The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjbloomy
Ahaha so instead of actually revising I've been procrastinating by predicting what may come up. Say if any of you agree with them.(I'm not revising elections so haven't included that). These are my predictions for the 25 markers

Pressure Groups
- Their importance/how powerful they are
- Pressure groups and political participation

Democracy
- Direct democracy (with the focus on referendums)
- Political Participation

Political Parties
- Labour Party and tradition
- Conservative Party and tradition (One Nation/Thactherism)
- Coalition government and how faithful the parties remained to their ideologies

agree with pressure groups ones! they always seem to be on
1. Effect on democracy / how good are they for democracy
2. Elitist vs. Pluralist
3. Importance of pressure groups - is pressure group power in decline etc.
Does anyone think that it would be a good shout to answer the 25 markers first? Like to get it out of the way
Original post by chloelong
agree with pressure groups ones! they always seem to be on
1. Effect on democracy / how good are they for democracy
2. Elitist vs. Pluralist
3. Importance of pressure groups - is pressure group power in decline etc.

Yeah exactly! And because it was pluralism last year and democracy the year before that what hasn't come up recently is importance or participation. Participation has not come up since January 2010 so could definitely be a topic to look at.
Guys - has anyone put together any 25 marker plans for elections?
Original post by Louise12307
Does anyone think that it would be a good shout to answer the 25 markers first? Like to get it out of the way

That's what I am considering doing. They are the most marks and if you can bang out a really good essay without the panicking then you can guarantee 40-50 marks already.
Would anyone like to mark the practice paper for unit 1 I just done and give me some critical feedback? It would help alot :smile:
Yeah exactly! And because it was pluralism last year and democracy the year before that what hasn't come up recently is importance or participation. Participation has not come up since January 2010 so could definitely be a topic to look at.

Definitely, maybe even something like - to what extent to pressure groups carry out their functions - ei. looking at participative, educative, accountability
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
Would anyone like to mark the practice paper for unit 1 I just done and give me some critical feedback? It would help alot :smile:

Which topics have you done? I'd be happy to look at pressure groups or elections papers for you and try and help
Original post by chocolate_cat_99

It might help me too so I don't mind giving it a go! Got a link? I'm doing pressure groups, parties and democracy and participation
Which topics have you done? I'd be happy to look at pressure groups or elections papers for you and try and help

Yes! They are the topics I am doing. Gimme a minute while I sacn the pages in :smile:
That's what I am considering doing. They are the most marks and if you can bang out a really good essay without the panicking then you can guarantee 40-50 marks already.

Yeah I mean, if I was going to run out of time, I would rather run out of time on a 5 marker than a 25 marker you know? Because if you don't have an intro and conclusion then you won't be put in level 3.
Ahaha so instead of actually revising I've been procrastinating by predicting what may come up. Say if any of you agree with them.(I'm not revising elections so haven't included that). These are my predictions for the 25 markers

Pressure Groups
- Their importance/how powerful they are
- Pressure groups and political participation

Democracy
- Direct democracy (with the focus on referendums)
- Political Participation

Political Parties
- Labour Party and tradition
- Conservative Party and tradition (One Nation/Thactherism)
- Coalition government and how faithful the parties remained to their ideologies

Those are the exact predictions I have too 😂 for Elections I think PR or different outcomes
Original post by alevelpain
Those are the exact predictions I have too 😂 for Elections I think PR or different outcomes

If they are right I honestly might cry. Pressure groups and democracy would be such nice questions and honestly would not go near Political Parties
Also, can someone list some past paper questions for me please ? Pearson Edexcel. The Pearson website is being evil !!
Guys - has anyone put together any 25 marker plans for elections?

I've only done one for the different outcomes of the electoral systems, I might go on to do an essay plan on 'what would be the outcome of using pr for general elections' or something like thst

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whenever i see a question when revising i feel like i cant answer it but in an exam i just write whatever i think. More so with me obssessing with a perfect answer rather than a good one
Also, can someone list some past paper questions for me please ? Pearson Edexcel. The Pearson website is being evil !!

I have pressure groups and elections here you go - sorry the years arent there but they are pretty easy to find

Pressure Groups -
(a) Using examples, distinguish between promotionaland sectional pressure groups.

(a) Outline two differences between pressure groupsand political parties.

(a) How do pressure groups promote functionalrepresentation?

(a) What is the link between pluralism and pressuregroups?

(a) Describe two ways in which pressure groupspromote political participation.

(a) What is the link between elitism and pressuregroups?

(a) What is pluralist democracy?

(a) Outline two difference between promotional andsectional pressure groups.

(b) How and why do pressure groups seek to influencepublic opinion.

(b) How and why do some pressure groups use directaction?

(b) Explain three factors which may restrict theinfluence of a pressure group.

(b) Explain why different pressure groups usedifferent methods to achieve their aims.

(b) Explain three reasons why pressure group activitymay undermine democracy.

(b) Explain three ways in which pressure groups exertinfluence.

(b) Using examples, explain three reasons whypressure groups may fail to achieve their objectives.

(b) Using examples, explain three methods used bypressure groups to achieve their aims.

(c ) Is pressuregroup politics in the UK better described as pluralist or elitist?

(c) To what extent are the largest pressure groupsthe most successful ones?

(c) Are pressure groups becoming more powerful, orless powerful?

(c) To what extent do pressure groups strengthenpluralist democracy?

(c) To what extent is the success of pressure groupsa reflection of their level of public support?

(c) To what extent is pressure group power indecline?

(c) To what extent do pressure groups underminedemocracy?

(c ) Do pressure groups distribute or concentratepower? Elections -
(a) Outline the workings of the regional party listsystem.
(a) Describe three different elections regularly heldin the UK.

(a) Distinguish between a mandate and a manifesto.

(a) Outline two functions of elections.

(a) How do elections promote democracy?

(a) Outline the workings of the Party List electoralsystem.

(a) Outline the workings of the single transferablevote electoral system.

(a) Outline two functions of elections.

(a) What ismeant by the term party system?. (5)

(b) Explain three disadvantaged of proportionalrepresentation.

(b) Using examples, distinguish between a two-partysystem and a multi-party system.

(b) Explain the workings of three electoral systemsused in the UK.

(b) Explain three advantages of the 'first past the post' electoral system.

(b) Distinguish between majoritarian representationand proportional representation.

(b) Explain three criticisms of the 'first past thepost' electoral system.

(b) Explain three strengths of the 'first past thepost' electoral system.

(b) Explain how and why representation may beaffected by any three different electoral systems.

(b) Explain the workings of three electoral systemsused in the UK.

(b) Explain how and whyparty representation may be affected by any three different electoral systems. (10)

(c) Make out a case in favour of electoral reform forWestminster elections.

(c) Assess the advantages of using proportionalrepresentation electoral systems.

(c) Should the Westminster electoral system bereformed .

(c) Make out a case in favour of the introduction ofproportional representation for Westminster elections.

(c) How far does the Westminster electoral systemensure strong and stable government?

(c) Make out a case in favour of retaining the 'firstpast the post' electoral system for the House of Commons.

(c) Should 'first past the post' continue to be usedfor elections to the House of Commons?

(c) To what extent do the different electoral systemsused in the UK produce different outcomes?

(c) Assess the advantages of the various electoralsystems used in the UK.

(c) Assess the advantages of using proportional representation electoralsystems. (25)
Just a quick question does anyone know if we need to learn the av system? I completely forgot about it and I've only learnt about fptp, sv, stv, party list system and ams...should I go over it briefly in case they ask a 5 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
like right now the how powerful are PG or the different outcome questions i feel like i couldnt answer because i just want to look at a mark scheme to make it perfect

Elections
Ÿ Should proportional representation be introducedfor elections to the House of Commons?Ÿ
Make out a case in favour of the introduction ofproportional representation for Westminster elections.Ÿ
How far does the Westminster electoral systemensure strong and stable government?Ÿ
Should the Westminster electoral system bereformed?Ÿ
To what extent do the different electoralsystems in the UK produce different outcomes? Ÿ
Make out a case in favour of retaining the‘first past the post’ electoral system for the House of Commons.Ÿ
Assess the advantages of using proportional representation electoral systemsŸ
Should ‘first past the post’ continue to be usedfor elections to the House of Commons?Ÿ
Make a case in favour of electoral reform forWestminster elections.
Democracy
Ÿ Evaluate the effectiveness of the various waysin which participation and democracy could be strengthened in the UK.Ÿ
Assess the arguments in favour of the greateruse of direct democracy in the UK.Ÿ
How democratic is the UK?Ÿ To what extent would the wider use ofreferendums improve democracy in the UK?Ÿ
To what extent does democracy in the UK sufferfrom a ‘participation crisis’?Ÿ
Should referendums be more widely used in theUK?Ÿ
How effectively does representative democracyoperate in the UK?Ÿ Should direct democracy be more widely used inthe UK?
Ÿ Assess the strengths of representative democracyas it operates in the UK.Ÿ
Assess the various measures, other thanelectoral reform, that have been suggested to improve democracy in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending