The Student Room Group

I've messed up

I've just finished my course at University at Huddersfield in Computer Science - Will very likely get a first.

Haven't enjoyed my time at uni at all, just hated the uni itself and didn't somewhat enjoy the course. I mean there were parts that I kind of did enjoy and then some parts I just hated but the teaching and lectures were just really bad, like the content that was taught to us was very basic/barebones. Pretty sure anyone could get a first if they put some work in.

Anyways, now that I've finished uni, I've started to look for graduate jobs and this is where I've messed up on. To be honest, I can't quite tell you why I didn't start looking at jobs when I began third year, I guess I just thought that I would finish university and then most of the jobs would open up around that time but......that isn't the case at all. Most graduate jobs have now closed and there's very little available now.

I don't have a lot of experience on my CV as well, the one thing that stands out is that during COVID, I built a business (no longer running) which generated quite a lot of revenue and gained over 500 customers.

So I'm in this situation now where I don't know what to do, I don't even know what sector I want to go to. I do enjoy technology, at least I think I do? During my course, I enjoyed programming quite a lot and just loved coming across issues and having to solve them. Part of me loves programming but then the other part, I just kind of think like do I really see myself as sitting at a computer and just pretty much coding every day.

Graduate jobs/schemes doesn’t seem to be likely unless I get lucky. So what should I do next? I know I should get a job but what type would I be looking for? I want to get a job in the technology sector so I can gain some experience and put it on my CV for when I go to apply for next years grad jobs. From what I’ve looked around, many part times jobs aren’t in the technology sector so I don’t know how I’ll be getting a job in a sector related to technology.

I just feel pretty lost and hopeless at this point. I've messed up my opportunity of getting a graduate job and I know I can always apply for next year but I don't know what to do right now. I'm bored, lonely with no friends and just sit on my phone, wasting time. Only thing that is keeping me going is the gym which I started last year and its brought a new meaning to my life.

Part of me is to blame but I just feel as though life always turns out **** for me. Stuff just doesn't seem to ever 'work out'. Would be a long story to explain everything and how awful my luck has been with life. I've never really had friends and during my course, I tried talking to people but it was a computer science course and people just didn't seem to want talk or even bother to have a conversation. Most people just turned up to lectures and practical's, attended and left. That's how it was with 85% of the people in the course, no exaggeration. I met one person which we talked quite a lot but after second year, they went to do placement year and they haven't really bothered to stay in touch. Last time we talked was when we finished second year.

I didn't do well in my GCSE's nor did I have a great experience at high school and the only real option was BTEC computer science which I did at college, that was awful, the course was basic and the teachers were awful. I got a D*D*D at the end which is very high but because of my GCSE’s, I was very limited on what universities I could go to as the top ones required you to have a good GCSE grades so my only option was some mid ranking uni. I thought okay, I'll finish this and have a fresh start at University where I'll actually be learning stuff. Then comes University and it's even worse, the content like I mentioned before is basic and I think 16 year old me could have completed the course so it kind of just made me hate every single aspect of uni. Pretty much just went in for the attendance and to not get kicked out of the course.

I was always looking forward to finishing uni and getting a job with hopes for another “fresh start” - I’ll get a job, be able to relocate and live by myself, get a dog which my parents never let me and possibly meet friends and life will be great. But now I’ve completely missed this opportunity and have to deal with living with my family which isn’t the worse but kind of complicated…long explanation for it.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dan192
I've just finished my course at University at Huddersfield in Computer Science - Will very likely get a first.

Haven't enjoyed my time at uni at all, just hated the uni itself and didn't somewhat enjoy the course. I mean there were parts that I kind of did enjoy and then some parts I just hated but the teaching and lectures were just really bad, like the content that was taught to us was very basic/barebones. Pretty sure anyone could get a first if they put some work in.

Anyways, now that I've finished uni, I've started to look for graduate jobs and this is where I've messed up on. To be honest, I can't quite tell you why I didn't start looking at jobs when I began third year, I guess I just thought that I would finish university and then most of the jobs would open up around that time but......that isn't the case at all. Most graduate jobs have now closed and there's very little available now.

I don't have a lot of experience on my CV as well, the one thing that stands out is that during COVID, I built a business (no longer running) which generated quite a lot of revenue and gained over 500 customers.

So I'm in this situation now where I don't know what to do, I don't even know what sector I want to go to. I do enjoy technology, at least I think I do? During my course, I enjoyed programming quite a lot and just loved coming across issues and having to solve them. Part of me loves programming but then the other part, I just kind of think like do I really see myself as sitting at a computer and just pretty much coding every day.

I just feel pretty lost and hopeless at this point. I've messed up my opportunity of getting a graduate job and I know I can always apply for next year but I don't know what to do right now. I'm bored, lonely with no friends and just sit on my phone, wasting time. Only thing that is keeping me going is the gym which I started last year and its brought a new meaning to my life.

Part of me is to blame but I just feel as though life always turns out **** for me. Stuff just doesn't seem to ever 'work out'. Would be a long story to explain everything and how awful my luck has been with life. I've never really had friends and during my course, I tried talking to people but it was a computer science course and people just didn't seem to want talk or even bother to have a conversation. Most people just turned up to lectures and practical's, attended and left. That's how it was with 85% of the people in the course, no exaggeration. I met one person which we talked quite a lot but after second year, they went to do placement year and they haven't really bothered to stay in touch. Last time we talked was when we finished second year.

You see all these people enjoying life, partying, finding a girlfriend or talking to girls while you've never spoken to one and you just think to yourself, where on earth did you go wrong. Why did my life turn out like this.

I didn't do well in my GCSE's and the only real option was BTEC computer science which I did at college, that was awful, the course was basic and the teachers were awful. I thought okay, I'll finish this and have a fresh start at University where I'll actually be learning stuff. Then comes University and it's even worse, the content like I mentioned before is basic and I think 16 year old me could have completed the course so it kind of just made me hate every single aspect of uni. Pretty much just went in for the attendance and to not get kicked out of the course.

Now part of me is thinking, I'll get a job, fresh start. Be able to move out and live by myself, get a car and a dog which my parents have never let me get and life will be great. Maybe I'll find some friends but will that really happen? Probably not considering how **** my life is.

I was in the same boat but I quickly learnt to depend on myself to ensure sustained happiness and satisfaction; you’ll eventually find a friend(s) as long as you’re open to one.

Regarding applications, if you’re not closed off to careers outside of computer science, might I suggest a career in law/civil service? Applications to Magic circle law firms are opening as early as June-December, and the Fast stream will resume recruitment in November/December - so, you’re really not too late.

Life is its own shifting structure, we just have to constantly fit our lives around it as it moves, to maintain stability for ourselves.
Original post by Dan192

You see all these people enjoying life, partying, finding a girlfriend or talking to girls while you've never spoken to one and you just think to yourself, where on earth did you go wrong. Why did my life turn out like this.

I didn't do well in my GCSE's and the only real option was BTEC computer science which I did at college, that was awful, the course was basic and the teachers were awful. I thought okay, I'll finish this and have a fresh start at University where I'll actually be learning stuff. Then comes University and it's even worse, the content like I mentioned before is basic and I think 16 year old me could have completed the course so it kind of just made me hate every single aspect of uni. Pretty much just went in for the attendance and to not get kicked out of the course.

Now part of me is thinking, I'll get a job, fresh start. Be able to move out and live by myself, get a car and a dog which my parents have never let me get and life will be great. Maybe I'll find some friends but will that really happen? Probably not considering how **** my life is.

I understand what you're going through but stop complaining. this is life. life isn't a walk in the park where you will get what you want and be lucky and always be happy. you won't always go party and have friends but that's how life works. I always say to myself that good always comes out of hard and difficult time and even when I go through difficult times I always remind myself that in the end It will be worth it. you life doesnt sound bad. you go to the gym, your doing well in your degree and your doing probably one of the best degrees out there. you have obviously displayed your potential when you created a successful business. although the road may look bleak and nothing out there but I always believe god has a plan. and he has a plan for you too.

good luck and grab life with both hands.

life isn't fair, you've got to beat it down and show it who's boss
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LegalTom
I was in the same boat but I quickly learnt to depend on myself to ensure sustained happiness and satisfaction; you’ll eventually find a friend(s) as long as you’re open to one.

