The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
I don't know what thread it was on but there was a question about ways that political participation in the uk has declined and I did it in class and my teacher marked it and gave me some extra points so I've attached it for you to show where I could've got more marks and so you won't make the same mistakes as me!!

I didn't agree with him about mentioning the ways participation hasn't declined but you tell me if you think it's suitable to do?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465152590.124440.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree with you :tongue: it's a really tough question :/ maybe chequebook membership of pressure groups shows it isn't going up?
Reply 881
(10) Explain 3 characteristics which establish the UK's claim to democratic status

(25) How and why should democracy be enhanced in the UK?

Have a go at these pulled from the textbook, never come up before
Reply 882
Original post by Pato1
(10) Explain 3 characteristics which establish the UK's claim to democratic status

There horrible

For the last one do you mention how and then why?
There's not for or against right?
Reply 883
Yes no against
Original post by Pato1

Hey, I did a 25 mark question very similar to this today, just wondering if the question was worded like this would you outline the issues with democracy in the UK and then methods of improving each one?

Because I essentially wrote points on their being an unelected monarchy and House of Lords, which could be improved by having similar institutions that are democratically elected, the electoral system being flawed and undemocratic so proportional representation may be enhance democracy and there being no codified constitution so having a codified one could enhance democracy as it limits and balances government to a more effective degree. I then did a small paragraph on how decentralising government power and holding more referendums would enhance democracy too, but I don't know if this is the best way to go about it really.
Reply 885
Original post by Pato1

For the 10 marker would you talk about elections, referendums or am I on the wrong path
Reply 886
You would still just write reasons for and against enhancing democracy in the 25 mark question. right?

1) Reforming the Westminster electoral system to a system other than FPTP.

2) Reforming the House of Lords to make it an elected second chamber.

3) Extending devolution to England (West Lothian Question; establishing an English Parliament) and giving more powers to the Welsh and Northern Irish Assemblies to the same level as Scotland.

4) Lowering the voting age to 16.

5) Introducing compulsory voting. (Similar to Australia; turnout never below 90%)

6) Increased use of referendums. (Like the Scottish Referendum [2014] and the upcoming EU Referendum [2016])

Would those be good points to talk about, do you think?

Edit: Oh I noticed above that @Revision made a good point about introducing a codified constitution. Forgot about that one :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UKStudent17

3) Extending devolution to England (West Lothian Question; establishing an English Parliament) and giving more powers to the Welsh and Northern Irish Assemblies to the same level as Scotland.

5) Introducing compulsory voting. (Similar to Australia; turnout never below 90%)

6) Increased use of referendums. (Like the Scottish Referendum [2014] and the upcoming EU Referendum [2016])

Edit: Oh I noticed above that @Revision made a good point about introducing a codified constitution. Forgot about that one :smile:

Good points, only 25 minutes, I'd cut the third one but if you have enough time go for it
Reply 889
Here's the answers:

10 marker:

- we hold regular elections to secure representatives and office holders. + talk about how are elections are democratic with a non bias media and all elections have extreme scrutiny (tory election fraud investigations)

- We have several referendums, aka direct democracy in place, shows how people are educated and get into politics.

- We uphold features of a liberal democracy such as ability to join PG's, any political party, freedom of association.
Reply 890
Any predictions for tomorrow's exam
Original post by alevelpain
Good points, only 25 minutes, I'd cut the third one but if you have enough time go for it

Brilliant :smile: Thank you!

Now I'm hoping that a question like that comes up. Fingers crossed that I don't forget any of it :u:

Good, but where is the other side of the argument? I don't think you'll be able to evaluate 6 paragraphs - they generally ask about improving democracy with 'assess', so balance is essential.

what I would do is pick 4 if you have enough examples or 5 if not and evaluate each point at the end.
Reply 893
for elections, is there a difference between plurality and majoritarian voting systems? examples please
Reply 894
What would you write when it comes to free media
"Consider the extent to which the use of televised debates at the 2010 GE enhanced political participation''

Some of these questions are ridiculous, I cant think of one way in which it enhanced participation..
Original post by popcornjpg
Good, but where is the other side of the argument? I don't think you'll be able to evaluate 6 paragraphs - they generally ask about improving democracy with 'assess', so balance is essential.

what I would do is pick 4 if you have enough examples or 5 if not and evaluate each point at the end.

You're right. I only read exactly from the question put forward, but it would most likely come under 'assess' or some other one that would imply giving both sides.

That's a good way to do it actually, mixing ways to increase participation and actual ways to reform the system is probably the way to go I think on that one.
Can somebody please help me understand the difference between SV and AV electoral systems? This is making me feel very stupid, they just seem to be the same, apart from SV is used to elect the London mayor and AV isn't used for anything
Reply 899
Does anyone have a plan they could share for What would the impact of PR be on general elections? thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending