The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have just completed my second year at uni studying business information systems. I am really scared that it will be very difficult to find a job in this sector as it is very competitive. Any tips on what to do to be successful ?
Original post by No1Lion
I have just completed my second year at uni studying business information systems. I am really scared that it will be very difficult to find a job in this sector as it is very competitive. Any tips on what to do to be successful ?

As much work experience as possible.
Just finished my degree and I'm struggling to find a job in the areas I want them to be in. As I'm looking for a career in cyber security, I'm finding it difficult to find jobs that aren't in london/manchester or that require you to have 3-5 years worth of experience
Reply 4
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Just finished my degree and I'm struggling to find a job in the areas I want them to be in. As I'm looking for a career in cyber security, I'm finding it difficult to find jobs that aren't in london/manchester or that require you to have 3-5 years worth of experience

Did you do a work placement ? I did not get into any that I applied to. The only work experience I really got is customer service.
Reply 5
Yup, nowhere wants you without experience and you cant get experience while noone wants you. Vicious circle.
Original post by No1Lion
Did you do a work placement ? I did not get into any that I applied to. The only work experience I really got is customer service.

None of the ones I applied to wanted me either, but to be fair, out of my whole 40+ student course, only two got placements.

I've only got some brief retail experience.
Original post by Reue
Yup, nowhere wants you without experience and you cant get experience while noone wants you. Vicious circle.

Exactly my life :cry:
Reply 7
There are always plenty of jobs out there, you just gotta know where to look. Remember that there are plenty of smaller cyber security firms out there. I've seen 2 jobs pop up on my LinkedIn feed recently, however both are no longer accepting applications. I found my job through sheer coincidence, where a sales job was offered from the company. I didn't fancy working in sales, so I reverse-engineered the company description (there arn't many cyber security firms on Pall Mall), and hey presto.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got a 12 week placement between my 2nd and 3rd year. Been a year since my last exams and I only got another 16 weeks of employment. (I blame myself for losing it though)
It seems that if you really want a job after you graduate, all your time in between terms has to be filled with placements. Not just one year. And during uni you have to be something that makes you stand out.
Original post by ahpadt
There are always plenty of jobs out there, you just gotta know where to look. Remember that there are plenty of smaller cyber security firms out there. I've seen 2 jobs pop up on my LinkedIn feed recently, however both are no longer accepting applications. I found my job through sheer coincidence, where a sales job was offered from the company. I didn't fancy working in sales, so I reverse-engineered the company description (there arn't many cyber security firms on Pall Mall), and hey presto.

any tips on where to look? I've been looking at my linked in recommendations but they are mostly in London. I've also been looking at my uni's job site, some graduate job sites and the popular sites like reed/monster
any tips on where to look? I've been looking at my linked in recommendations but they are mostly in London. I've also been looking at my uni's job site, some graduate job sites and the popular sites like reed/monster

If you put out your CV and contact details on Reed and still don't get contact from recruiters then you definitely need to improve your soft skills (and your knowledge of IT in general if your grade wasn't good )
Reply 11

I had several job search strings registered on f.ex indeed.co.uk. Got a bunch of emails every single day.
Original post by ahpadt
I had several job search strings registered on f.ex indeed.co.uk. Got a bunch of emails every single day.

Thanks, I've done that now but a lot of them that come through are irrelevant or more senior roles and not suitable for a graduate
Reply 13
Thanks, I've done that now but a lot of them that come through are irrelevant or more senior roles and not suitable for a graduate

That is unfortunately a reality that you just gotta deal with. All part of the hunt.
so what would a person who doesnt have a programming background have to do to get into this industry
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
so what would a person who doesnt have a programming background have to do to get into this industry

1) learn to code
2) provide examples of coding
3) contribute to open-source applications
4) show that you're passionate about a particular line of IT, by going on a certification course and working towards a certification (you don't necessarily have to have one if you're only applying for entry-level roles)

that's about it, really. There's not really any job in IT that doesn't need you to do even a little bit of coding.
Original post by shawn_o1
1) learn to code
2) provide examples of coding
3) contribute to open-source applications
4) show that you're passionate about a particular line of IT, by going on a certification course and working towards a certification (you don't necessarily have to have one if you're only applying for entry-level roles)

that's about it, really. There's not really any job in IT that doesn't need you to do even a little bit of coding.

thanks for the tips. Would you happen to know of any reputable certification courses? ive tried looking for renowned ones but cant seem to get a consenus that any one in particular is held as "good for a non-computer science student" by the tech industry
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
thanks for the tips. Would you happen to know of any reputable certification courses? ive tried looking for renowned ones but cant seem to get a consenus that any one in particular is held as "good for a non-computer science student" by the tech industry

Try the Microsoft Virtual Academy https://mva.microsoft.com/, it has courses for all levels. As long as Microsoft remains relevant as an IT company most of its certifications will still hold value

I am a recruitment consultant currently looking for candidates for a cyber security analyst position, any kind of internship experience would be preferred but I am willing to send candidates with strong educational backgrounds.
Original post by shawn_o1
I got a 12 week placement between my 2nd and 3rd year. Been a year since my last exams and I only got another 16 weeks of employment. (I blame myself for losing it though)
It seems that if you really want a job after you graduate, all your time in between terms has to be filled with placements. Not just one year. And during uni you have to be something that makes you stand out.

Are you currently looking for a cyber security analyst position?

Latest

Trending

Trending