Regarding applications, if you’re not closed off to careers outside of computer science, might I suggest a career in law/civil service? Applications to Magic circle law firms are opening as early as June-December, and the Fast stream will resume recruitment in November/December - so, you’re really not too late.

Life is its own shifting structure, we just have to constantly fit our lives around it as it moves, to maintain stability for ourselves.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think law/civil service would be for me. Have never really been into laws nor is it something I would probably enjoy.
Original post by Dan192

Graduate jobs/schemes doesn’t seem to be likely unless I get lucky. So what should I do next? I know I should get a job but what type would I be looking for? I want to get a job in the technology sector so I can gain some experience and put it on my CV for when I go to apply for next years grad jobs. From what I’ve looked around, many part times jobs aren’t in the technology sector so I don’t know how I’ll be getting a job in a sector related to technology.

I didn't do well in my GCSE's nor did I have a great experience at high school and the only real option was BTEC computer science which I did at college, that was awful, the course was basic and the teachers were awful. I got a D*D*D at the end which is very high but because of my GCSE’s, I was very limited on what universities I could go to as the top ones required you to have a good GCSE grades so my only option was some mid ranking uni. I thought okay, I'll finish this and have a fresh start at University where I'll actually be learning stuff. Then comes University and it's even worse, the content like I mentioned before is basic and I think 16 year old me could have completed the course so it kind of just made me hate every single aspect of uni. Pretty much just went in for the attendance and to not get kicked out of the course.

I was always looking forward to finishing uni and getting a job with hopes for another “fresh start” - I’ll get a job, be able to relocate and live by myself, get a dog which my parents never let me and possibly meet friends and life will be great. But now I’ve completely missed this opportunity and have to deal with living with my family which isn’t the worse but kind of complicated…long explanation for it.

Calm down and get some perspective, it's just one slow year at the start of the next 45 in your career. You have got a 1st in a marketable subject.

You aren't likely to be settling down, buying a house, getting a dog etc for 5-10 years anyway, if this makes it 6-11, so what?

Look for 1 year, fixed-term contracts, they are less popular, less competition. Look beyond coding jobs, look for jobs that are using IT, projects that are implementing IT systems etc. Keep any eye on your local university - they have lots of fixed term jobs and project work, same with NHS and Councils. They will all give you a tick-over income and work experience while you prepare yourself for the next graduate cycle - which starts in a few months.

If you are still in Huddersfield - look at their jobs page, they are currently advertising an apprentice role - you don't want to do that of course, but look down it - they give a contact. Email the guy with a IT CV and ask him if there might be any fixed term/project contracts suitable to a recent grad.

You are potentially in a strong position, great degree, time, get some work experience, be ready for the next grad season. But also, look for not grad jobs. Just because a job isn't advertised as a grad role, doesn't mean it isn't a role for a graduate.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Calm down and get some perspective, it's just one slow year at the start of the next 45 in your career. You have got a 1st in a marketable subject.

You aren't likely to be settling down, buying a house, getting a dog etc for 5-10 years anyway, if this makes it 6-11, so what?

Look for 1 year, fixed-term contracts, they are less popular, less competition. Look beyond coding jobs, look for jobs that are using IT, projects that are implementing IT systems etc. Keep any eye on your local university - they have lots of fixed term jobs and project work, same with NHS and Councils. They will all give you a tick-over income and work experience while you prepare yourself for the next graduate cycle - which starts in a few months.

If you are still in Huddersfield - look at their jobs page, they are currently advertising an apprentice role - you don't want to do that of course, but look down it - they give a contact. Email the guy with a IT CV and ask him if there might be any fixed term/project contracts suitable to a recent grad.

