The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miajohnsonhall
are people really memorizing entire essays of by heart? ive never been told to do this, its dificult enough memorizing studies and content let alone entire esssays! im learning points for a01, and then some points for a02/3, thats it

im studying bio rhythms, gender and aggression for unit three, depression media and research methods for unit 4 x

I'm not memorising essays and I don't think anyone in my class is either (as far as I know) I'm just more so trying to learn my notes as I find it less daunting.
Reply 1701
I'm so confused.....can someone let me know if their teachers taught them the cultural influence on gender roles the same way as my teacher did?

Basically, my teacher taught us Mead's study of Papua New Guinea in more depth than there is in the textbooks. And she told us to do it as A01, and then use other studies as A02 to support/refute Mead's conclusion of cultural influence.

But, in textbooks, I'm reading these other things about A01 being "cultural similarities: division of labour" and "cultural variation: magnitude of sex differences"......wasn't taught these things in class at all....

So yeah, can someone tell me if they also learned cultural influences on gender the way my teacher taught it?
can someone please grade my AO1 for endogenous pacemakers? I wasnt too sure about it and would appreciate any feedback :smile:
Original post by Im130
I'm so confused.....can someone let me know if their teachers taught them the cultural influence on gender roles the same way as my teacher did?

Basically, my teacher taught us Mead's study of Papua New Guinea in more depth than there is in the textbooks. And she told us to do it as A01, and then use other studies as A02 to support/refute Mead's conclusion of cultural influence.

But, in textbooks, I'm reading these other things about A01 being "cultural similarities: division of labour" and "cultural variation: magnitude of sex differences"......wasn't taught these things in class at all....

So yeah, can someone tell me if they also learned cultural influences on gender the way my teacher taught it?

My teacher taught me to use the classifications of culture as a01 such as Hofstede masculine vs feminine cultures, Individualistic vs collectivist, flexibility of culture etc ...
Reply 1704
Original post by Mesosleepy
My teacher taught me to use the classifications of culture as a01 such as Hofstede masculine vs feminine cultures, Individualistic vs collectivist, flexibility of culture etc ...

whuut??? haven't heard that anywhere at all.....okay since different teachers teach different things, I'll just put faith in what my teacher taught me
Original post by Im130

Can I just ask, what is the overriding *point* of Meads study? Are you saying she shows cultural differences as each culture has developed its own gender roles?
Original post by A-LJLB
Technically they could but it's very unlikely, they've always asked it as one essay so I just do neural and not hormonal

They could do a 4 mark question on one of them though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Still generic dont use bigger words or try and make things sound better, make it relevant its reductionist because it doesnt consider the fact observable behaviour could be imitated and thus a factor leading to group displays of aggresion. Or stress levels and mood affecting a persons likelihood of aggression. GIve real factors and examples and link it.

Lmao remembering those big words is harder than remembering a 3 page essay
Original post by evekay
does this sentence make sense?

A major criticism of the evolutionary explanation is that it is deterministic in attmepting to explain behaviour as directed solely through the biological approach with genes and nature.

I got it from a loopa essay but reading back now i'm confused:s-smilie:

Evolution and biology go hand in hand - biology is shaped through evolution and environmental pressures which force a change in biology.

Attempting to explain behaviour due to evolutionary explanations is deterministic as it assumes we are solely driven by these biological changes (which have occurred to us through evolution) because it ignores our own free will. For example evolution could be argued to shape mate preferences; we as men want fertile looking women with nice wide hips, child-like features, long hair etc as they are all markers for good genetics to mate with (so our choices in women are down to such evolutionary pressures because we want to pass on our genes to bare healthy children) - but the weakness here is we are often attracted to people that dont fit this nor can such evolutionary explanations explain things like homosexuality or lesbien couplings etc.

Just a quick explanation if that makes sense.
Original post by PhoenixBlaze123
Lmao remembering those big words is harder than remembering a 3 page essay

Hahah tbf the small words f me up when it comes to memorizing an essay and end up forgetting what word to use....
Reply 1710
Original post by Bekah22
Can I just ask, what is the overriding *point* of Meads study? Are you saying she shows cultural differences as each culture has developed its own gender roles?

It depends which study you're talking about.

Her 1949 study, I didn't learn it but have seen it briefly. I honestly don't know what it really suggests. The textbook I've got has a model answer for cultural influences and has a paragraph on mead's study but i honestly don't like it (i'll attach a pic of it).
ec9a56daf6b047daaabed86beb24f77a.png

But, the Mead study i was taught.....that one extremely suggests there is cultural influence in gender roles. it shows that three different societies within Papua New Guinea had different gender roles, suggesting cultural influence. And then it's furthered, since it also shows that all three of these societies had different gender roles than what is seen in western cultures--thus cultural influence on gender roles.
Original post by Mephestic
Evolution and biology go hand in hand - biology is shaped through evolution and environmental pressures which force a change in biology.

Attempting to explain behaviour due to evolutionary explanations is deterministic as it assumes we are solely driven by these biological changes (which have occurred to us through evolution) because it ignores our own free will. For example evolution could be argued to shape mate preferences; we as men want fertile looking women with nice wide hips, child-like features, long hair etc as they are all markers for good genetics to mate with (so our choices in women are down to such evolutionary pressures because we want to pass on our genes to bare healthy children) - but the weakness here is we are often attracted to people that dont fit this nor can such evolutionary explanations explain things like homosexuality or lesbien couplings etc.

thanks so much! was v helpful:smile:
I have a question concerning Schizophrenia (or Depression) in PSYA4. If a question on therapies comes up, can we use the advantage of one type of therapy to evaluate the other? E.g; can we say an disadvantage of biological therapies, for eg, to evaluate and say as a positive for psychological therapies?

One of my teachers says that the mark schemes are very picky about that, however my laptop won't load any AQA mark schemes and so I can't check myself.

Any help would be really appreciated 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marioandluigi
I have a question concerning Schizophrenia (or Depression) in PSYA4. If a question on therapies comes up, can we use the advantage of one type of therapy to evaluate the other? E.g; can we say an disadvantage of biological therapies, for eg, to evaluate and say as a positive for psychological therapies?

One of my teachers says that the mark schemes are very picky about that, however my laptop won't load any AQA mark schemes and so I can't check myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do OCD, I think as long as you have evidence to back it up and good reasoning, yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evekay
thanks so much! was v helpful:smile:

Yeah, but I think that sentence may complicate it a bit, just stick to evolution, I would suggest. Anything that makes you say 'does this make sense' will probably not appeal to an examiner at 10 pm after marking 25 different papers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1715
Original post by Mephestic

Hey,for cultural influence on gender roles, do you reckon they will ask "discuss cultural influence on gender role?" Or are they more likely to ask "discuss cross-cultural studies of gender role"?

And if it's the first one, then can we still just use studies such as by mead as all of A01?
Original post by Im130
Hey,for cultural influence on gender roles, do you reckon they will ask "discuss cultural influence on gender role?" Or are they more likely to ask "discuss cross-cultural studies of gender role"?

And if it's the first one, then can we still just use studies such as by mead as all of A01?

They won't ask the second one for studies as it isn't on this spec, it was on the old one
Reply 1717
Original post by A-LJLB
They won't ask the second one for studies as it isn't on this spec, it was on the old one

goddayum.....but will using studies to outline cultural influences be enough to get the A01 marks?

The stuff in my textbook say A01 includes saying that there ISN'T cultural influence with stuff like "universality of division of labour".....even though I do see how it still is a description of the level of cultural influence, i still would feel more comfortable by outlining Mead's study and her conclusion of cultural influence
Original post by marioandluigi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you could- for example you can say this therapy may not be effective/ appropriate because of X so an alternative treatment that may be more useful is X. It's good to do that because you get an argument throughout the essay as you're criticising it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toetothunder
can someone please grade my AO1 for endogenous pacemakers? I wasnt too sure about it and would appreciate any feedback :smile:

I would probably give it 5 or 6 good detail about the SCN, but I would probably include stuff about hormones in the menstrual cycle as well, so there is more breadth to the essay.

Latest

Trending

Trending