The Student Room Group

M1 very key points, post yours as well.

M1 Edexcel
I always make a section with some very key points about the exam. Here are my key points. If you have yours, please post here.

pdf: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0j1er5vr32felpf/Key+Notes.pdf
Reply 1
These are nice, good job

The force on a pulley on an inclined slope can also be summarised by the equationCodeCogsEqn.gif

The force on the pulley on a horizontal place can be summarised by
Attachment not found
When the particle on the inclined plane is connected to a string on a pulley and the string breaks but doesn't reach the pulley, and when the question asked is to find the extra little bit of time it takes to come to instantaneous rest

you use suvat to calculate final velocity with acceleration normally, then recalculate acceleration when string breaks, then use the final velocity from your previous answer as your initial velocity and use v=0 and the find the time
Reply 3
Original post by Big white
When the particle on the inclined plane is connected to a string on a pulley and the string breaks but doesn't reach the pulley, and when the question asked is to find the extra little bit of time it takes to come to instantaneous rest

you use suvat to calculate final velocity with acceleration normally, then recalculate acceleration when string breaks, then use the final velocity from your previous answer as your initial velocity and use v=0 and the find the time

wow, I just did this question, that's weird that you posted at the same time lol. From 2011 june paper right?
Original post by Reda2
wow, I just did this question, that's weird that you posted at the same time lol. From 2011 june paper right?

really? oh that's good timing ^-^ most people don't really know how to do those bits at the end though :smile:
Have a go at the January 2009 paper, it has the lowest grade boundaries out of all M1 papers. (49 for an A).
Reply 6
Original post by NickLCFC
Have a go at the January 2009 paper, it has the lowest grade boundaries out of all M1 papers. (49 for an A).

Nice, good point.
Those are a great set of ke( notes ...

But would someone mind just stating what we need to know for vectors.... or was it all in there ?

I have taught M1 myself along the rest of AS further, so I just wanted to be less nervous about that topic.

Cheers !
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Those are a great set of ke( notes ...

But would someone mind just stating what we need to know for vectors.... or was it all in there ?

I have taught M1 myself along the rest of AS further, so I just wanted to be less nervous about that topic.

Cheers !

not included in these notes is that when Vector "R" is parallel to say (i+2j) then

R= m(i+2j)

where M is any constant

img019.jpg
Original post by KloppOClock
not included in these notes is that when Vector "R" is parallel to say (i+2j) then

R= m(i+2j)

where M is any constant

img019.jpg

Thanks for your help, that seems farily easy enough ...... after doing the past papers it seems they like using SUVAT equations as vectors...

How do you know when to use one as a vector or the magnitude ... i.e use the magnitude of the acceleration or an acceleration they give you ?
... or do you just go off the simple idea that as a vector has magnitude and direction anything that has this can be used as such.

One more thing as well.... well its really more like 2, when I was mentioning about the SUVAT equations and being used with vector equations is there any relationships I should be aware of ... I know the SUVAT equations are one of course.

Thanks for your help

Also this
Thanks for your help, that seems farily easy enough ...... after doing the past papers it seems they like using SUVAT equations as vectors...

How do you know when to use one as a vector or the magnitude ... i.e use the magnitude of the acceleration or an acceleration they give you ?
... or do you just go off the simple idea that as a vector has magnitude and direction anything that has this can be used as such.

One more thing as well.... well its really more like 2, when I was mentioning about the SUVAT equations and being used with vector equations is there any relationships I should be aware of ... I know the SUVAT equations are one of course.

Thanks for your help

Also this

im slightly confused by what you mean, could you provide an example of a question of what you mean?
Original post by KloppOClock
im slightly confused by what you mean, could you provide an example of a question of what you mean?

Sorry I didn't word that very welll,

I was talking about questions such as June 2014 Q5

As in how did you know the answers were sometimes in vector form or just a number take 5b and 5c as examples of this

Sorry for the confusion and for getting back to me so quickly :wink:
Sorry I didn't word that very welll,

I was talking about questions such as June 2014 Q5

As in how did you know the answers were sometimes in vector form or just a number take 5b and 5c as examples of this

Sorry for the confusion and for getting back to me so quickly :wink:

When you are calculating a bearing, you need it in vector form as you need to know which direction it is going in. If you know the i and j components, you can use SOH CAH TOA to find the angle and bearing. If you had the magnitude of that it would be impossible to do that as you would only know its speed.

For part C you need to use the formula R=r0+vt which requires vectors again.

Generally the only time you use magnitude is if you are using F=MA in the question, such as saying a ship has acceleration of 2 and under constant force of i+j.
You would calculate the magnitude of the force and sub it into the formula as you could not do that if it was in a vector quantity.

The other time you use magnitude is when its asking for speed, as speed is not a vector quantity as it has no direction.

I think those are the only two cases where you use magnitude? Could be more I am not thinking of.

Quick Reply

Latest