You are potentially in a strong position, great degree, time, get some work experience, be ready for the next grad season. But also, look for not grad jobs. Just because a job isn't advertised as a grad role, doesn't mean it isn't a role for a graduate.

Thanks. So should I specifically be only looking at contract jobs? There isn’t really much contract jobs out there at the moment within the technology sector besides some IT support roles which I’ve really hated/never enjoyed but at the same time, I guess i can’t really be too picky.

There are a lot of full-time jobs but I assume those aren’t ideal for me if I want to leave in a years time and probably won’t have enough experience, right?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Dan192
Thanks. So should I specifically be only looking at contract jobs? There isn’t really much contract jobs out there at the moment within the technology sector besides some IT support roles which I’ve really hated/never enjoyed but at the same time, I guess i can’t really be too picky.

There are a lot of full-time jobs but I assume those aren’t ideal for me if I want to leave in a years time and probably won’t have enough experience, right?

There are loads of fixed term and project jobs, you aren't looking in the right places. You can go for full time jobs as well, why would you give up the right full time job for a job that labelled itself 'graduate'?
Original post by Dan192

Hi @Dan192

Sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience on your course, I now work at the University and share a lot of similar steps to your story. I graduated in 2017 from BSc Computing- pretty much same course, achieved a first and also left my job hunting until after I submitted my assignments.

The best advice I have for you is not to worry and be aware you still have a lot of options at your disposal.

I had no desire for a career in tech after I graduated. The thing you enjoy about programming- the problem solving, frustrated me to no end. I was capable but also like you, didn't want to spend all day everyday coding. I opted for a career change and went into marketing, through my first roles as a grad, it allowed me to express my creativity through graphic design, web design & CMS and video but in a less frustrating and pressure driven environment. I started my career at the University and with a couple moves internally and externally I went from a general assistant then marketing assistant, Digital Marketing Manager and am now an Officer. I love my change in career and feel assured that my job satisfaction is much higher where I am now than if I stayed in tech.

In terms of your options- much like other contributors have mentioned in here, a Grad Scheme isn't a be all, end all. There are plenty of roles suitable for graduates that don't have 'Graduate' in the job title. I have worked within a Careers Service and have a mixed opinion of graduate schemes due to experience with scheme operators and feedback from grads on them.

Grad Schemes are very much suited to a specific type of person, typically someone who is financially driven. Most grad schemes aren't overly well paid in the learning process with the promise of recoupment upon completion of the scheme. The pay for most roles suitable to a fresh graduate, match that of a graduate scheme but in a far less pressured environment, typically with less hours and a healthier work-life balance. To put it short, a grad scheme is a challenging and intensive first few years with typically higher salary following the scheme but retention rates aren't amazing and if you realise you don't like the job, you could get stuck with a bill if you leave the scheme.

In terms of next steps:
- Go visit the Careers Service at the University - I'd recommend this regardless of what your next steps are, service is free to all students and graduates of the university, they can help with job searching, career planning and assessment centres/interviews etc. https://students.hud.ac.uk/opportunities/careers/ it will just help you voice your opinions and thoughts and receive impartial advice.

- If you are set on a grad scheme you could restart your business for a year while waiting for applications to open in September, you can receive graduate support from the University Enterprise team in terms of business plans, shared work spaces etc, details: https://students.hud.ac.uk/opportunities/enterprise/

- Find a role that may not be career driven- a job to pay the bills while you await the grad schemes reopening and this will still teach you transferrable skills that help in the workplace. Won't be as intense and could allow you the flexibility to go to recruitment days for your schemes.

- Put grad schemes on the backburner and just start your career now- get in touch with recruiters to see if they have any roles suitable for you and start looking for career type roles and see if you like that transition. You could start your career and realise you enjoy it, and not go back to grad schemes. But if you still do want a grad scheme, you now have 1 years worth of relevant experience.

Apologies for the long answer but I hope I addressed some of your concerns. If you have any more questions just reply back :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, University of Huddersfield.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending