The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do the grade boundaries change depending on which topic you did? If people did not so well on gender but okay on the other two, and another person did okay on a different three would the grade boundaries be the same for all?
i panicked and forgot everything! took me a few minutes to remember theories but no AO2😣 all i did was lots of IDA, how many marks can you get just with full IDA? i am sooo anoyed
Original post by Dasaw
haha sometimes the truth hurts if it makes you feel any better i checked the grade boundaries for unit 3. And to get an A you need to average to get like between 44-48 based on the past 3 year's grade boundaries, so don't beat yourself up about it

I know, so that's basically 15 marks per section for an A
My sections were quite good (eating behavior, sleep and relationships) but of course I'm still slightly worried :tongue:
Original post by rose100lea
high or low grade boundaries?

I believe they will be mid grade boundaries due to mix feelings on the exam; around 60% for a C, 65%-70% for a B and 75% for an A.
Reply 3504
Original post by Repzehh
I believe they will be mid grade boundaries due to mix feelings on the exam; around 60% for a C, 65%-70% for a B and 75% for an A.

lol what??? those are really high grade boundaries for Psychology. Over the years, it's been like 62% for an A
Original post by Im130
lol what??? those are really high grade boundaries for Psychology. Over the years, it's been like 62% for an A

The generic grade boundaries are like 80% for an A, 70% for a B and 60% for a C. Grade boundaries have been low the past few years due to average marks pulling them down. The past few years have had really low grade boundaries.
Original post by mosahra
i panicked and forgot everything! took me a few minutes to remember theories but no AO2😣 all i did was lots of IDA, how many marks can you get just with full IDA? i am sooo anoyed

Studies count as a02 unless you missed studies out? But studies depend how you word i.e refutr supoort.
What are usually the grade boundaries on average?? Like 54 for an A??
Reply 3508
Original post by Repzehh

Those are way too high 😂😂 they've always been around the same grade boundaries!
Im really worried the examiners wouldnt be able to read my writing, anyone else? Also did anyone put limited view down as an IDA point, for a non biological explanation?
Reply 3510
Original post by Tinksy
What are usually the grade boundaries on average?? Like 54 for an A??

I think an A was 45 last year and it was even lower all the years before... So I'd say it'll be 43 -46 for an A
Thought that exam went really well! I did relationships, aggression and eating behaviour. Loopa's predictions were a success!
Reply 3512
Are marks standardised? Like for example, could it be 15 marks for an A on for eating behaviours because people did bad and like 18 marks on aggression because people did good? Or are they all the same for all topics, because it they are, then that's unfair
Reply 3513
Original post by Repzehh
The generic grade boundaries are like 80% for an A, 70% for a B and 60% for a C. Grade boundaries have been low the past few years due to average marks pulling them down. The past few years have had really low grade boundaries.

I personally don't feel this one was easier than last year.

The 4-mark breaking up might at first glance seem like they're being easy on us allowing us to get marks on one in case we're bad on the other.....but I don't think a lot of us prepared for 4-mark A01 of each theory, and so with me for instance it disrupted my sense of structure, as i didn't know what to omit, and i think it was what held me back.

And added to that, gender is probably the most popular topic chosen by schools, so a lot of people not being able to do gender schema will hopefully keep grade boundaries low
Original post by NHM
Those are way too high 😂😂 they've always been around the same grade boundaries!

Just from seeing other people's assessment on the exam from TSR and Twitter, I feel the grade boundaries will be higher.
Reply 3515
Original post by Olijm
Okay so that went awful. For the evolutionary theories for aggression it threw me so much as it didnt say "group display" or the other sub topics so i just waffled about evolution which i think was wrong. Although, i did evaluate with made up studies (they sounded true) would i get some marks? I also said IDA about the explanation being reductionist etc so that should get 1/2 marks right?
It may be a bit late to say this, but if they don't mention a specific sub topic, they're being nice and giving you a whole range to talk about. The fact that you got a bit confused is normal I guess, but, you might get a few marks based on evolution... however, without referring it aggression it'd be hard to say. Studies being made up is difficult to say as true or not but good luck. As for reductionism, once again, this is context dependent on how you said it but yes it's a valid criticism for evolutionary explanations in general as it simplifies aggressive behaviour to solely genetic factors ignoring other factors in the process.
Original post by yasx_
Even though the aggression question said explanations i.e. plural, it's still okay if you just outline and evaluate one right? A lot of people on here did 2 and I'm just wondering if you get marked down for only mentioning one.. (I don't think so though) I did sexual infidelity and jealousy
You shouldn't get marked down for mentioning one only. I personally mixed and matched between group and sexual jealousy+infidelity but that was because I found that easier. If you have enough content for one, it should be fine since it didn't specify any sub topics.
Original post by Tinksy
For evolutionary I wrote about infidelity and jealousy and uroxiode/homicide is that enough???
If you wrote what you'd normally write for a Sexual jealousy+ infidelity essay worth 8+16, yes. If you didn't, then no.
Original post by Shazam16
Hi everyone, I'm just curious for what I wrote for aggression(20) is correct or not? The question didn't specify so I wrote about xenophobia, warfare - group display however others in my class wrote about jealousy. My teacher said what I wrote was correct and we could of wrote about either as the question didn't specify. Thanks
A mix is fine, either is fine as long as enough is wrote.
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Guys, how many marks do you need to get in Unit 4 to get 100 UMS?
100 UMS is max per paper? If we go by last year's boundaries 57 at least.
Original post by toetothunder
Will I still get marks if I referred to research studies and talked about how they support/dispute the theory but did not talk about methodological flaws such as validty? (Didnt have time :frown: )

Yea, you still get AO2/3 for mentioning how they support but you'll lose out on methodological evaluation marks.

PS.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3516
So i want to know if i wrote enough for my relationships essay:

Reinforcement affect theory
May and hamilton study
A02 of study (low ecological validity)
Oversimplistic and elaborated

Social exchange theory
Sprechers study
Longitudinal study
Culturally biased

Would this be enough to get atleast 20/24 i wrote in quite alot of detail
Reply 3517
Original post by Onica
Are marks standardised? Like for example, could it be 15 marks for an A on for eating behaviours because people did bad and like 18 marks on aggression because people did good? Or are they all the same for all topics, because it they are, then that's unfair

Same for all topics.
I did relationships, gender and aggression. Lots of discussion in my class about the aggression question on evolutionary explanations but I did sexual jealously/ infidelity and group display. Hoping that will be okay
Reply 3519
Original post by Onica

Each individual essay is not graded. It's given a mark relevant to the mark criteria that examiners have. Your total marks on the paper is what determines your grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending