The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
Original post by SunDun111
Could you mark my sexual selection essay in that case? If you dont have time its fine just wondering.

Sure- Yep! Pm it me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by undine_monty
Two theories: Money et al proposed that when a biological male or female is born and labelled as such, the exeriences, treatments and labels shape their gender development through social influences. Proposes prenatal interaction with biological factors. If a child is treated as a boy, regardless of gender, they will accept this as their gender identity provided this is done before the sensitive age of 3.

Social role theory - Wood et al. Evolutionary explanations are able to explain physical differences, but not psychological differences. Physical differences lead to different role allocations, so men and stronger and take the role of hunting, females, childcare. These different roles lead to psychological differences with men being more aggressive and women gentle. This can also explain aggressive behaviour with men being more aggressive causing testoterone release and women are gentle due to childcare experience. Social roles form based on these difference susggesting it is a social construct rather than biological.

This is AO1.

Bruce Reimer went against this. He was raised female under the advice of Money who thought if he was treated as a girl before the sensitive age of 3 he would adopt the gender identity. He didn't and was in constant turmoil, depressed till he found out the truth and transitioned back to male at 18, stating that he was relieved. This suggests how biology can ovveride social factors.
He had a twin brother who may have influenced his gender development through similarities in appearance.His exposure to his bro may have been a confounding varable.

Gearhart et al looked at 14 genetically born males with almost no penis raised as female. At 16, 8 transitioned back to male. It's important to note that 6 reamined female giving support to the theory as nurture and environment appeared to mitigate for biological factors.

Smith and Lloyd dressed babies in non-gender s[ecific clothing and gave them male or female names. Females were treated in feminine way, males masculine way supporting MOney's theory that gender development is affected by how those are perceived and treated by others.

Bradley et al reported on ne case of a man who had sex reassignment surgery after an accident to his penis. He showed male behaviours but identified as female suggesting biological factors do not determine gender identity.

The theory shows how nature and nurture interact with biological sex being based on physical differences which leads to different roles causing psychological differences. Nature is highlighted through Bruce Reimer, nurture is highlighted with Bradley et al.

The rest of the evaluation is above in a different post.

thank you!! turns out i have an essay on this but i didn't know it was the biosocial approach:P
Anyone doing gender, can someone please explain cultural influences? :smile:
Reply 3283
Just wondering, if a question solely comes up as "evalute" for 16 marks, would you just jump into evaluation without making any mention of the theory. For example, Bandura's study supports SLT as an explanation of aggression...
You would also need to include methodological and IDA to boost evaluation marks of course. But are studies if you mention if if supports or refutes relevant to just evaluate questions or should I just talk about methodological issues of the the studies??
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
What do you include in that?? One study and a few eval points i mean 4 marks for a01 and then 8 for a02and a03? How would you structure that

I would personally do 4 AO1s and then do 3 studies and 2 IDA points. Basically just do a full plan as you would normally have for an 8+16 question and then just leave half of it out and only keep the most important bits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3285
Original post by Onica
Just wondering, if a question solely comes up as "evalute" for 16 marks, would you just jump into evaluation without making any mention of the theory. For example, Bandura's study supports SLT as an explanation of aggression...
You would also need to include methodological and IDA to boost evaluation marks of course. But are studies if you mention if if supports or refutes relevant to just evaluate questions or should I just talk about methodological issues of the the studies??

Well it says evaluate... So you evaluate you don't do A01...
Original post by evekay
thank you!! turns out i have an essay on this but i didn't know it was the biosocial approach:P

Well, writing the whole essay out wasn't a complete waste cuz it helped me to recall the info :smile:
Reply 3287
Well, writing the whole essay out wasn't a complete waste cuz it helped me to recall the info :smile:

I don't know why my social role theory talks about evolutionary theory also? Idk 😂

yeah don't get me wrong it really helped me aha! thank you:smile:
Can someone please explain Sheldon et al's study for the Reward/Need theory? I'm having trouble linking it back to the theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone explain what imposed etic is?
Reply 3291
For biological explanations of anorexia for eating behaviours is says "including neural and evolutionary" on the specification. So does that mean the it will come together like infidelity and jealousy or could it come separate for a full 24 marker? Evolutionary explanations have no research evidence so it would be hard for a 24 marker. know I'm asking silly questions, but just in case
Original post by Oiseaux
Can someone please explain Sheldon et al's study for the Reward/Need theory? I'm having trouble linking it back to the theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not using that theory as it seems kind of irrelevant to the theory :/
Original post by BethM98

It's where you apply a culture-specific method or idea to another culture. For example if you use a western method of measuring something (e.g the Strange Situation) to a non-western culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Onica
For biological explanations of anorexia for eating behaviours is says "including neural and evolutionary" on the specification. So does that mean the it will come together like infidelity and jealousy or could it come separate for a full 24 marker? Evolutionary explanations have no research evidence so it would be hard for a 24 marker. know I'm asking silly questions, but just in case

I think they usually just tell you to explain the biological explanation or psychological explanation, and neural would come under biological, whereas I think evolutionary would come on its own! Question about the psychological approach appeared last year so I wouldn't worry about it
Reply 3295
Original post by BethM98

Are you sure it's not imposed ethic?
I hope neural comes for eating :frown:
Original post by NHM
Are you sure it's not imposed ethic?

I am assuming your talking about the study for the cultural varations in gedner. Imposted Ethic is where western psychology bascially use their version/understanding of psychology on non-western societys. Inherently baised. I think at least.
Original post by NHM
Sure- Yep! Pm it me

Sent!
Reply 3299
Original post by BethM98
I think they usually just tell you to explain the biological explanation or psychological explanation, and neural would come under biological, whereas I think evolutionary would come on its own! Question about the psychological approach appeared last year so I wouldn't worry about it

So evolutionary could come up on its own as a 24 marker? :s-smilie: Surely they can't do that because there's too little to write about it so wouldn't like an 4+8 make sense. However, i do think that its unlikely to come up. But shouldn't it just come up as biological in General?

Latest

Trending

Trending