The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To everyone who's arguing I'm wrong about saying you needed to write about more than one explanation for evolutionary explanations of human aggression for the unit 3 paper today, because in the question it said "discuss explanations", not "explanation", please read what Saj from loopa has said himself about it.

You all relied on Saj so much for psych predictions so you maybe should also all listen to what he has to say about plural explanation asked for in questions, because he is right.
Here's a link and a screenshot of what he said, read Saj's reply to the top comment in the second paragraph, at the bottom of the page, you'll see it if you scroll: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-a-level-psychology-a2-overview-revision/Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 8.24.11 pm.pngIf you don't believe me, believe him. It's all down to how AQA marks it but I believe they will be strict as the question asked for more than 1 explanation and those who only wrote one will lose out on marks.
3/5 SZ videos
5 Media videos
AND MORE TO COME
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1WbqyvMNBEC0q1jN6nGieg
ExplanationS = it was worth 4 marks.

Use your common sense guys :smile:

They'd never ask for 2 theories for 4 marks. And I'd still argue that sexual jealousy and infidelity are two distinct explanations into human aggression.
This explanations question, i first talked about evolutionary psychology so stuff like male sexual jealousy often cited as cause for domestic violence etc this was about 5 6 lines i then talked about sexual jealousy and infidelity as an aspect of the theory by writing 3 or 4 lines such as daly and wilson that males have evolved different strategies - vigilance and violence etc. Does this get 4 marks

I then evaluated it and talked about uxoricide, would this limit the marks i get now if i outlined one theory as there is quite a lot of debate around this
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by patricio_miguel

They'd never ask for 2 theories for 4 marks. And I'd still argue that sexual jealousy and infidelity are two distinct explanations into human aggression.

Well I hope for for the sake of a lot of people you're right, and it is very possible they'd count sexual jealousy and infidelity as two different theories. However so many people on here are saying different things, like their teacher told them it was 1 topic, but an exam guide said it was 2, so we can only speculate. Also they've asked for 2 explanations with 4 marks for a01 before, so they can do it again...

Again, please read what the loopa guy had to say, he got 100% in his unit 3:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=546229&d=1465413855

If it says explanation(s) you MUST write about more than one theory. This is to demonstrate breadth, and in the markscheme for a past paper with an identical question, it says you must demonstrate breadth as well as depth. Anyway, as I said my opinion doesn't change how it will be marked, all I am basing it off is markschemes, revision guides, what my teacher has told me and what the loopa guy said. And I could be wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucy112233
Hey, how many pages did everyone write? Just wondering:biggrin: I did nearly 11:tongue:

2 full exam booklets so i think 20 pages?

My essays were an unstructured mess though LOL i kept just throwing in research and studies that came to my head. Going to lose so many structure marks
Hi i just did my exam today unit 3 for psych and for circadian rhythms i added michael siffre cambell duffy folkard and asshoff and weaver and talked about hormone production and social cues temp and light as shown in your booklet i picked out info from circadian endogenous pacemaker and exogenous zeitgebers from your loopa book which is sooooo good.will i still get marked for it if i spoke about bits from your other two essays other then circadian rhthym info so i borrowed some point of there if ygm.Also if i added a wrong study in to my essay would i get marked down for it?
is anyone else just gunna revise the predictions for unit 4? because there is far too much content to learn in four days...
Original post by patricio_miguel

This is true, both explanations have so much content that it would be hard to fit in for only 4 marks!

Spoiler

Original post by bullseye1
To everyone who's arguing I'm wrong about saying you needed to write about more than one explanation for evolutionary explanations of human aggression for the unit 3 paper today, because in the question it said "discuss explanations", not "explanation", please read what Saj from loopa has said himself about it.

You all relied on Saj so much for psych predictions so you maybe should also all listen to what he has to say about plural explanation asked for in questions, because he is right.
Here's a link and a screenshot of what he said, read Saj's reply to the top comment in the second paragraph, at the bottom of the page, you'll see it if you scroll: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-a-level-psychology-a2-overview-revision/Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 8.24.11 pm.pngIf you don't believe me, believe him. It's all down to how AQA marks it but I believe they will be strict as the question asked for more than 1 explanation and those who only wrote one will lose out on marks.

I don't believe Saj is correct. If they wanted two, they would have specified clearly, and i don't believe AQA would be so harsh
Original post by Naveed Rahman
I don't believe Saj is correct. If they wanted two, they would have specified clearly, and i don't believe AQA would be so harsh

They did, by putting an S on the end of the word explanations, it is that simple. Trust me, they would be so harsh. AQA are notorious for strict markschemes, random questions thrown into papers like the gender schema theory today, and exam questions designed to catch people out.
Reply 3792
Right guys PSYA3 is over so stop going on about it like a set of old folks with bad memory.

PSYA4 next- if anyone wants me to mark any essays on schizophrenia or media feel free to send them me via PM. This exam is easier guys! We can do this!

Research methods also :-)

Nope, they've been doing this since the existence of time itself

If there is an S, that means plural, mechanisms vs one mechanism

Do you even English bro?

By writing only one, you can't go beyond the 'Basic' mark scheme - which is half marks?
Original post by Romanoff
Nope, they've been doing this since the existence of time itself

If there is an S, that means plural, mechanisms vs one mechanism

Do you even English bro?

I actually do English Literature haha! Fair enough i get your point, but really 4 marks for A01 of both theories? I don't think so.

Sorry buddy. It's true.

See June 2014 Mark scheme PSYA3.

"Although there are technically partial performance criteria for candidates covering only one ‘explanation’, there can be substantial overlap between evolutionary explanations. Partial performance criteria will not apply, but answers restricted to a limited range of material are unlikely to move out of Basic for either AO1 or AO2/3."

If it asks for explanationS then two at the minimum is required, otherwise you will only receive partial performance marks.

Original post by bullseye1

Pretty much the exact same question that we got today was asked in January 2011: "Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression." The mark scheme says "There are no partial performance issues with this question; answers should be assessed on the depth and breadth of the material presented". No mention of the fact that the question says explanations.
Original post by Oiseaux
Pretty much the exact same question that we got today was asked in January 2011: "Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression." The mark scheme says "There are no partial performance issues with this question; answers should be assessed on the depth and breadth of the material presented". No mention of the fact that the question says explanations.

Yes, but breadth means covering info for different explanations, and this question required breadth, therefore you were likely to get marks for covering more than one theory.
People I wrote this as the 4 marker for evolutionary explanations for aggression can you say what mark this is because there is confusion that im confused about.

Evolutionists argue that the reproductive challenges faced by our ancestors can explain aggressive behavior seen in people today. A male can never be certain unless they are the father of their wife's children unless they prevent her from having other sexual relationships with other males. This can explain why male sexual jealousy is often cited as a cause for domestic violence.

One aspect of the evolutionary explanation for human aggression is sexual jealousy and infidelity. Daly and Wilson argued that males have evolved several strategies to deter a female from committing from infidelity which ranges from vigilance(watching their every move) to violence. This is all attributed to male sexual jealousy stemming from paternal uncertainty.

How many marks would u say?
Hopefully issues and classifications for schizophrenia come up for PSYA4, or any of the essays tbh they are all decent and Media is probably half application half A02 or outline

Latest

Trending

Trending