The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ezaraf
HEY guys, is it necessary to get studies from different sources, i.e. the internet or more than 1 textbook? and also what the average number of case studies you would need to know for each topic?

Nah, they don't know where you got the studies from so it doesn't matter as long as the ones you have are in depth enough to write good PEEL paragraphs for.

I was wondering that myself, I think it might depend on the topic but I think 3 really in depth ones and 2/3 good IDAs are a good baseline to be around?
Original post by wickedisgood
Nah, they don't know where you got the studies from so it doesn't matter as long as the ones you have are in depth enough to write good PEEL paragraphs for.

I was wondering that myself, I think it might depend on the topic but I think 3 really in depth ones and 2/3 good IDAs are a good baseline to be around?

sounds good, thanks for the quick reply btw :smile: um also i havent done PEEL since gcse english, should probably look at that again
Reply 2662
Original post by wickedisgood
What are his predictions for the first two?

I'm feeling like there will be biological/evolutionary for aggression, and breakdown maybe for relationships considering everyone is dreaming about it lol.

For aggression - NEural/Hormonal. Group Display. Infidelity/jelousy. Genetics.
Relationships- Breakdown. Sexual selection/reproductive behaviour. Formation. Culture. Maintenance.
Original post by mrgan
Is it worth preparing a 24 mark essay for ultradian rhythms? Please help!

Probably not, as both ultradian and infradian don't have enough theory to be essays on their own, most likely a question would come up asking to outline and evaluate both, or just circadian rhythms on it's own, which has enough theory for 1 essay on it's own.
Hey guys im getting cofused between inter and intra sexual selection. I know that intra sexual is(mainly) men competing for women- and the best trait passes on. and that intersexual selection is more to do with women selecting the best indicators for reproductive success. but arent both forms of selection there 2 increase repro success? e.g in the study of singh et al,beauty winner thing they found the constistent feature of small waist and big hips- how does this support intra sexual selection and not intersexual?- because arent big hips to do with reproductive sucess, therefor intersexual?
thx
Reply 2665
Original post by artymaniac
Hey guys im getting cofused between inter and intra sexual selection. I know that intra sexual is(mainly) men competing for women- and the best trait passes on. and that intersexual selection is more to do with women selecting the best indicators for reproductive success. but arent both forms of selection there 2 increase repro success? e.g in the study of singh et al,beauty winner thing they found the constistent feature of small waist and big hips- how does this support intra sexual selection and not intersexual?- because arent big hips to do with reproductive sucess, therefor intersexual?
thx

Yeah but the women with bigger hips compete with women without bigger hips for access to the men therefore increasing reproductive success as it is a sign of fertility and what men want???
Reply 2666
Original post by PhoenixBlaze123
yeah I really want to focus on doing past papers for M1, but I haven't even gone through eating behaviour yet for psya3. Should have started psychology revision early. ;O

Me too. I really want to do M1 papers because I need to practice as much as possible but I still have so much for psychology to do. I have no idea what to prioritise right now, I've left everything so last minute :frown:
thx

They do both increase reproductive success but intrasexual is more to do with a singular species competing with members of the same species to gain access to a mate whereas intersexual is selection of certain characteristics of the opposing gender. So Singh et al. supports intersexual because the males are opting to choose a female with the ideal characteristic, in this case the waist to hip ratio, rather than competing to show off this characteristic...although I guess it could be argued to support intrasexual as well.
So both inter and intra have the goal of increasing repro success?In terms of this study would u then say that it was obvious men wanted bigger hips, as fertility is a sign of repro success therefore this trait passed down?

when doing A02 can we just mention sexual selection rather thann referring specifically to inta/inter - when all in all sexual selection is about the best traits lead to repro sucess?
Thanks for replying btw
Original post by vall29
Yeah but the women with bigger hips compete with women without bigger hips for access to the men therefore increasing reproductive success as it is a sign of fertility and what men want???
Original post by kpd_98
They do both increase reproductive success but intrasexual is more to do with a singular species competing with members of the same species to gain access to a mate whereas intersexual is selection of certain characteristics of the opposing gender. So Singh et al. supports intersexual because the males are opting to choose a female with the ideal characteristic, in this case the waist to hip ratio, rather than competing to show off this characteristic...although I guess it could be argued to support intrasexual as well.

so can i just say it supports sexual selection theory? rather than specifics (inter/inta)
so can i just say it supports sexual selection theory? rather than specifics (inter/inta)

Yup!!
cool, yeah il just mention the intra/ inter in the ao1 then and for a02 just say sexual selection theory... cos i guess they are similar concepts ie looking for traits that increase repro sucess, this evolves and passes down etc.
thanks for ya help and good luck :smile:
Original post by kpd_98
Yup!!
cool, yeah il just mention the intra/ inter in the ao1 then and for a02 just say sexual selection theory... cos i guess they are similar concepts ie looking for traits that increase repro sucess, this evolves and passes down etc.
thanks for ya help and good luck :smile:

No worries for the help! Thanks, I think I'll need it...so many essays to learn. :/
ikr! im just praying the predictions are right!
Original post by kpd_98
No worries for the help! Thanks, I think I'll need it...so many essays to learn. :/
Original post by кяя
Our teacher gave out whole booklets on each topic with so much research and info. Love her

Thank you so much!!:h:
ikr! im just praying the predictions are right!

You don't do depression and addiction for PSYA4 by any chance?! I need some sample essays but can't seem to find any...
Original post by yung7up
Dont ask lmao

I dreamt about the Loopa guy lmao so you're not alone :laugh:
Is there a difference between nature of sleep n lifespan and nature of sleep essays?
Also what do points would u make for a 24 marks essay in roles of endogenous pacemakers n exogenous zeitgabers?
Plz help 😁😁😁
I do do addiction, sorry havent made essays yet- leaving it til after psya3! Have you tried loopa?
Original post by kpd_98
You don't do depression and addiction for PSYA4 by any chance?! I need some sample essays but can't seem to find any...
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only one not learning 2-3 essays per topic and is still behind? I have 6 more to learn and that's after ignoring another 7 lol... Just gonna have to learn them all tommorow or I'm dead!
For gender I'm not learning social influences and schema,
Eating I'm not learning evolutionary explanation, dieting, and psychological explanations to anorexia
For aggression in not learning social learning theory, deindividuation, and institutional aggression!
Anyone else because I'm so scared now as I need the A* In psychology for uni and I doubt I'll get that if a question I haven't learnt comes up!
I know for last year the loopa predictions were acurate for my topics but does anyone else know about the past years and their accuracy?

Latest

Trending

Trending