The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banana208
Thank you both :smile:
You are most welcome! :smile:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Yes, thanks guys. I just faltered a bit. I agree, shouldn't dwell on the five marker too much. :afraid: I spent far too long on them last year.
No worries.- Good luck! :smile:
Reply 402
For and against digital democracy may come up
Have you revised that?
Reply 403
Can somebody give me 3 in depth arguments for and against proportional representation?
Examples would be great!
Original post by LennyBicknel
Have abandoned Thatcherism:
> Increased funding for the NHS (Thatcher sought for an increasingly independent NHS)
> Less Thatcher-esque approach to social issues (e.g. gay marriage; rehabilitation instead of punishment in prisons).

Have not abandoned Thatcherism:
> Increased privatisation (in areas of the NHS and certain sectors e.g. Royal Mail)
> Spending cuts instead of tax rises (Thatcher believed tax increases harmed hard-working individuals).
> Reduction in the welfare state (Thatcher believed it created a nation of dependence; limited individualism)
> More authoritarian approach to terrorism (Snoopers Charter)

Thanks! Although wasn't Blair the first PM to introduce privatisation in to NHS? what do you mean by independence :tongue:
Original post by ACTT
Can somebody give me 3 in depth arguments for and against proportional representation?
Examples would be great!

For:
More proportionate- directly proportionate seats to votes, less wasted votes, minorities better represented, less discrimination for smaller parties eg Green Party and ukip would do much better under pr

Against:
Usually produces coalitions - less stable government
Let's extremist parties get more votes and representation
Some of the systems are more confusing like stv or ams
Sometimes it takes longer to get a result than the typical fptp system

There's probably more but I don't have my notes on me at the moment
Examples could just be all the different electoral systems and about them and their outcomes

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xxvine
For and against digital democracy may come up
Have you revised that?

Kind of? Could It include stuff like e-petitions, social media and the way it can encourage education about politics and give people an easier way to get involved that they feel comfortable with...against digital democracy could it be stuff like online voting might not be secure like hacking and stuff or some older people might not understand the Internet and so it alienates them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 407
Original post by mollyadtr
For:
More proportionate- directly proportionate seats to votes, less wasted votes, minorities better represented, less discrimination for smaller parties eg Green Party and ukip would do much better under pr

Against:
Usually produces coalitions - less stable government
Let's extremist parties get more votes and representation
Some of the systems are more confusing like stv or ams
Sometimes it takes longer to get a vote than the typical fptp system

There's probably more but I don't have my notes on me at the moment
Examples could just be all the different electoral systems and about them and their outcomes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
Kind of? Could It include stuff like e-petitions, social media and the way it can encourage education about politics and give people an easier way to get involved that they feel comfortable with...against digital democracy could it be stuff like online voting might not be secure like hacking and stuff or some older people might not understand the Internet and so it alienates them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree, for social media could say it enables debating and reading the news too. For against could say that online voting could be leaked which undermines secret ballot act, or another layer = less transparency = more disillusion people?

Hi, I was just wondering if u could give me some points to use for the 25 marker on elections. About PR.
Reply 410
Didn't realise this thread existed so here are my predictions I posted in the other politics thread if anyone hasn't already seen them ☺️
in case you cant see the attached photos:
democracy: are referndums good for democracy? - unsure
elections: what would be the impact of using pr for general elections
pressure groups: what has been the impact of social media on pressure groups
political parties: to what extent has corbyn rejected the principles of new labour
constitution: do the strengths outweigh the weaknesses of the british constitution
pm and cabinet: why are some pms more powerful than others
parliament: to what extent does parliament fulfil its functions - unsure
judges and civil liberties: are civil liberties effectively protected in the uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

HEY! You're definitely on course for an A!
How did you get these predictions, and how certain are you that they will come up?
any other area within democracy and pgs, i should revise?

Thank you!
Original post by i22
How did you get these predictions, and how certain are you that they will come up?

Thank you!

How important/powerful are pgs
Original post by alevelpain
Thanks! Although wasn't Blair the first PM to introduce privatisation in to NHS? what do you mean by independence :tongue:

It might be true that Blair began privatisation, but the fact that the Conservatives continued it (especially under the Coalition) means it can be related to the question :P

By 'independence' I'm referring to how Thatcher allowed hospitals to become self-governing trusts, which had control of their own budget and were encouraged to compete with each other, alongside how GPs could control their practice's budget. So in a way I guess you could say this was the 'true start' of privatisation in the NHS..
Original post by LennyBicknel
It might be true that Blair began privatisation, but the fact that the Conservatives continued it (especially under the Coalition) means it can be related to the question :P

By 'independence' I'm referring to how Thatcher allowed hospitals to become self-governing trusts, which had control of their own budget and were encouraged to compete with each other, alongside how GPs could control their practice's budget. So in a way I guess you could say this was the 'true start' of privatisation in the NHS..

Thanks for the help :biggrin: also you could talk about EU about in keeping with Thatcherism..she did the United States of Europe speech and this Eurosceptic attitude has obviously continued :tongue:
Original post by alevelpain
Thanks for the help :biggrin: also you could talk about EU about in keeping with Thatcherism..she did the United States of Europe speech and this Eurosceptic attitude has obviously continued :tongue:

That's true. Even though she supported joining the EEC initially (believed it was essential in creating a free market in Europe), she later regretted it, as she later saw it as a path towards closer economic and political union with Europe. It was Europe, in fact, which brought down Thatcher.. perhaps this will happen with the current Conservative government..

So yeah, Eurosceptism is definitely a continuation of Thatcherism :P
Reply 415
Is anyone just studying two topics? I was thinking of doing democracy/participation and pressure groups

What is everyone else doing for unit 1?
Reply 416
Original post by Sapz_9
Is anyone just studying two topics? I was thinking of doing democracy/participation and pressure groups

What is everyone else doing for unit 1?

Yeah im doing just the 2: democracy and pgs.
Reply 417
Gurkha Justice Campaign;
Celeb influence (Joanna Lumley) and it was successful
Reply 418
They might ask to what extent has Labour since 2010, moved away from 'New Labour'
Original post by i22

Thank you!

oh no it wasnt me!:biggrin: my teacher made them up, im not 100% certain, but i think the pressure group question might come up as it is in the powerpoint for the revision session edexcel hold in london in 2014 and it didnt come up last year so i have a feeling it might come up this year...
theres no other specific area with democracy personally i think, but pressure group failure could be an area

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending