The Student Room Group

Retraining after undergraduate degree?

Hi all,

I have recently finished my undergraduate degree which I finished in July 2023. Since then I have been unemployed which I understandably have found very difficult. Part of the problem is that I have no interest whatsoever in doing anything related to my undergraduate degree (Film & Media related) because I did not enjoy it very much.

I don't know how I go about retraining aside from doing a Masters which I don't want to do as there's no guarantee of a job at the end and I'll be in more debt at the end of it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Do you have a lot of experience in film and media type work? Anything else you fancy doing?
Reply 2
look into graduate schemes or apprenticeships, a lot of them will take people from any degree background
Original post by ajj2000
Do you have a lot of experience in film and media type work? Anything else you fancy doing?

Not really a lot of experience in film/media. I would like to go into something computer related.
Original post by Pedr0
look into graduate schemes or apprenticeships, a lot of them will take people from any degree background

I got into two graduate schemes (one which was going to last a year and the other was just over the summer) and I didn't get anything as a result because there were no placements available so needless to say I am every much reluctant to continue to apply for graduate schemes. Moreover I struggle (often fail) with the psychometric tests and most graduate schemes require a psychometric test.

I cannot get an apprenticeship as I have a degree (before commencing my degree I did a year long foundation degree which was level 4 and this disqualified me for most apprenticeships which are level 3 so I struggle to understand how I will now get an apprenticeship as I now have a level 5 qualification) so this option is out of the question.
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I got into two graduate schemes (one which was going to last a year and the other was just over the summer) and I didn't get anything as a result because there were no placements available so needless to say I am every much reluctant to continue to apply for graduate schemes. Moreover I struggle (often fail) with the psychometric tests and most graduate schemes require a psychometric test.

I cannot get an apprenticeship as I have a degree (before commencing my degree I did a year long foundation degree which was level 4 and this disqualified me for most apprenticeships which are level 3 so I struggle to understand how I will now get an apprenticeship as I now have a level 5 qualification) so this option is out of the question.

there are apprenticeships that are level 6 or 7 that will accept people with bachelors degree
https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/WhatsNext/Apprenticeships/Level7(HigherorProfessional)Apprenticeships.aspx

edit : example https://careerfinder.ucas.com/job/1630045/level-6-apprentice-engineer-digital-technology-solutions/?LinkSource=PromotedJob
i think you're eligible as though you have a degree it's not in a similar field
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Pedr0
there are apprenticeships that are level 6 or 7 that will accept people with bachelors degree
https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/WhatsNext/Apprenticeships/Level7(HigherorProfessional)Apprenticeships.aspx

Will check it out, thank you!
Reply 7
Will check it out, thank you!

edited my earlier post but heres the example so u get a notif haha
https://careerfinder.ucas.com/job/1630045/level-6-apprentice-engineer-digital-technology-solutions/?LinkSource=PromotedJob
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Not really a lot of experience in film/media. I would like to go into something computer related.

ok - so not really a career change and at least you don't have to worry about losing the benefit of built up experience.

Have you checked for advice on IT careers forums? Maybe see if there are apprenticeships available, or if you could get some experience in a helpdesk job and progress from there?
Do you have any substantial work experience?

Even standard office job experience would be helpful.

Likewise- what experience do you have with computers? Have you done many code academy courses/projects? Do you have your own website demonstrating your web development skills?
Original post by ajj2000
ok - so not really a career change and at least you don't have to worry about losing the benefit of built up experience.

Have you checked for advice on IT careers forums? Maybe see if there are apprenticeships available, or if you could get some experience in a helpdesk job and progress from there?

I haven't done so, but I will try to. I asked my careers service and they said it would be borderline impossible to get an apprenticeship due to my age (I am 26) and because I have a degree. I haven't looked into helpdesk jobs but I think they are a non starter as well because I have no experience.

Will check it out thanks!
Original post by PQ
Do you have any substantial work experience?

Even standard office job experience would be helpful.

Likewise- what experience do you have with computers? Have you done many code academy courses/projects? Do you have your own website demonstrating your web development skills?

In answer to your questions:
1 No. I was unemployed for most of the time before I started my degree and even then it wasn't paid and was unrelated to anything to do with IT.

2.I have no experience in IT and I haven't done any code academy courses/projects. I don't know how to make a website so the answer to this question is no.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 13
I haven't done so, but I will try to. I asked my careers service and they said it would be borderline impossible to get an apprenticeship due to my age (I am 26) and because I have a degree. I haven't looked into helpdesk jobs but I think they are a non starter as well because I have no experience.

1) Get a new careers advisor as that is terrible advice.

2) Helpdesk jobs recruit people with no experience - every single person working a helpdesk job started doing helpdesk without experience.
Original post by ajj2000
1) Get a new careers advisor as that is terrible advice.

2) Helpdesk jobs recruit people with no experience - every single person working a helpdesk job started doing helpdesk without experience.
I'll look into it ty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending