn't finished the syllabus yet then as soon as I had my notes were made :colondollar:
I tended to revise after school from around 7-10:30pm (roughly) but I made sure I relaxed after I got back from school (around 5pm)
On the weekends I start work around 9:30/10 till 1 then start again around 2:30 till 6 and then 7pm till 9pm.
A top tip would be to make sure you revise in 30/45 min sessions at the most as it's proven to be the most effective for your brain :redface:
I'm in the middle of my GCSEs and honestly I can't imagine revising any other way - it's definitely hard at first but worth it!

Good luck xx
Original post by SeanFM
My GCSE timetable was:

Sadly this is exactly me right now. Also I love that hamster (is it a hamster? I am not sure).

Lol never had one and I am in the middle of my GCSE'S. But for some people they will work, others they won't. I do still revise but for example I will only do 1/2 subject per day and make sure I cover the WHOLE content.
This is probably just me but by 'finishing revising' one subject it makes me feel much more accomplished!
Best of luck!:smile:
I don't actually have one because I don't stick to it. Like the first few days are all good but then I just can't be bothered to keep up with it. All I can say is have an idea of what you're going to study in a day and when you plan to finish a subject. That's what I've been doing and I've found the exams alright so far. For maths especially, start EARLY! I underestimated the content and was panicking because I hadn't got through half the syllabus. But even though the exam went fine you shouldn't get complacent!
Just do what suits you.
Original post by niv1234
Sadly this is exactly me right now. Also I love that hamster (is it a hamster? I am not sure).

Isn't it a good timetable though? :tongue:

It does look like a hamster :colondollar: not sure what it is though.

Original post by SeanFM
Isn't it a good timetable though? :tongue:

It does look like a hamster :colondollar: not sure what it is though.

Thats soo cute. Yeah my short term memory is much better than my long term memory anyway. (Thats just the excuse I give for being so lazy :s-smilie:)
Original post by niv1234
Thats soo cute. Yeah my short term memory is much better than my long term memory anyway. (Thats just the excuse I give for being so lazy :s-smilie:)

:lol: it's fineee, as long as you are doing just enough work at the right times (I have crammed for uni exams as well, revision on the day has paid off :colondollar:)
I am definitely not the best example, but I thought I'd share anyway.
I started "revision" in February half term which I'd say is the perfect time to start. But this revision wasn't really good and there wasn't even that much of it. So I gave up.
I then tried to pick it back up at Easter which actually kind of worked. I ended up getting 7 hours done some days. However I didn't do much after that and I've now sat 10 exams and crammed the entire spec the night before **DO NOT DO THIS**
My schedule (holidays):
8:30am - wake up
9:00-10:00 - really productive hour of revision
10:00-11:00 - different subject
11:00-11:30 - break
11:30-12:30 - revise again
12:30-13:30 - change subject
13:30-14:30 - lunch break
14:30-15:30 - back to revision
15:30-16:30 - new subject
16:30-21:00 - chilling time
21:00-22:00 - really productive hour of revision
22:00-23:00 - chilling time
23:00 - bedtime

I would recommend discovering what time of day you work best at and for how long - for me this is first thing in the morning and late evenings and in one hour slots. Also don't get cocky!!! Make sure you revise every subject not just the ones you struggle with :smile: and allow yourself plenty of time to chill!

What I also did during Easter was, rather than making a strict timetable, using this format but just filling in the subjects the night before. That way I could prioritise what I needed to work on and also adapt to any last minute disruptions easily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest